Bongofish
December 14, 2019, 06:17:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Extending the display cables  (Read 8865 times)
colinus

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2008, 06:09:50 PM »

Hi all, and thnks all for this great forum!
I'm totally new here, and I plan to build a screen tablet from a 15" acer display, and a wacom intuos A4. I already have the components.

For my first question here, I've got a problem.
I have totally dissasembled my LCD panel, and I have made an extension of the display cable (the cable between the display controller unit and the lcd connector).
The original one was approx 15 cm (6") and i have oversized it to 65 cm (25"). I've used the same type of wire (copper, non solid, 0.45 mm2).

The problem is that now I have a lot of interferences in my display, especially if the cable is moving. If I take the cables in one hand, the jitters gently diseapears, but not totally. I've tried to set the refresh rate, the resolution, turned the backlight off, putted an interference filter (ferrite) on my cable, but it's always the same problem.
I've also double-checked my weldings, but it's ok.

Is my cable too long?  Huh

If you have any suggestions, please feel free to reply!
Thanks a lot.

Sorry for my terrible english, it's not my mothertongue...  Undecided

AdrianEvans

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 06:16:59 PM »

sounds like a loose connection??? did you keep the wound magnet in the long version. I just extended mine and it works just fine...
AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 06:19:14 PM »

Try shielding the cable. It seems like the extra length means extra interference and is probably shieldable.

Try the aluminum foil and wax paper/plastic wrap method that most of us have resorted to. It might work better than the ferrite filter you tried. Then again, it might not!  Grin

Worth a shot though.

~Andy
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 06:19:56 PM »

What he said.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
colinus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 06:45:57 PM »

Ok folks, I'll made some tests with aluminium foil and wax paper. I post here as soon as I have results.

Thanks a lot!  Grin

colinus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 04:36:14 PM »

Wow!
I've wrapped my cable with:
- two layers of wax paper
- one layers of aluminium foil (the hard one)
- one layer of electrical fabric tape

To this cable I need to add:
- backlight cables (not extended for now)
- usb cable for the wacom

It works perfectly! No more jitters.

Thanks all for your suggestions. Thanks AndreZX for your technique.

Happy happy happy!

I must start a build log  with pics as soon as possible.

colinus

Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 06:09:09 PM »

Congrats!
Start a build log asap!

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Monarch

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 07:38:42 PM »

What type of wire (gauge) did you use to extend the wires that go to the backlight to the inverter? I need to do this myself and wanted to make sure that I purchased the right stuff from the local radio shack.  I am ashamed to say I don't have experience in this type of thing. I know it's a trivial question but I really need to know. I am using the Dell 1503FP AO1 model. I need to go about 15". (yea, it's a long distance but in the end it will make for a clean design build)

Monarch
colinus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 09:24:29 PM »

What type of wire (gauge) did you use to extend the wires that go to the backlight to the inverter? I need to do this myself and wanted to make sure that I purchased the right stuff from the local radio shack.  I am ashamed to say I don't have experience in this type of thing. I know it's a trivial question but I really need to know. I am using the Dell 1503FP AO1 model. I need to go about 15". (yea, it's a long distance but in the end it will make for a clean design build)

Monarch

Hi, Ive not already finished the backlight cables extension, I've just made some tests.
I've used copper cables of two different diameters: 0.75 millimeters square for the positive, and 0.45 for the negative. It works nice, but I have some problems with the insulation system: if I use heatshrin tubes, it dosen't work, my backlight is flashing; if I use electrical fabric tape, it works perfectly. I have to solve this.

I thing you have to use wires with the same diameter than the original ones. My inverter push out 220v at 1.2 A, so I have to use sufficient diameter in order to avoid overheating.

Hope it's useful to you!

colinus

colinus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 10:09:26 PM »

Confirmed:
if I isulate the backlight cables extension with heatshrink tube, I have a flashing backlight. Now I have used electrical fabric tape, and its ok...

could someone explain it?

for tomorrow:
- extending the second backlight cable
- mounting everything on a prototype chassis
- testing with my wacom!

yihaaa!

colinus

Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 12:30:35 AM »

Most likely the Heatshrink is blocking the connection somehow.
There isn't really a way to fix it, just try to avoid heatshrink in my opinion.

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
id192
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 05:23:05 AM »

I have had a similar problem with the back light extension as well. I replace it with electrical tape and I have no more flickering problem. An interesting problem indeed

Great tip for any newbie(like myself) having a flashing backlight problem when using the Heatshrink
to insulate the back light cable...  A note of caution when touching those cables as these are  high voltage wire and they are NOT friendly. As I have found out for myself when I was trying to find out the problem of flashing backlight..."YIIKKKEEEs!!!!".."***!!!"... Angry Angry :'( :'( :'( :'(

By the way guys is it necessary to ground the backlight cable when you are shielding it?  
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 05:27:24 AM by id192 » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 09:19:09 AM »

I'm wondering if heatshrink is prone to slight leakage at high voltages.  I've no idea what it's made of.
Shielding the high voltage cables.  It's not strictly necessariy as far as I know, but if you've shielded everything else and it still jitters then it's worth a try.  Grin

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 05:58:00 AM »

Shielding is not effective if the shield is not grounded.

Yes, the higher the voltage the more it will "arc" (spark to a nearby object) and (probably) disturb more its environment. The pale pink/blue and whit-ish cables are special insulation. Sometimes you can see one of the cable is bigger than the other (one side is more prone to arcing I believe). If you are getting electrical shocks (even minor) when touching it (ouch!) then add extra insulation like electrical tape or heat shrinking tube before shielding it with metal -- else it will arc to your shield!!  Note that air is a good insulation -- so anything non-conductive that will keep an adequate space (like ~1 mm) is good.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: