Bongofish
December 14, 2019, 04:54:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone thought of putting a laptop backing?  (Read 8302 times)
e.Bond
New Poster

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2008, 05:37:22 PM »

Hey guys, well I'm new to this whole thing, and I'm planning on building a DIY Cintiq thanks to all the great people and stuff on this forum. But I have a question, I think maybe after I'm done with the Cintiq, I'm going to add a laptop backing onto it, so it is a computer all in itself and then I can take it anywhere...What do you think?

1. more question...
If I do the laptop backing can I still plug it into my desktop and use it as a normal tablet, or no, because its actually a computer?
AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 05:44:14 PM »

Here's the basic breakdown... if you go with a normal sim-tiq first and then decide to make it a laptop unit, you're going to have to buy an LVDS controller to convert the laptop's video signal to either VGA or DVI for your monitor. These are usually one or two hundred dollars, and you have to make sure you get the right kind for your specific laptop.

If you started with a laptop, though, you could probably just use the the screen from the laptop itself and build around that so you wouldn't need a video convertor.

I'd be worried about interference from the laptop though. Those things are a lot of powerful electronics packed into a tiny box. I think somebody managed to build the sensor from a 6x8 wacom into the screen of a laptop, so you might want to check that out.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 05:45:55 PM »

Yep. fl0 built a macbook with a small tablet in the screen.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
e.Bond
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 07:26:04 PM »

Thanks for the input, I saw the macbook video on youtube, but also, I will want it so it is still in tablet form IE-flat, no keyboard/fingerpad, etc. But if I do this, I'm worried about the connections from the screen to the laptop because the screen will have to be rotated/flipped and probably wont be able connect....
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 08:13:06 PM »

Search google for the modbook.
Its exactly what you want (minus the price of course)

Just check it out.

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 09:29:53 PM »

You'd need some sort of keyboard surely? or is there an onscreen thing too do that?

e.Bond
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 04:04:13 AM »

Wow that modbook is now my dream Smiley

Bit too pricey though! Cheesy

But yes, there is an onscreen keyboard built into OS's. And I will mostly just use it for drawing, maybe I'll find a clever way to incorporate a keyboard into it...
AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 02:31:06 PM »

Have you seen those roll-up keyboards? I bet you could tuck one of those in somewhere and unroll it when you needed it.
e.Bond
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 04:34:47 PM »

Ahh yes, I might be able to...like a thin space on the very back of everything...Thanks for the idea
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 09:32:30 PM »

Or a nano size keyboard if you can still find them. I've got one that's about 7" wide.

Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 09:15:51 PM »

Just a note. My laptop build with a compaq presario m2000 and a graphire worked quite well. Fried the tablet in one of my many experimental reconfigs. But that was carelessness on my part. You can solve the keyboard issue for settings, command line, and the like with the on-screen keyboard under accessibility tools in windows accessories. Works very nicely. I don't think the computer proper caused too much interference. But you could probably try shielding with a sheet of lead foil or something.
e.Bond
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 04:23:32 AM »

Well...I had a brilliant idea! Cheesy

Maybe I should just buy a "slate-style" tablet PC and put the wacom sensor inside that...as I'm assuming the tablet pc's sensor would not be as accurate as the wacom.

Thanks mgilbride
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 04:36:59 AM »

Well...I had a brilliant idea! Cheesy

Maybe I should just buy a "slate-style" tablet PC and put the wacom sensor inside that...as I'm assuming the tablet pc's sensor would not be as accurate as the wacom.

Thanks mgilbride

Every if not almost every tablet pc has a wacom inside of it.

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
e.Bond
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 04:40:25 AM »

Really? Is there anyway to actually tell without buying one?
AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 04:54:12 AM »

Yeah, usually you can look for "Penabled" in the tablet's description. I believe that's what Wacom calls their tablet technology. I used to spend a lot of time looking at those, but I forget what the other tells were. Do some Googling, I'm sure you'll find out. A lot of times even the reviews on the particular tablets mention it.

It's not going to be as good as an Intuos sensor, though. I'm pretty sure they're Graphire grade (which has always been good enough for me).
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: