Bongofish
November 18, 2019, 03:11:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Success ** Comptiq  (Read 32225 times)
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2008, 03:20:27 AM »

It's Cheap and it's down and dirty. And it works pretty damned well. Hope you like it and have a good laugh. Thanks for all the input and great resources here. Awesome.
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2008, 04:16:19 AM »

Whoops! Chipped the plexy drilling holes. Ahh well.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 04:19:07 AM by Mgilbride » Logged
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2008, 04:29:56 AM »

LaPazz driver interface. Two major complaints to date. Can't map to a portion of the screen. And I discoverd that that the programmable hot cells don't let you use "+" or "-" in your key combos. Anyway this is my current build set for "extended" use and testing.

I managed to keep 2 out of 4 rows of hot cells. Thats 21 hot cells. I have not put them to use yet but have the functionality there should I want to. They work great right through the LCD. They border the top and right side of my active screen area. I can print out a guide and just drop into place over the sceen when and if I decide to use them.

This is the first time I have ever been able to experience what having a Cintiq would actually be like. Way cool.

The computer was free. Headed for the trash. I asked for it and managed to get it quite functional again. The tablet used in the build was 34$. 43$ with shipping. Used cardboard scraps for the "Oh My God It's Way Too Freakin Thick" slab. Bought a new sheet of plexy for 11$. An I killed a Wacom 4x5 which I think runs around 60$. I won't count the 6x8 Graphire I tried to use in the build. It's happily taking place of it's baby bro on my main machine. Now I will patiently eye the scrap heaps for the next build. A salute to the guy who started it all. Cheers.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 04:55:41 PM by Mgilbride » Logged
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2008, 05:38:38 AM »

This is an awesome build!

Congrats!

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
toand
New Poster

DIY FTW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2008, 11:36:54 AM »

Looks great, makes me wanna build on right NOW! =)

/Tommy
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2008, 04:56:16 PM »

Thanks!  Grin (Blushes)
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2008, 09:18:29 PM »

Cardboard, that's fantastic !    Grin

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Rayall

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2008, 03:09:45 PM »

It looks great, but wouldn't the wood make it hotter? Isn't that why they often use aluminum now for hard drive enclosures?  Huh
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2008, 09:34:04 PM »

Yeah, wood is an insulator, but with a decent airflow it souldn't be a problem.

Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2008, 11:39:23 PM »

Yeah, cardboard or wood are not my first choices but this is a junk machine in every sense of the word. So I'm not recommending these materials as 1st choice build materials. Enclosing the laptop was the only way I could practically make it work and leave all of the internal framework and inherent shielding of components in place. One could technically remove the dvd player and perhaps any other plug in boards that are not needed which would reduce heat and perhaps provide more airflow. I did carefully cut channels for air air intake and outflow into the three ply cardboard sheets and much of the original laptop airflow design is left intact. Also the cardboard is corrugated and thus mostly volume. So some airflow may happen through those voids as well. As pointed out before, this laptop has alread clearly stated it's intentions to die so it's very much a question of when not if.
Mgilbride

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »

Youtubed the result for those interested. Maybe a little long and boring and no good drawing demo yet. Keep trying to post Bongofish particulars but I'm having a pain in the but time posting comments. I'm a bit of a NewTuber.

Have been testing software like crazy to see what works best with this type of tablet. Love the GIMP and ArtRage. But it is still so hard to beat Photoshop. Even though I'm stuck in the stone age with versions 5 and 6 of Photoshop!! Just miss the tighter control over brushes, selections, etc. that are in the later versions. GIMP succeeds quite nicely there but seems to have some hiccups in the airbrush that drive me nuts. But I'm a real picky advocate of the canvas rotate feature. Both GIMP and Photoshop fall short in this department. You can rotate in Gimp but it's to slow and clunky in comparison to Corel Painter, ArtRage, and the like. Deep Paint, though hard to find and no longer in development has some very impressive natural media. TwistedBrush has an amazing brush engine but is lacking in the user interface department. Paint.Net lacks the feature set I'm looking for. OpenCanvas has a nice handle on things.

I have had to place a little bit of shimming under the plexy on my build. Pressure on the screen caused a vertical line to appear on my screen. I think pressure was being placed on the fine flexible connections to the LCD slab and was starting to detach a couple of the column connections. Shimming actually corrected the problem and the line went away. Hooray!! Will post some pics soon.
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2008, 10:47:49 AM »

Paint.net gets a good review from some people in the office, and Gimpshop, a version of the gimp but with a photoshop interface, also sounds interesting.  Both free too.

Rayall

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2008, 06:19:31 PM »

Photoshop Elements is cheaper then Photoshop, last time I checked it doesn't support CMYK though.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Photoshop+Elements&category0=

They do have trials of Photoshop on Adobe's site (you have to register though):

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/?ogn=EN_US-gntray_dl_trialdownloads

Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2008, 07:34:05 PM »

With new wacoms Elements comes free. I have used 2 dif. ver. of elements.  After using PS for so long, IT SUCKS

really.
I find it slower for some reason and many more reasons.

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
unit613
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2008, 06:02:07 PM »

Wow, this build is awesome! It took me a while to notice the cardboard, but still awesome non-the less.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: