Bongofish
November 13, 2019, 03:50:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Okay Kids the bargain party is over  (Read 11782 times)
Monarch

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2008, 04:11:39 AM »

For all of those of you expecting to tumble onto e-bay and snatch up a 15" flat panel monitor for under $80. Good Luck! I've been plotting the last month of puchases on our favorite bargain shopping outlet and it appears that the going rate for a working monitor no issues with cables is going to run a cool $85-$90. I am not saying that it is impossible to find! I am sayin that the easy route is going to cost you.

I think the news is out about what you can do with a flat panel monotor and a wacom tablet. What do you guys think?

Viva the Revolution!

AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 04:40:12 AM »

I agree. The prices are definitely on the rise. I can't imagine why people want to pay so much for 7 year old monitors. I doubt that we could account for so many though.. those monitors are selling every 15 minutes or so.

But keep looking. I managed to buy three 15" screens for decent prices. If I recall, I bought one for $12.50 that had a busted backlight but worked otherwise, until I took it apart and the inverter blew up on me. I bought another one for $40, and that one was good but had insurmountable FFC issues, and then I bought my Dell 1503 for $75, which ironically was the worst looking display of the three but is currently working in my build.

Ah well. Luck of the draw.
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 06:23:25 AM »

I agree. The prices are definitely on the rise. I can't imagine why people want to pay so much for 7 year old monitors. I doubt that we could account for so many though.. those monitors are selling every 15 minutes or so.

But keep looking. I managed to buy three 15" screens for decent prices. If I recall, I bought one for $12.50 that had a busted backlight but worked otherwise, until I took it apart and the inverter blew up on me. I bought another one for $40, and that one was good but had insurmountable FFC issues, and then I bought my Dell 1503 for $75, which ironically was the worst looking display of the three but is currently working in my build.

Ah well. Luck of the draw.
I just bought a 17" with a busted backlight for 15.50+like 20 shipping (USD).

Just saw it, and knew I will use it at some point.  At that price, you can't go wrong.

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 02:03:46 PM »

Yeah. broken backlight in the way to go.  There,s probably a bunch of people buying screens to build their own DIY Cintiqs. (Hey LURKERS, speak up )   Smiley

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 03:35:04 PM »

Hey LURKERS, speak up   Smiley

Yeah, I second that. I've met a lot of people who have been to this site but who have never posted. I don't even know if they've registered.

But come on! We've got 2,272 members, and only about 12% of them have made ANY posts. Only about 6% of us have made more than one post. Where are the other 82%? By my estimate, we've got about 1,800 members who haven't posted anything. Surely they can't ALL be spam bots?

Come on people, start coming out of the woodwork. Pop up and give us a hello in the "Hello" forum! The more the merrier, mates.  Grin

Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 10:19:35 PM »

Hey LURKERS, speak up   Smiley

Yeah, I second that. I've met a lot of people who have been to this site but who have never posted. I don't even know if they've registered.

But come on! We've got 2,272 members, and only about 12% of them have made ANY posts. Only about 6% of us have made more than one post. Where are the other 82%? By my estimate, we've got about 1,800 members who haven't posted anything. Surely they can't ALL be spam bots?

Come on people, start coming out of the woodwork. Pop up and give us a hello in the "Hello" forum! The more the merrier, mates.  Grin

I agree.
While I do not want to make the site invisible to guests (which Drew probably doesn't want either), I do want people to at least register and maybe make at least one post.  I am going to add a message to the top for guests that we urge you to register and post, but we will still let you browse the site without registering.  I just need the ftp though.
Haggis!!!!!!!!!

Monarch

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 11:48:03 PM »

When is the best time to post a new build thread? I was going to wait until all of the parts were in house before I even thought about starting one.

A quick question. Has anyone had any luck with a internal power supply at all? I mean gotten one to work without the interference proble? If so, I need a heads up who and where.
I have a Dell 1504FP on route. (I saw where Andy had one on e-bay but it fell through at the last moment.) If it's not possible I am going to use it in my office and get 3 feet of real estate space back from my CRT. Cheesy This is not the good feeling I wanted to get started with. Roll Eyes

Viva the Revolution
Monarch 
Monarch

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 12:54:35 AM »

Nevermind... I found something about the interior power on the Dell 1504fp. Once again, I was not looking in the right place.  Cheesy Opps!

To replace that stupid question with a new one....Has anyone seen a teardown for the 1504FP or know a link that will take me to it? Grin

Thanks,

Monarch

Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 03:59:23 AM »

Nevermind... I found something about the interior power on the Dell 1504fp. Once again, I was not looking in the right place.  Cheesy Opps!

To replace that stupid question with a new one....Has anyone seen a teardown for the 1504FP or know a link that will take me to it? Grin

Thanks,

Monarch

http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8419&hl=1504fp
register to see pics.

Says it is very easy.
Just follow the 1503fp strip.
http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=216.0
I had 60 pics there, all with the info.
Let me reup.  I'll upload to the bongo ftp, im sure Drew won't mind.
Tell me if you want me to take it off Drew.

Monarch

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 02:05:28 PM »

Switz you da bomb! Thanks!

Monarch
Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 04:07:10 PM »

Switz you da bomb! Thanks!

Monarch

Thats a given.

Figure that out yourself Sherlock?

Just kidding.

I'll upload in a few hours, Drew, if you'd rather me not, I will just upload somewhere else.

Also,
I have a ton of pics (over 60).  All of them are edited, with text.

If you want the original BIG pictures.  I'll send you those too.

Monarch

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 06:11:44 PM »

Switz:

If those are the same photos that you put on "Megaupload" a while back they are still there. I'll just download those. The link is still on the forum somewhere I believe.

Thanks,
Sherlock
Monarch

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 06:17:59 PM »

Here is that link I was talking about in my last post.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WLN3B8T3

Is that the one you are referring too? It's on your build thread.

Sherlock

Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 06:26:25 PM »

Here is that link I was talking about in my last post.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WLN3B8T3

Is that the one you are referring too? It's on your build thread.

Sherlock

Maybe,
but I uploaded the photos, check the first page of my build log.

Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 12:22:58 AM »

No worries.  I'm sure I'll get nudged if we take too much space. Smiley

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Pages: [1] 2
  Print