test1
October 20, 2017, 02:19:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: All you need to know about FFC's (Flat Flexible Cables)  (Read 61239 times)
buildorbust

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2011, 09:44:11 PM »

Hey guys, I need a longer cable. I count 20 pins with two white rows on either side. Does this count as 20-pin or 22-pin? If it's 22-pin, it would make it .5mm pitch which would seem like the right thing but I wanted to check before I go ordering anything.

Edit: ok, I'm an idiot. It was 20. Lines not contacts  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 11:56:25 PM by buildorbust » Logged
buildorbust

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2011, 05:13:53 AM »

Assuming they are both the same pitch & #pins, is something like this:

materially compatible with something like this:

TIA!
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2011, 05:29:30 AM »

yes -- it should be fine -- watch that it is not "reverse". Some FFC have the connection face on different side of the cable -- if you follow what I mean) -- Most of them have the connection on the same side -- like your second photo.

I hope you found a cheap source for this. A lot of people tend to sell those things.
buildorbust

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2011, 05:35:51 AM »

yes -- it should be fine -- watch that it is not "reverse". Some FFC have the connection face on different side of the cable -- if you follow what I mean) -- Most of them have the connection on the same side -- like your second photo.

I hope you found a cheap source for this. A lot of people tend to sell those things.

It's from digikey: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=104631475&uq=634514642475842030

"Termination Style   Top on Both Sides, Backers Both Sides"

That means that it's same both sides right?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 05:35:23 AM »

dunno : your link goes nowhere it appears.
buildorbust

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 06:18:50 AM »

dunno : your link goes nowhere it appears.

Sorry, worked for me because the link was still in cache. Part number is HFF-50U-06-ND
haunted
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 12:21:46 PM »

i think it's a straight, normal ffc here, it's usually specified if inverted.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 09:22:02 PM »

Well, depends what you call "normal" or "reversed" -- because if the contacts are on the same side, this has the net effect of reversing the signals! ---  pin1 will connect to pin30 and then  pin2 to pin29, etc.
buildorbust

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2011, 12:43:44 AM »

Well, depends what you call "normal" or "reversed" -- because if the contacts are on the same side, this has the net effect of reversing the signals! ---  pin1 will connect to pin30 and then  pin2 to pin29, etc.

Granted I don't know much about electrical, but it would seem to me that they'd normally just have the receiving end set up in reverse so it matches 1:1
buildorbust

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2011, 04:55:20 AM »

Thanks for the confirmation, received the cables, but now I need to figure out something for shielding things since the only way I can get interference-free use is with both pen buttons disabled. I also notice that the interference seems to be the worst when the control boards were over the tablet's active area. If I had to do it again, I would probably go an inch larger and gotten new since I needed to scale-down the screen anyway.

Also I was wondering what's the closest you can usually have the LCD to the tablet surface w/o causing trouble if you know off-hand. I'm going to play with the distances some but I think I need to minimize the distance still if I'm going to try to add a glass pane in front.

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2011, 06:45:43 PM »

"when the control boards were over the tablet's active area"

I am not sure I follow -- are you saying you have circuit boards stuck between the tablet and the lcd ?  (like the lcd circuit boards for instance?).  I never heard that it ever work with a circuit board or metallic object in between.
buildorbust

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2011, 07:14:20 PM »

"when the control boards were over the tablet's active area"

I am not sure I follow -- are you saying you have circuit boards stuck between the tablet and the lcd ?  (like the lcd circuit boards for instance?).  I never heard that it ever work with a circuit board or metallic object in between.

No, I had to take the screen apart in order to get it thin enough. I also needed to remove the front plate in order to line up the tablet with it properly. I'm going to try to bend that front bezel (and tape to prevent short) so I can put it back on while allowing to ribbons out. The LCD circuit boards clearly need to be covered though. I'm also trying to figure something out about a case so I can get the other boards underneath it, since that seemed to work better when I originally tried (before I got the extensions to line stuff up better.).

I have the other circuit boards to the side of the sandwich, but either because I took off that front bezel (metal) or because of directionality, I get more interference. I may also see about shielding the extension interconnect cables from the lcd to the control board.
haunted
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2011, 08:15:33 PM »

Well, depends what you call "normal" or "reversed" -- because if the contacts are on the same side, this has the net effect of reversing the signals! ---  pin1 will connect to pin30 and then  pin2 to pin29, etc.

yeah obviously the word change from everyone ^^,  for me the ffc linked by build' is the most typical ffc ! (not reversed inverted..)

this link can help a lot i think (even if i'm sure many of us had already found out this pdf !).

By the way, i experienced myself the normal/non reverse or inverted ffc today.. i thought my screen was dead.. got a screen full of vertical multicolor stretched pixels :/ but everything's ok  ! gotta find ffc again now.. =)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:17:22 PM by haunted » Logged
buildorbust

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2011, 08:56:35 PM »

Those are also symptoms of a loose connection between the LCD boards and your control board (ie you didn't connect properly) so one thing to try before buying more cables. That's exactly how mine looked before I replugged everything in.
buildorbust

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2011, 06:12:01 PM »

So I could really use an extension adapter to get some more distance on one of the FFCs so all the boards are out of the way, but DIY-beamer doesn't seem to make the right pin/pitch I need. Will it work if I get a PCB for the same pitch but higher pin count and then just tape it up good with kapton or electrical to keep them paired tight?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: