Bongofish
December 13, 2019, 10:13:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 12WX Cintiq - Bargin for Bongofish  (Read 9520 times)
Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« on: February 28, 2008, 11:03:16 PM »

I have a good friend whos offered me a 12WX for £650 ONO, is there anyone here intrested as he has to move it? Full British Version 2 Years Warranty needs a good home Brand NEW in Box.

Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:54:31 AM »

Good deal Cheesy

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 12:55:48 AM »

Sorry mate, I think your only hope is Bongofish's European constituents. 650 quid works out to about 1,292 USD. It's only about 1,000 USD here to buy one brand new.
Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 01:13:31 AM »

He only wanted to sell it to Europe I think.
It comes with a British warranty.  I was saying for Europe that was a good price.
They usually cost more.

Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 02:47:45 AM »

Yeah I know, well even the one I bought from the states and sold on cost a bit more than this with tax and import added!

Retail here these cost between 800-900 I think. so like 1600 US

AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 02:53:24 AM »

I was saying for Europe that was a good price.
They usually cost more.

Yeah, I know that. Why would I suggest the European Bongos would be interested if I didn't know that?  Wink

Tangentially, I wonder why there's such a huge price difference between here and there? Are all things like that? Especially after the heavy VAT you guys have, that's pretty rough.
Chems

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 03:34:29 AM »

WHY!?!?!

Thats not even the start, what do you pay on Petrol per Litre? I pay 109pence (Thats £1.09 if your not failure with the olde pound) which works out as $2.17 thats for 95RON Motion Potion! I expect for that sort of money to get like an added 50bhp and 50mpg more! You can pay nearly £2 for this special fuel at the moment that has a really high octane I cant remember what, its like BP Ultimate ULTIMATE or something only in 5 places in the country. But I digress, the worst part is Im only getting 34.2mpg!

**Looks at immigrating to Canada**

**Looks at Bear Protection Devices**

**Decided against Canada looks to move to Switzerland**

**Instantly rejected from Shaterland**

**Looks at America, they'll take anyone**

Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 04:21:42 AM »

WHY!?!?!

Thats not even the start, what do you pay on Petrol per Litre? I pay 109pence (Thats £1.09 if your not failure with the olde pound) which works out as $2.17 thats for 95RON Motion Potion! I expect for that sort of money to get like an added 50bhp and 50mpg more! You can pay nearly £2 for this special fuel at the moment that has a really high octane I cant remember what, its like BP Ultimate ULTIMATE or something only in 5 places in the country. But I digress, the worst part is Im only getting 34.2mpg!

**Looks at immigrating to Canada**

**Looks at Bear Protection Devices**

**Decided against Canada looks to move to Switzerland**

**Instantly rejected from Shaterland**

**Looks at America, they'll take anyone**
30 meters per gallon  Cheesy

Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 02:37:51 PM »

I know a guy who emigrated to Canada last year. bought a huge house by a lake, with a few acres and a jetty for half what he sold his two bedroom terraced house for here.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 02:46:37 PM »

Gasoline in my area is about $2.85. That works out to about 75 cents per liter, or £0.38. The national average is higher, about $3.16.

And 4 years ago it was about half that. It's actually been extraordinarily high these past few years.

Do you know what the total tax burden is in the UK? In New Jersey, we've got the third highest in the U.S.A. with about 32% of the average income going to taxes (and that average includes all the thousands of low-income urban people who don't pay income tax at all.) It's incredibly high for this country, but I wonder how it compares across the pond?

Might give a lot of us a reason to stop complaining.  Grin

EDIT: New great news for the U.S.A.! More than 1 of every 100 adults in this country is in prison. So that means with over 300 million people in the country, there are well more than 3 million people in prison. There are countries that don't have populations that high!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 03:01:22 PM by AndreZX » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 02:56:39 PM »

Lower rate income tax is 25%, higher rate income tax is 40%.  Sales tax (VAT) is 17.5% blanket on pretty much everything.   Most electronic goods generally cost the same in GBP as they do in US dollars.  Average salary for an equivalent job in the States is 30% higher.

Why am I still here??   Roll Eyes

AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 03:06:53 PM »

Haha! You're always welcome on this side, Drew.
Monarch

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 03:26:08 PM »

Any of you mates that buys that Cintiq I'll kick 'em in the FFC. ARRRRRR! Cheesy

What have we got here? A little revolution going on over here in the dark corners of the forum? You guys actually talking about buying a real live working Cintiq with a warranty? You should all be ashamed of yourselves!   Angry

Now go back to your builds! Grin

Monarch

AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 04:33:51 PM »

Well, you know how it goes. If your build has always been faithful, why the change of heart?

Maybe it started when you were out of town for a weekend and you met a real Cintiq at a trade show. It was only 2 minutes. It didn't mean anything. But if it didn't mean anything, why did it make you feel so guilty? So dangerous? So... naughty?

Then when you get home, you start to notice things about your build that never bothered you before—  the cracked and wrinkled duct tape and sad, sagging wires. You know you shouldn't, but you can help but compare it to the sleek, shiny, new Cintiq that you spent those two stolen minutes with. But no. You can't think like that. Your build has always been there for you. You swear to stop thinking about the Cintiq for good.

But you can't. You dream about it, sometimes waking up in a cold sweat. You stop using your old build as much, but it doesn't understand why.

After a short while, you find yourself sneaking out of the house in the middle of the night to gaze at the Cintiqs in the store window. You feel horrible, but you can't help yourself.

Then, the opportunity presents itself. You see a good deal on a Cintiq, and your mind tears itself apart. One side of your brain is repulsed, you think 'No! I can't! My build has always been good to me," but the other half counters, "Do it, you know you want to. At that price, who could resist? And besides, you don't have to keep it. You can always sell it for a profit." You resolutely decide that it would in fact be irresponsible to not buy it and you bring it home, hiding it inside of another box you had in your car.

You stow it in the basement, and resolve never to use it. You'll put it up on ebay tomorrow. For whatever reason, you don't get to it. Okay, you'll definitely do it tomorrow. Still doesn't happen. You promise the same thing the next day. And the next.

After avoiding it for a week you reach the conclusion, 'I can't sell it in good conscience without testing it. I mean, what happens if it doesn't work?'  It's decided. It must be tested. So you slip downstairs, clutching your laptop and closing the basement door behind you, and you gently slide the Cintiq it out of its box, being careful not to scratch it. Your hands shaking, you plug in all of the cables, and softly hit the power switch. It works!

You try a few quick strokes in Photoshop, and then quickly turn it off. It works. Put it away.

But you can't.

You've got to be sure it really works, because it wouldn't be right to not test it fully. Wouldn't be responsible. You turn it back on, and you begin.

Before you know it, the sun is rising. You curse loudly, turn everything off and shove it back into its box, being as gentle as you can in the rush. You run upstairs, hastily throw on your clothes for work, and run out the door, deliberately avoiding looking at your lonely, neglected build sitting next to your computer.

'Never again,' you swear. Tonight you will sell it on ebay and be done with it.

You're distracted all during work. You can't concentrate. You decide that if you gave your build a face lift, the issue would be gone. All it needs is a little touching up, just to get back its original beauty. Tonight you will go home and fix things.

So you get home, and you pull apart the case of your build, perhaps not as delicately as you might have given the heat of the moment. No! Disaster! When you pull off the protective glass, you accidentally knock a lamp over and crack the LCD panel of your precious sim-tiq.

How could you do this! You clutch your forehead in grief. Desolate, you look again at the damage you've caused. There's a knot in your stomach. You can't believe it— It's really gone.

Stricken, you stumble away. You stagger into the basement and grab the nearest bottle of alcohol you can find. You down the first glass, then the second, then the third. Bleary-eyed, you look over and see the new Wacom box staring back at you from its shelf.

You pull the Cintiq out of its box, plug it into your laptop, and pour yourself another drink...
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 07:31:18 PM by AndreZX » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 06:35:34 PM »

AdreZX wins the internet.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: