Bongofish
August 24, 2019, 03:35:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: To mac or not to mac...  (Read 11846 times)
Claymonkey

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 03:33:11 PM »

Glad to hear your'e liking the new rig.  I've been surprised that the Mac price has evened out lately. It's only a few hundred bucks more than a PC of the same hardware. The fact that it IS the same hardware these days still blows my mind. On that note it sounds like you're enjoying Boot Camp?  It's basically a small subset of the intel/nvidia chipsets and works pretty much how you'd expect so Boot Camp 'just works' for the most part from what I've seen from others using it.

Personally though, I fall under the same camp of a lot of others here. I've been a DOS/Windows guy for so long that OS X just annoys the tarp out of me.  It's 'user friendly' but in a way that annoys me. Puts stuff out in front I only kind of care about and the tweaks and simple touches I want are buried or not there.. that and I am not a keyboard shortcut guy.. I want right click and I want it now Wink  This comes from a guy who went to art school and bucked the trend then and makes a living in IT and sees Macs only when they break since I can fix them Wink

Still. It sounds like you're enjoying it and more power to you!!!

Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.
AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 06:31:44 PM »

How high end are we talking?

A few months ago I was pricing out some 8-core 64-bit workstations, and the Mac version was actually like $50 cheaper than the equivalent HP or Dell systems. They're actually really competitive these days on at least that end of the scale.

For regular personal computers I'm sure PCs still come in at way less.
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 09:12:55 PM »

Glad to hear your'e liking the new rig.  I've been surprised that the Mac price has evened out lately. It's only a few hundred bucks more than a PC of the same hardware. The fact that it IS the same hardware these days still blows my mind. On that note it sounds like you're enjoying Boot Camp?  It's basically a small subset of the intel/nvidia chipsets and works pretty much how you'd expect so Boot Camp 'just works' for the most part from what I've seen from others using it.

Personally though, I fall under the same camp of a lot of others here. I've been a DOS/Windows guy for so long that OS X just annoys the tarp out of me.  It's 'user friendly' but in a way that annoys me. Puts stuff out in front I only kind of care about and the tweaks and simple touches I want are buried or not there.. that and I am not a keyboard shortcut guy.. I want right click and I want it now Wink  This comes from a guy who went to art school and bucked the trend then and makes a living in IT and sees Macs only when they break since I can fix them Wink

Still. It sounds like you're enjoying it and more power to you!!!
Macbook/All newer laptops (since Macbook started).
Two fingers on the trackpad+click= right click
CTRL+Click=right click
You can even buy a mouse that has a right click.
Mac wins (no fights!)

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »

CTRL+Click=right click
Mac wins (no fights!)

How is that winning? At the very best (with a regular 3 button mouse) it matches the same functionality of a PC's right-click. With anything else it's still more complicated.

The only thing I have against Macs is the fact that they have the Ctrl and Command keys backwards. I HATE going from Photoshop on a PC to Photoshop on a Mac. Makes me want to punch people. And I know you can remap them, but I don't have that luxury when I'm using computers that belong to other people.

Otherwise I've got no problem with Macs, and I think they're all in all really nice machines. I might even be using a Mac if my 3D app of choice (Softimage|XSI) ran on anything other than Windows and Linux. I mean sure, I could go with Maya, but no thanks.  Grin
Claymonkey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 06:56:58 PM »

CTRL+Click=right click
Mac wins (no fights!)

meh - that's at best tacked on functionality that isn't there by default for the most part. Again, my dislike of using them is a personal taste thing. More than happy for anyone that loves them.  The biggest thing for me is that I tend to upgrade $50-300 at a time. I don't have that luxury with a Mac. Now if I could get a used intel mac mini for $250 so I could play.. yeah more than likely.

Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 02:33:10 PM »

I have used macs for around 13 years and love 'em.  I also have used pc's for around 6-7 years (consistently).  I use photoshop on both and a few times I will hit the wrong keys for shortcuts and ctrl/command keys.  But I'm used to it now and its fine for me Cheesy

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Le_renard

Born to be (Oscar) Wild(e)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 09:59:25 AM »

Hello guys,
I'm using both os/hardware for music and graphic stuff...
I own a 20" white Intel iMac, a P4 Laptop running XP... I must say that I never owned any real "high-end" pc.
To be honest I really disliked Mac and OS 9 and early X... but I'm now really into it.
This iMac must have been restarted 10 times in 2 1/2 half... the only randomly crashing app is VLC !
A couple of months ago, I tried another option, the naughty OSX86...
I managed to get parts to buy a working mac "clone" and installed Leopard on it... it runs perfectly !
I even bought two second-hands BenQ screens designed for Mac Mini, a white Apple keyboard & mouse...
I use a XP (no vista !) / Leopard dual boot...
That's clearly not a "high-end" solution, but this way, I can use Mac OS X and upgrade my computer whenever I want...

oh, and by the way... it's a pity Adobe CS3 doesn't run native on Linux, because the Debian-based (like Ubuntu/Kubuntu) distributions are great and offer you this feeling to have an OS as reliable and safe as OS X, but letting you tweak, adapt and "control" it...

Gem

May your pencils stay sharp and your lines true

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 03:34:54 AM »

Glad your rig worked out for ya  Smiley

I personally have to go between windows, osx, and centOS at school, and I have to say, I hate them all  Grin  Nothing like being halfway through printing a 36 inch image (which takes about 40 minutes and a shitton of paper/ink) only to unplug your mp3 player from your mac and have it stop the print(WTF)...or having to work for hours to get a 5 button mouse working in Linux...or dealing with the retarded networking and file sharing implementations in windows.

At least macs are pc's now so I can triboot on my pc notebook.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: