Bongofish
December 05, 2019, 11:30:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with power supply for Cintiq  (Read 8124 times)
cash68
New Poster

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2007, 05:59:38 AM »

Okay, I was going to build one, but then I came across a deal on a REAL cintiq, sans power supply.  It needs 18VDC, 2.5A, and the manual says the max consumption is 45w or less.   So I checked Wacom, and they are backordered.  I bought a power supply for a Cintiq 15x from LCDPAYLESS on ebay, but it turns out those guys are total incompetent jackasses, as they shipped me 2 power supplies neither of which are 18 volts, and neither of which have the right connector.     So ......

Any ideas?
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 07:35:04 AM »

How wierd is the connector?

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
cash68
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 04:57:52 PM »

The connector is the least of my worries.   I can just solder it in, or solder a connector from radioshack onto a power supply.  THe big issue is finding an 18 VDC power supply that meets the requirments above.

- Rob
Geo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 07:31:48 PM »

There is a lot of online shops who sell the power supply (brick) for the cintiq 15X I'm not sure where you live. but wacoms own online shop has them... even if they are a bit of a rip off. But if they are still sold out try.

For the us try
http://www.coolgraphicstuff.com/cintiq15x-ac-power-adapter-c-13-p-1-pr-137.html <- very nice shop

For Europe try
http://www.tablet4u.eu/   <- i have no exp if they are good or not... and now I check it don't seem like they have power supply's but can ask

Just to add my power brick says 18v 3.33A not 2.6A (maybe its UK vs US stuff)
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 10:22:20 AM »

You can probably overvolt that by a volt or two with no ill effects whatever. Most kit is say nominally 12v but could use anything from 10v-14v. 

Amperage is not a problem since thats a measure of the power requirement so anything bigger than 2.5A is fine. 

cash68
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 07:41:00 PM »

There is a lot of online shops who sell the power supply (brick) for the cintiq 15X I'm not sure where you live. but wacoms own online shop has them... even if they are a bit of a rip off. But if they are still sold out try.

They are on backorder.  I called them yesterday, and they told me that backorder means they are never ordering anymore again.   I asked why they don't just put 'discontinued', but they couldn't tell me why that wasn't stated.  In either event, any place that is selling them on backorder will never receive another shipment of them again.

Same deal.  :|
cash68
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 07:47:18 PM »

You can probably overvolt that by a volt or two with no ill effects whatever. Most kit is say nominally 12v but could use anything from 10v-14v. 

Amperage is not a problem since thats a measure of the power requirement so anything bigger than 2.5A is fine. 

The cintiq says it needs 18volts.  I'm pretty sure only 12 volts wouldn't cut it.
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 11:53:19 AM »

Yeah, that's not what I meant.  For an 18V requirement it ought to be OK with a 19V supply, which are fairly common for laptops.

cash68
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 06:10:02 PM »

Okay, I found a 19volt PS.  Are you SURE that will work?  I don't want to fry this thing.  :\
AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 06:56:30 PM »

Make sure the amp draw is at least what it says on the Cintiq. i.e., If it needs 3 amps, make sure the supply has at least 3. more amps won't hurt it, less might.

And also, make sure the connector fits well, and that the positive/negative points of the connector line up with those on the Cintiq. If the positive and negative are reversed, that could fry it.

1 extra volt shouldn't hurt anything.
cash68
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 02:33:57 AM »

I don't now how to tell which should be negative and which should be positive.  This is such a pain in the ass.  Anyone want to buy a REAL cintiq, sans power supply?   
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 12:20:12 PM »

Have you had the back off it? It's probably printed on the circuit board.

cash68
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 01:19:41 AM »

Problem SOLVED.  Smiley

http://www.xoxide.com/universal-notebook-ac-dc-power-adapter.html
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 02:35:30 PM »

Cool. So is there a label by the cintiq power socket showing which way round is positive?

cash68
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 08:24:28 PM »

No, there isn't.   I took a guess and guessed right.  The center pin is positive, the barrel is negative/ground.

I WIN!!!    Real working cintiq for under $800 wooooooot.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: