test1
April 29, 2017, 04:32:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo DS64  (Read 5360 times)
AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2007, 07:16:06 PM »

If any of you has a Nintendo DS, you know they're really tiny and hard to hold if you've got bigger hands, and the ergonomics of them are pretty terrible.

I was holding mine the other day, and I thought to myself, "Hey, myself. This thing really needs some handles." I checked online and found that there were companies who make grips for the DS, but those products are just two handle jobs that range from $20 to $30, and none of them look especially comfortable.

So, armed with the Dremel tool my younger brothers bought me for Christmas, I attacked an unsuspecting Nintendo 64 Controller and created the beast you see below.

Now if you knew me, you might ask, "Hey, Andy, I know you normally hate the N64 controller. Why use one of those things instead of something you prefer, like a PlayStation or Gamecube controller?"

Well let me tell you.

There are some games on the DS that use the touch screen as a control stick, like Super Mario 64, Rayman, Metriod Prime Hunters, etc.
But if you've ever played these games, you've inevitably found yourself asking, "Who the hell designed this? And what the hell kind of hands did he have to think that this was a comfortable setup to play a game with?"
It's nearly impossible to use your thumb on the touch screen comfortably.

Enter the ever-unconventional N64 controller and its infamous center grip.

Taking advantage of the controller's third leg, you now have the perfect means by which to hold the DS and use your thumb on the touch screen at the same time!
Let me tell you, it's 100x better than trying to do it before.

Future mods to come:
If you're familiar with the N64 controller, you know that it holds memory cards and such in the back. I'm probably going to see if I can hollow out a memory card and use it to store two or three DS games, and have it so it still just locks into the back of the controller when I don't need it.

I'll probably drill out some holes to stash extra styli in the handles as well.

Cheers,
Andy

Comments and suggestions welcome.
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 08:08:36 PM »

Thats pretty cool

Instead of a memory card. use one of those rumble packs

much bigger lol
And the motor inside of a rumble pack can be very useful

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 10:59:36 PM »

Thats pretty cool

Instead of a memory card. use one of those rumble packs

much bigger lol
And the motor inside of a rumble pack can be very useful

I would, but I have a memory card. Don't have a rumble pak.  Grin
And I've got so many tiny electric motors (many many PlayStation controllers, RC Cars, and tiny hand held fans have lost their lives in this house) that I don't know what to do with them all.

I'm asking around though, see if anybody I know is willing to part with a rumble pak for like $5 or so.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 11:11:05 PM by AndreZX » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 02:30:49 PM »

Neat idea that man.

Nicely done.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Angelina_Apr
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 11:55:50 AM »

Its true. A man needs a big stylus. 

On another note, If you have 2 Nintendo DSs, and a copy of Super Mario World you can link them and play some really awesome mini games. 

Cant wait for FF3 remastered, re released and Yoshis Island. 

Anyone buying a WII or PS3?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: