test1
March 28, 2017, 09:12:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital Photo Frame with HDD USB Input Possible Wireless Upload 15" + Build Log!  (Read 40899 times)
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 07:24:30 PM »

I got the HD for 9.99, bargin!

I may be able to get this screen cheap: 18.1 inch phillips model no. 18L8025Q but I cant find any specs about it on the net, which doesnt bode well. Its obviously a little old.

Oooo... mustn't start another project till I've finished some off...

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 08:36:49 PM »

Yeah I posted the link further up, its just the interface thing, you need to provide your own 2.5 HDD an I happen to have a brand new spare one so its all good except I cant find it.

Think I should get the 18.1 screen then I just wanna find out some info about it first.

Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 08:40:56 PM »

I got the HD for 9.99, bargin!

I may be able to get this screen cheap: 18.1 inch phillips model no. 18L8025Q but I cant find any specs about it on the net, which doesnt bode well. Its obviously a little old.

Oooo... mustn't start another project till I've finished some off...

Didnt see your reply there, I'll lead the charge on this one Drew, someone already paved the way a little bit but I will keep a log an you can follow it. By my calculation it should work out like this:

HDD Enclosure and Interface Device - ebay 9.99 (£12 P+P)
2.5 HDD - £12 (Got mine of ebay a while ago 40gb I thinks)
18" LCD Screen - £20 (£10 p+p)
Wood to create frame and house - Call it a £10

Whole deal approx £80 with Postage and Packaging. Cost of 17" Retail Frame - £440 Saving of £360.

Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 10:28:37 PM »

Ive got a few more questions,

Firstly, who was it who made the VGA connection by hand so it was really slim? They soldered the pins to the wires. It was awesome bongoing.

Secondly, does anyone know if its possible to bend IR light using Optics to an IR Receiver?

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 10:31:35 PM »

1 Can't remember and
2 yes, light is light. Mirrors or optical fibre ought to work.

Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 12:01:18 AM »

I actually had a little trial, I have this Technic model:

http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/8480-1.jpg

And it has fibre optics in it, I used it for a little test and it seemed to work ok. Because the HD is going to be mounted on the back the remote may not work very well from front on, so I was thinking of using a bit of fiber optic wire to bend the light around.

Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2008, 01:10:37 AM »

I got a NEC 17 inch screen today. I actually need an LCD, so not sure if this is going to be used for the build or not. It needs to be taken apart to be cleaned anyway. I got it for a bargin from ebay. Good res on it for the price, Slim Line design. Ive got leads on another couple of screens, Im thinking 17inch might be too big.

Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2008, 04:10:13 PM »

The Hard Drive thingy arrived today, Im mighty impressed with it. On VGA mode you get a good crisp clear picture its damn good. Hopefully good enough Its sort of hard to tell, Ive not got the greatest photos to test with and when I put it onto my 32 inch bravia it doesnt look so great, but on my 19" screen it looks fine.

Just awaiting a screen of suitable gentry to be stripped down, then into the woodworking shop for a frame and housing and its all done.

Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 03:45:02 PM »

I got my screen today, its really nice, I was going to use it for my desktop screen but its a funny sort of format, its like LongScreen or something. Its going out to get taken apart very soon.

Does a good res and runs well with the HD. Check my first post now for updated pictures.

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 08:41:19 PM »

So what make and model is the HD thingy?

AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2008, 09:17:03 PM »

So what make and model is the HD thingy?

I'd like to know this as well. I have a professor who would be most interested in this, and I wouldn't mind picking one up myself.
Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2008, 10:37:58 PM »

I found the perfect Item,

http://asico.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008824829207/pdtl/HDD-portable/1001839476/2.5-inch-HDD-Multimedia-Player.htm0

Its on ebay for £23 and it has direct VGA output. That and a 17inch monitor all enclosed nicely and the BANG the grim is gone, I mean BANG and the job is done.

Prepare yourselves!

Dont you read my posts. Sad very sad.

Search on ebay for Hard Disk Drive Media Player and you should find it. Cant recommend it enough for the price!

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2008, 10:54:34 PM »

Can it do crossfades between pictures? or play an animation very slowly?

Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 11:09:32 PM »

Can it do crossfades between pictures? or play an animation very slowly?

LOL

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008, 12:53:27 AM »

Yeah it can. It does those sort of slide changes like Powerpoint, horizontal bars and stuff. It doesnt seem to have a really slow function but changes perhaps every 5 seconds or so.

The only problem Ive got is the digital photos I have from my camera are awful. If any of you have a good few really high res pictures you want less than 6mega pixel put them here and I can try it with some HD stuff.

For what it is, its excellent, just provide a 2.5 inch hard drive and your away. This screen even has down facing VGA and Power Input and onboard brick. Im hoping I can slim the entire thing to about 3cm including the hard disk and everything. Im going to bind the 2 power cords out to one wire with 2 plugs on the end for pure simplicity, I suppose I could chop something up but it wouldnt work so well as they both have diffrent power, one has a transformer plug and the other is a kettle plug.

Watch this space!

But Ive got to finish my new desk yet. Ive made the surface and the bookcase for it, but I need the right colour stain to get the same pine effect as all my other furniture. Ive got a Mount on the way for my Bravia so thats going on the wall. Im currently sitting in a L shape surrounded by 3 screens, 2 Computers, an xbox and 7.1 surround sound! its like heaven!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: