test1
March 25, 2017, 08:50:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital Photo Frame with HDD USB Input Possible Wireless Upload 15" + Build Log!  (Read 40883 times)
Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« on: February 12, 2008, 03:05:25 AM »

Well youve provided the information I need to get me started so here it goes.

The Objective:

To create a 15"+ Digital Photo Frame with Hard Drive included that can be updated with USB or read flash or sony stick type memory cards. All to be encased in a super slim single wire only wooden enclosure for either wall mounting or use on a stand.

Secondary Objectives
To be able to update the hard drive wireless using WUSB or Bluetooth or even possibly Wireless LAN.

Ive got so far:

2.5inch 20Gb Hard Drive - This cost me £12 I think when I bought it.

Ive also got this for 9.99 off ebay:

Just hope its as good as billed, it plays back video and pictures so it should just do the job just fine!

And the main bit I havent yet got is the screen, Ive got a lead on a Phillips 18.1 TFT but at the moment I cant find out the specs of it.

Original Post:

Im intrested in making a LCD photo frame, Very easy once youve done a DIY cintiq, but I want mine to be able to have pictures loaded onto it an then left to change on its own. Anyone know of any type of technology I can use to read a USB pen drive and display it with out the need for a processor etc?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 09:27:33 PM by Chems » Logged

Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 03:40:15 AM »

Im intrested in making a LCD photo frame, Very easy once youve done a DIY cintiq, but I want mine to be able to have pictures loaded onto it an then left to change on its own. Anyone know of any type of technology I can use to read a USB pen drive and display it with out the need for a processor etc?
If you have an old laptop just use that and frame it, but remember

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND xD

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
robcat2075

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 08:39:29 AM »

It's hard to imagine how you'd make sense of the data on the USB and drive a display card for the LCD without a processor.

Your easiest route might be to get an cheap micro-ATX motherboard that had built-in graphics.  But you'd still need to power it somehow...

Robert Holmén
------
The Robcat View
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 10:26:48 AM »

There used to be a stand alone thing that would read a card and display it on a TV or monitor.

<Google>
SanDisk Digital Photo Viewer
http://www.instructables.com/id/EV3JKA71QJEP287IKA/

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 09:05:27 PM »

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND xD

That is a useless suggestion, the thing would be huge. Thanks.

Drew thats exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, Ive seen really slim ones in the shops for about £85-100 that just take a USB pen or similar. Thanks!

Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 09:27:19 PM »

I found the perfect Item,

http://asico.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008824829207/pdtl/HDD-portable/1001839476/2.5-inch-HDD-Multimedia-Player.htm0

Its on ebay for £23 and it has direct VGA output. That and a 17inch monitor all enclosed nicely and the BANG the grim is gone, I mean BANG and the job is done.

Prepare yourselves!

Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 11:32:45 PM »

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND xD

That is a useless suggestion, the thing would be huge. Thanks.

Drew thats exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, Ive seen really slim ones in the shops for about £85-100 that just take a USB pen or similar. Thanks!

What are you talking about.
It would not be huge at all.
Smaller then a 17" monitor atleast.
Search Google.

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 11:43:53 PM »

I was thinking it would be really cool to make a large hi-def digital photo frame.  I have stuff I'd like to do with it.

Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 11:49:08 PM »

I was thinking it would be really cool to make a large hi-def digital photo frame.  I have stuff I'd like to do with it.

ANIMATED STAINED GLASS WINDOW!!!!!!!!!!

Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 01:11:35 AM »

Well this thing is tiny, 2cm depth. Im going to scout around for a 17inch or so sized screen and then make a wooden frame for it. Vanilla an the job is done! With a Wireless USB dongle it could also be wireless!

Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 01:16:24 AM »

Well this thing is tiny, 2cm depth. Im going to scout around for a 17inch or so sized screen and then make a wooden frame for it. Vanilla an the job is done! With a Wireless USB dongle it could also be wireless!

Wow.
Chems' stupid comment of the day.

"With a Wireless USB dongle it could be wireless"

duhhhh

lol, Chems is makin me mad at him, don't blame me for fighting Tongue

It is like saying.
With a pen, I can write!!! lol

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 10:45:02 AM »

ANIMATED STAINED GLASS WINDOW!!!!!!!!!!

That too.

Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 12:30:30 PM »

Wow.
Chems' stupid comment of the day.

"With a Wireless USB dongle it could be wireless"

duhhhh

lol, Chems is makin me mad at him, don't blame me for fighting Tongue

It is like saying.
With a pen, I can write!!! lol

No Im pretty sure it could then be wireless, its similar to a external HD right? So If I put a Wireless USB dongle in the back of my HD rather than the wire, and my computer had the hub, Id be able to add files to the HD wirelessly? The only thing is the whole wireless USB technology is still a bit expensive at the moment. It has input for USB on that item. It would be something Id like to try. I wonder if it would be able to process higher res images.

Ive got a bid on ebay 9.99 ends in 3 hours so hopefully I will have one to test with soon then Im going to see if I can get a free monitor off some contacts.

Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 06:36:17 PM »

I got the HD for 9.99, bargin!

I may be able to get this screen cheap: 18.1 inch phillips model no. 18L8025Q but I cant find any specs about it on the net, which doesnt bode well. Its obviously a little old.

AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 06:58:03 PM »

I got the HD for 9.99, bargin!

I may be able to get this screen cheap: 18.1 inch phillips model no. 18L8025Q but I cant find any specs about it on the net, which doesnt bode well. Its obviously a little old.

Wow, 18" screens are pretty rare. That'd make a nice big frame though.

And 9.99? That's amazing. Was that an ebay deal?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: