Bongofish
December 11, 2019, 12:15:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: success ** Samtiq II ** amazing images on page 6  (Read 78314 times)
Rumi

Mad Artist/Scientist

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2007, 07:18:12 AM »

Here is an update on the Samtiq:

After a lot of discussions with the glass shop about how 2mm glass is too thin and very easily broken, I ordered a circular piece of 3mm glass to be used for the working surface of the Samtiq. The glass has 3 holes drilled in it and bolts into the wood underneath it and then the little metal knobs screw ontop of that to hide the bolts.

I started by placing the glass on top of the Samtiq and marking where the screen was going to be. I then masked off the underside of the glass and started painting the glass black. Oh I made a Samtiq logo stencil and painted that orange before going over it with black. Need to wait for the logo to dry completely before starting with the black, which I didnt do and so I had to do a bit of a fix up later. Anyway it will look really messy painting the back of the glass but when you turn it around you get this even smooth colour (just like they used to paint animation cells). I had to do 4 or 5 coats of the black to make sure all the holes were filled. Here is a shot of me painting the glass:

Then I just marked where the bolts were going to be and drilled the wood and that was it. I am happy with the look of the unit now. Since I have the protective glass I can now use full pressure without worrying about damaging the LCD, although the glass is a bit too smooth and doesnt have the grip feel of paper but I hear that the felt nibs from wacom help with that. Here are more shots of the unit:

Tanassi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2007, 08:46:57 AM »

WWWOOOWWW!

Rumi... it's totally cool!!! Grin

... Vince

btw: do you use PAP (plastic animation paper) for your animations? how do you feel it? i would like to use it for rough animatics.

Rumi

Mad Artist/Scientist

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2007, 08:58:35 AM »

Thanks Vince! Smiley
And thanks to Drew and everyone in the forum!

I think PAP is great and I am looking to purchase it. As a matter of fact I was about to transfer the money when I found out that the license will be tied to a specific machine, so I have been running around like a headless chicken trying to install windows xp on a dell laptop that doesn't have a working internal CD and these old Dell's cannt boot up from an external USB. It's been a nightmare, I almost got the install going across the net using PXE and tftp but not quite, wasted a lot of precious time on this. Anyway now I have purchased a second hand CD module from ebay and have to wait for it to arrive and then I can purchase PAP. I think it will be a great tool for my animation course.

Tanassi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2007, 09:12:44 AM »

i'm happy for you man!
will you show up any moviie of you using it?
... Vince

Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2007, 09:23:38 AM »

Rumi,  that's got to be one of the most impressive builds I've seen.  Words fail me, it's just very very lovely.

Stick a pic in the gallery thread please

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
naspc

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2007, 01:03:59 PM »

thanks for the advice.

Man that is one hell of a build, great job!
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2007, 05:48:11 PM »

Rumi,  that's got to be one of the most impressive builds I've seen.  Words fail me, it's just very very lovely.

Stick a pic in the gallery thread please
Considering we have had like 3 builds lol, thats not much to say,

But yes, I have to say

THAT IS FUCKING SICK

You should make me one
(for free of course  Cheesy)

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
greenuns

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2007, 07:04:25 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
simply amazing
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2007, 10:01:26 PM »

I'm going to say it again, that's an amazing piece of work sir. When I was talking about impressive builds I wasn't meaning just tablets.

I was worried for a while back there with the earlier jittery results we were getting and the various breakages, but not only have you produced a working Samtiq, it's a beautifully finished and wonderfully practical working Samtiq.  Thank you for sharing your build with us all.

I sincerely hope it serves you well through your animation course.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 10:03:44 PM by Drewid » Logged

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2007, 10:33:48 PM »

PAP is free btw

http://www.plasticanimationpaper.dk/

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
dynam1c

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2007, 10:40:16 PM »

Rumi my man that is just too sweet.. you have done the revolution proud !

You are now grand poobaa !

I dont envy you at all.. I just hate you with a vengance for being so much better then me at this moment in time Tongue

But thats one damn ass reflective piece of art, I mean shit you could come your hair brush your teeth do your tie in that ! Its a damn mirror, which will come in handy when you want to animate facial expressions.. ! Trust me !

but yeh your great nice one, now post it in the completed builds topic and draw us a funky pic using it..

wacom = 0
US LOT = 12000 (rumis build is worth the extra 11998)

Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2007, 11:44:32 PM »

Wow thats awesome. Great work man, super proud.

Now make a 21inch version and ebay the bad boy.

Messyhair

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2007, 06:16:04 AM »

Very nice, looks like I need to get myself some tools and get started....

Mess
Jthomasc
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2007, 04:27:50 PM »

Rumi,

Lovely result, very much along the lines of what I would like to achieve. I have a traditional animation desk from Disney and I would like to gear my build to fit in the standard acme disc hole already in the desk.

The thing I notice about your build and what I would ask is the diameter of the final disc, looking at your photos it seems quite large. Much larger than would allow for my desk. This seems to be derived from your having that bit of the monitor cards laying flat above the lcd itself along with the ffc running flat off to the left as well.

I wonder do you think it would be possible to build so as that bit could rest more at 90 degress, swept back from the monitor? Since the goal is not to make it as thin as possible but rather control the overall size of the disc.

Was it an issue of interference/shielding to have it configured like this?

Many thanks,
J.
DonShole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2007, 06:39:47 PM »

Cool Allow me to add my congratulations - Excellent build !

EZ CINTIQ. How to build a DIY Cintiq, it's  easier than a DIY PC! www.tabletmod.com
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: