Bongofish
November 13, 2019, 03:32:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Success ** Comptiq  (Read 32191 times)
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 01:01:59 AM »

K, I'll try it then.
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 08:23:37 AM »

Tested Mouse Smoother and Steady Mouse software with no good result. One seems to do nothing and the other freaks out the Wacom. Very interesting because whatever the smoothing algorithm is it has a very jerky all over the place pattern. Must not like piggybacking on the tablet driver.

Another disappointment to figure out that the damn UC-Logic driver does not have a map to screen function. It just let's you use a smaller section of your tablet. Come on guys! That's only half the math no matter what we're doing with your tablets!! It does, however, let you map the hot zones on the edge of the tablet to key combos. That's nice. So one thumbs down on missing functionality in the driver and one for the inability to draw rock solid straight lines with a straight edge. Oh yeah, and the pen design leaves a bit to be desired as well.

Anyway, it's rock steady and workable so I cranked my screen resolution way down so the active screen area is now smaller than the UC-Logics tablet area. Now it's mapable though also a pain to do.

Pictures coming. I promise.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 10:49:11 AM »

What we need is a coder to custom write our drivers.   Grin
The only coders I know tend to be very very busy though.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 08:06:09 PM »

Well, I'm sure unemployment is about to kick up a notch here in the States. That should free up someone.  Wink
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008, 08:12:11 PM »

More Pics. Comments soon.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 08:18:03 PM by Mgilbride » Logged
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2008, 08:19:22 PM »

Some details. The hot cells work fine on an XP machine. Launches things correctly and are fully programmable. A lot of potential for streamlining workflow even with this inexpensive piece of equipment. I could even set them up and use them through the LCD.

The pen feels good and I like the tip feel. But the construction/ battery case are maddening. Not sure why on earth they did this. Maybe a cousin in the family manufactures those little battery clip thingeys? No design here.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 08:45:16 PM by Mgilbride » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 08:20:36 PM »

Hmm.     LaPazz - that's a new one on me

Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2008, 08:24:32 PM »

Just a UC-Logics rebrand. There are a number of brands that are actually UC-Logics
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2008, 08:26:16 PM »

This is why you can break the pen easily. The battery contact is slotted into the pen's upper so if you twist you will likely break the pen. The instructions don't even mention this. The tip is nicely responsive and I like the pressure sensitivity feedback in the driver interface. But I'm guessing the tip is spring loaded where as the Wacom pen uses a pressure sensitive element with no moving parts. The pen needs work.

Below you can see the LCD to Inverter extension. Works great after 20-30 power-ups and tests.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 08:42:25 PM by Mgilbride » Logged
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2008, 08:28:57 PM »

This is the stack and how I would like to build it. Still not sure how I'm going to enclose it now that I can't cram it all in the original case. Amazing that being sandwiched between all of those electronics does not phase the tablet. Although the tablet can't draw a nice straight line, it does perform consistently no matter where it is situated.

So below you can begin to see my plan. My setup is going to use a reduced screen area. I want to emphasize control over drawing realestate. Pictured here is 800x600 res. I have now cranked it down to 640 x 480 res which is just smaller than a 8x6 area. While this is actually pretty cool I would like to find a utility that allows me to just resize the desktop to whatever I want. In other words window the desktop so I can scale the active area as I wish. While this should be possible the closest utility I can find is a window resizer. But I want all of the desktop functionality resized so I can hit 8x6 on the nose. So the idea is that I can avoid using a mouse and just use the pen and maybe the hot cells.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 08:56:50 PM by Mgilbride » Logged
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2008, 08:31:02 PM »

So there's no jitter but the pen can't draw a straight line. Fast gestural strokes eliminate some of this problem. But slow precise lines are not really possible. Switching to an airbrushed, softer line helps quite a bit. But not what we would like to see.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 08:38:33 PM by Mgilbride » Logged
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2008, 11:01:28 PM »

Awesome!!!

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2008, 11:40:44 PM »

Hey that's pretty damn cool.  I just use the shift key in photoshop for straight lines  Roll Eyes , or the line tool.   

Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2008, 11:52:55 PM »

Hey that's pretty damn cool.  I just use the shift key in photoshop for straight lines  Roll Eyes , or the line tool.   
Yeah, me too.

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2008, 12:04:15 AM »

Yeah it's true. And You can just rework your lines with paths for final art but the wiggle actually effects all lines. Curved and all. So if you want to wok small, slow, detailed, etc. you are going to have to really think about it to make it work. Set up a resolution where once you zoom out you won't see any wobbliness you don't want there. So workable but lacks that sense of woo hoo! freedom of just splattering it on the page without thought. That's what I may one day pay a 1000$ smakers for. And it better deliver.  Undecided
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: