Bongofish
December 16, 2017, 02:09:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chingwa's Build Log  (Read 21767 times)
chingwa

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2006, 04:05:40 AM »

Well me being the idiot that I am, I accidentally fried the power board!  I tried to shield the board with a piece of thin sheet metal, but I wasn't careful enough and part of the metal was touching the back of the board, right against a welded join point.  I supplied power to the board and instantly heard a nice POP.  checking the boards there was a couple small round burn makrs against the shielding material.  I friend the power board Sad

I have a couple options now, write the lcd company and see if they will sell me a replacement part, try and find a replacement part on ebay, find a new 3rd party replacement board (doubt this is possible) or get a whole new lcd/board setup.

Either way, I think I'm gonna cool it on this project for a few days.  I've spent way too much time and energy on this so far and to have it pop in my face is rather disheartening.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2006, 10:20:38 AM »

Wow, that's gutting.  Sorry to hear that.

Give it some time off, but don't lose the dream. Breaking things is part of the process of learing how to hack things, I should know.

You could probably get the same monitor on ebay with a broken screen really cheap, or keep an eye out, perhaps someone corporate will be throwing monitors out.  Something will turn up I'm sure.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 02:14:02 PM by Drewid » Logged

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
r3d373
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2006, 09:38:32 PM »

@ chingwa. Bummer about frying the board, sory to hear it.
From the pics earlier in this thread, it appears your monitor uses the same power board as an Acer 1916w monitor. I'll take another look thru the parts list and give you some numbers you can check against your board. Hopefully it'll widen the range of monitors you could look for.

@ Drewid. I prolly used the wrong word about the ccfl voltage. I'm not 100% certain what type of current the bulbs use. I meant "rectified" as in the correct voltage and protection from any power spikes.
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2006, 10:39:40 PM »

@ r3d373.   Grin  Hey guy, really, don't imagine I have any idea what I'm talking about. Roll Eyes

bal8664
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2006, 05:18:23 PM »

Don't sweat it man, you're not the first one to break something attempting this project.  I ripped the FFC to the lcd in half on a 15" Dell lcd I bought for 100$.  But after enough ebay hunting I found A replacement screen for 40$, I thought what a great deal and bought it right away.... before realizing it was the wrong model number.  Then luckily, I found the correct model, and it should be here later this week.

Check the actual power board for a model number on it somewhere and search around for that.
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2006, 05:47:52 PM »

I think you're right,  I reckon every project has at least one disaster.  (Is that the same as " you're not a biker till you had one crash?") Cry

It's possible to repair FFCs, with sandpaper and an extension kit. (I've not tried this yet but read it somewhere).
If you cut it neatly across , stick a bit of insulating tape about 1/4" (5mm) from the cut end,  sand "along the grain" gently till you clean off the insulation between the tape and the end. Not too much or you'll remove the tracks as well.  gently remove the tape starting from the non-sanded side.
I'll put this on the list for write ups with pictures for the tips section.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 05:59:32 PM by Drewid » Logged

chingwa

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2006, 01:15:40 AM »

hehehe thanks guys.  Thanks for the encouragement.  I'm definately not done with this sucker, but I am taking a rest... and I keep thinking those 22" widescreens will go insanely on sale after christmas Cheesy
SchwarzerPrinz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2006, 06:32:17 PM »

Aw - man what a pity you broke that power board. Because it would have been way easier to outsource the whole power board into a little plastic box. (Build your own external transformator)
You're lucky enough to have a monitor with internal power supply which can be dispatched from the other electronic rather easily. So i suggest as soon as you've got a replacement to stop any further shielding attempts and move the whole power board outside of the actual tablet containment.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: