Bongofish
December 11, 2018, 12:11:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Success ** Comptiq  (Read 31102 times)
Mgilbride

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2008, 08:32:24 PM »

So, after some tears in the proof of concept phase I am back on my feet and have a uc-logic and a wacom 6x8 tablet on the way. The UC-Logic is for curiosity and testing but expect it has little prayer of working. Just hope the wacom is as nice and unused as was stated on eBay.

BTW there are several old serial models up for grabs on eBay at the moment. 25$ buy it now prices but without pens and thus minimal if any testing.

So this starts my official build log. The plan is to center mount the 6x8 sensor in the middle of the LCD to avoid the edges,inverter, and driver board. Maybe some tweaking of position to optimize avoidance of interference. Hopefully this will minimize jitter. But luckily the jitter was pretty low to begin with. Pretty happy with the size as I am drooling over a 12WX. Not that much less space especially if you are cramming your tool bars on the same little screen. Below you can find some pics of my current victim, a compaq presario m2000. Hope to have something functional to show within a couple of weeks.  Grin

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 09:19:32 PM by Drewid » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 11:31:50 PM »

Hooray!  This is going to be an interesting one.

I'm getting a broken link though. Sad

You can post pics here under the "additional options" thingy.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 03:25:51 AM »

Ok, let me give that another try. I botched that up the first time.
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 03:35:04 AM »

Is this foil tape a ground? I'm not sure about snipping it though I need to. Labels so you can scope the hardware. Think that warranty is still any good??  Wink
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 04:38:45 AM by Mgilbride » Logged
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 03:37:49 AM »

I really need to extend the pink and black wires which connect between the inverter and LCD. However, little nervous after another build blew the LCD or Inverter after the wires were extended. Gotta track that ref down again. Any clues as to why that happened??

LCD housing pictured separately has enough room for the sensor and panel and I can overlay the screen protector as well. I'm stripping the foil and foam and will reuse the foam as needed to gently brace the screen if needed. I'm trying to have a slight gap between the sensor and LCD as well as a slight gap between the LCD and protector. Tight but should be sweet.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 04:43:15 AM by Mgilbride » Logged
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 03:39:12 AM »

Could use an ID on this connector. Am interested in an LVDS for when computer dies.

The plan is to reattach the lid/LCD hinges and arms. The black plastic, rear plate of the LCD case happens to flip around to the other side of the arms beautifully. So I hope to basically just flip the whole screen around. There is room within the LCD casing to mount the WACOM. At least the 4x5. I still haven't seen the 6x8. I am not sure how to deal with the the row/ column driver board. I need to flip it  out to get it away from the back of the screen. But that conflicts with the overall plan. So, still have to figure that out.

If I could diagnose and fix the intermittent failure on the laptop I would be quite happy. Then maybe worth investing in a battery. and make this baby a fairly portable sketchbook.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 04:48:33 AM by Mgilbride » Logged
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 06:09:46 PM »

Just got my Graphire 3 6x8 from ebay. Works great. Not bad for 53$ and free shipping. I have to say i really enjoy working on this much more than a 4x5 (Can you tell I'm a poor bastard who can't afford the good stuff yet?). When I first ventured into the tablet scene folks commented that big was not really better. I'm finding the bigger size so much smoother and more intuitive to use rather than having to compensate for the resolution difference. Also happy to see that my pen from my old tablet works with this one too.

Busted it open and there's a bit of a hitch in how the usb cable is attached to the sensor. Looks like they threaded it through a hole in the case and then soldered it. Anyway, did the screen over test and do have jitter. A few crude shielding tests helped.

I've already abandoned the laptop only build as there just isn't space to safely do it. I would probably break off the r/c driver board trying to fold it under something.

Also not sure what to do with the inverter. The damned wires are just too short.  Undecided

Should get the uc-logic tablet today and be able to test that. Can't wait. More pics and build news soon.
Rayall

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 10:23:43 PM »

Yeah, they didn't do a very good job with the wires of the USB on the Graphire model. The new Bamboo is very well made, but it has those stupid lights. Roll Eyes My old Graphire stopped working, then I opened the case and realized the wires were torn and disconnected (I bought it new years ago).
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 08:27:34 AM »

Yeah, this one solves that problem I guess. It's a good thing really because now I have to leave the sensor in the bottom half of the case and this helps me avoid breaking the usb connections again.
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 08:35:19 AM »

Made a shield jacket for the row column drivers. Now have those flipped away from the back of the LCD.

Extended the inverter to back-light wires without issue. Inverter is now moved far away from the screen.

Lots of shielding tests with no positive effect. Kinda bummed about that. Back to thinking. More testing, more testing, needs more testing.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 12:07:07 PM »

Ambidextrose is the chap for identifying connectors. As for extending the pink and black wires, are those powering the backlight?

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 09:49:01 PM »

Yes, they're powering the back-light. They go from the invertor to the LCD slab so not sure what else they could be doing but I don't want to yank the slab apart. And I already extended them and it all seems to be working very well. After multiple power-ups and use periods.
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 10:03:36 PM »

So I got the UC-Logic 6x8 tablet today. It's got some major plusses and some minuses.

Market brand is LaPazz. I'll post a bunch of pictures soon so all curious can see it without buying it.

Case construction is decent. Does feel a less substantial than a wacom but I would say they did a good job using the materials economically to produce a sturdy tablet. Metal backed held in with several screws.

The pen does not feel as cheap as other folks have stated it seemed. However there is a healthy mixture of good and bad. I don;t mind the battery at all. The weight feels good and it does not feel any more substantial than a Prismacolor marker. The ergonomics are acceptable and I can control the pen nicely. The maddening part is how they do the battery enclosure. Truly retarded and is probably what leads people to breaking the pen. Pressure sensitivity is great and is a step above what the Wacom Graphire line can do.

Driver instalation requires a little more restarting and fidgeting than usual with wacoms I have experienced and this thing does not like my unpowered USB hub.

The hot buttons on the tablet area work. Not sure I would use them but they work. I haven't tried programing them yet but I don't think they can be programmed to keyboard shortcuts which will suck if you can't.

The instructions suck. They are a little helpful but they are not as clear or complete as they could be. (I'm referring to the paper quick start instructions here. Haven't read the driver instructions file yet but not hopeful.)

The driver interface seems as good as the driver for the Graphire line. I guess the drivers get better going up the Wacom line because I don't see anything any more or less chintzy about this driver interface.

My only major complaint is that the damned thing can't really draw a straight line. I think it's a resolution thing. It's close but wobbly enough to notice. I can quick sketch with it and paint and model with it. But I don't like the wobbles dude. Wonder if there is some sort of anti-jitter thing at work in the driver here.

And holy shite it doesn't even blink or complain during the tablet over test with my LCD. No random clicks, jitters, or anything. It easily outperforms the Wacom in this respect.

The read height is so high that I have not stripped the tablet out of the case, have stacked a sheet of plexy over my LCD and tablet, and can still hover over a centimeter off the surface and move the cursor.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 10:12:02 PM by Mgilbride » Logged
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 10:04:32 PM »

Tracked down some mouse steadying software I want to try with the Wacom. Has anyone actually tried this??
AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 10:39:52 PM »

Tracked down some mouse steadying software I want to try with the Wacom. Has anyone actually tried this??

It's been talked about. Don't know that it's ever been tried.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: