Bongofish
November 22, 2019, 08:02:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital Photo Frame with HDD USB Input Possible Wireless Upload 15" + Build Log!  (Read 59241 times)
AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 01:14:20 AM »

Oh, so it doesn't come with the drive... I was wondering how it could be so cheap.

Nice.
Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2008, 01:19:06 AM »

Im offended you haven't read my posts!

I got mine for £12 off ebay. You could probably get one for nothing out of an old laptop.

I saw on ebay the same item but in a different design with a 120gb hard disk for £46 which isnt bad value really.

AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2008, 01:58:23 AM »

Actually, I've been following the thread with what I thought was great interest.  Grin

I saw the links you posted before, but I wasn't sure if that was the one you ended up buying.

And I must've totally missed mention about the fact that it was just an enclosure.

Sorry!  Wink
Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2008, 02:25:30 AM »

Heheh Im only joking. Now Ive got all the parts Im ready to go, but I really need to finish my desk. I will keep a extensive build log here as its basically an LCD Strip and a bit of woodwork. Ive seen a few on the net and they are shite tbh, really large. Id love for mine to be able to be mounted like a picture, that would be cool.

The question I really want answered is if I attached a Wireless USB to this I would be able to upload new pictures wirelessly right? Let me just spill a bit of my brain.

The Drive is automatically recognized by any PC when you connect via USB, WUSB is just an extender for the cables. If I was to plug a WUSB adapter into this thing my computer should recognize the hard drive on the network and that would be it sorted? They are meant to work over the existing 802.11g network. Im not sure, I think just taking the frame to the computer once every now and then is ok really!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 02:35:39 AM by Chems » Logged

Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2008, 03:46:25 AM »

Heheh Im only joking. Now Ive got all the parts Im ready to go, but I really need to finish my desk. I will keep a extensive build log here as its basically an LCD Strip and a bit of woodwork. Ive seen a few on the net and they are shite tbh, really large. Id love for mine to be able to be mounted like a picture, that would be cool.

The question I really want answered is if I attached a Wireless USB to this I would be able to upload new pictures wirelessly right? Let me just spill a bit of my brain.

The Drive is automatically recognized by any PC when you connect via USB, WUSB is just an extender for the cables. If I was to plug a WUSB adapter into this thing my computer should recognize the hard drive on the network and that would be it sorted? They are meant to work over the existing 802.11g network. Im not sure, I think just taking the frame to the computer once every now and then is ok really!
I am not sure, but I don't see a reason why not.  Maybe a drivers issue.  I do not know.

I would try making a steampunk frame.

That would be awesome!
Or an animated stained glass window.

Drew!

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2008, 04:49:35 AM »

I really need someone with some wireless kit to test it out with, I dont want to buy it and then it doesnt work. If it was bluetooth sort of stuff it would only have a 5meter range or so. Its probably not worth it really. I think in theory it would work but but but

Im going for a traditional wooden frame. Im hoping it will be used in my house properly so steampunk wont really go with the theme. As much as I love the whole BioShock art theme I dont think Id actually like anything steampunk in my house really.

If anyone has a Wireless dongle and the such and a USB hard drive can they test this for me please!

Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2008, 04:59:11 AM »

I really need someone with some wireless kit to test it out with, I dont want to buy it and then it doesnt work. If it was bluetooth sort of stuff it would only have a 5meter range or so.
LIES!!!

There are 3 types of bluetooth.

One that is like 10 meters (No one uses this basically)
One that is 100 meters (everyone uses this)
And one that is like 1000 meters or something, ridiculous...

You can get a cheap 100 meter one for... well.. cheap Smiley

AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2008, 06:34:00 AM »

I really need someone with some wireless kit to test it out with, I dont want to buy it and then it doesnt work. If it was bluetooth sort of stuff it would only have a 5meter range or so. Its probably not worth it really. I think in theory it would work but but but

Im going for a traditional wooden frame. Im hoping it will be used in my house properly so steampunk wont really go with the theme. As much as I love the whole BioShock art theme I dont think Id actually like anything steampunk in my house really.

If anyone has a Wireless dongle and the such and a USB hard drive can they test this for me please!

You should be able to return it if it doesn't work, right?
Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2008, 09:36:23 PM »

I really want this to be pure on the cheap build, Its something that could defiantly be added at a later date.

Would it be as simple as a Bluetooth dongle for my PC, and a Bluetooth dongle in the Hard Disk. Could that possibly work?

Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2008, 09:48:51 PM »

Sounds feasable.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2008, 09:49:55 PM »

Really?

Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2008, 09:53:14 PM »

Well possibly.   I'm scanning through the drive specs trying to see what gives there.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2008, 10:02:20 PM »

If anyone has a USB hard drive and 2 dongles, help a brother out!

The main problem I foresee is that the Hard drive USB requires 2 USB sockets, one for data and another for power. With a usb hub I can quite easily solve that thou but it means another plug required!

AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2008, 10:28:39 PM »

Switz is going to have a field day with the innuendo there.
Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2008, 10:31:03 PM »

Switz is going to have a field day with the innuendo there.
lol.
I will pass.... For Now Smiley

I would get one of those ipod chargers with usb and just cut the cable.

Or, try to get it right from the monitor.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: