Bongofish
February 15, 2019, 08:58:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aldesso's build - the alternate Cintiq or "ALTIQ"  (Read 22851 times)
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 03:37:24 AM »

Maybe I missed something, but why is AmbiDextrose so good with these specifically?

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
AmbiDextrose

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2008, 05:24:09 AM »

There's really no magic:

1. Google is your friend.

2. Spec sheets are your other friend.

3. Use friend #1 to find friend #2 for LCD panels or what have you.

Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 06:27:40 AM »

Oh.

lol

I thought you knew these well for some reason...

AmbiDextrose

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2008, 06:45:11 AM »

/OOT

Well, there is the matter of 5 years of Electronics Engineering + 2 years graduate + 3 years writing device drivers. So I'm sorta in familiar territory.
aldesso
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 01:13:39 PM »

Is there a way for me to find an extension for this puppy or will I have to make a custom one myself? Kinda looked around the web but could not find anything :'(
Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2008, 10:57:21 PM »

That might help Dex Cheesy

AmbiDextrose

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 01:24:49 PM »

Is there a way for me to find an extension for this puppy or will I have to make a custom one myself? Kinda looked around the web but could not find anything :'(

You might not find a readily-available extension FFC for this. Your choices are:

1. Make one yourself by doing something akin to the DIY-Beamer solution or

2. Have someone manufacture it for you. There are several places around the internet that can manufacture custom cables but comes at a price.
Monarch

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2008, 10:14:50 PM »

Ambidextrose is right. I sent feelers out to various places since DIY Beamer never responded to any of my e-mails regarding FFCs. I have a few names of contacts here in the states I would be willing to share but they do not have any interest in making less than 100 of these things. It's just not cost effective for them. Most will charge an arm and a leg to stop the process and make one special for you. Event though they advertise that they do any job large or small. It's really a bummer.

Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2008, 10:29:07 PM »

There is another option, but it it goes wrong then it's a pain to put right.

Figure out the size and pitch of the cable.

Cut it in half, put masking tape over it a few mm from the end, carefully sand off the insulation with very fine paper, working towards the end of the cable. once you have exposed the tracks repeat on the other half.

Get a standard ffc extension kit for that size of cable with two of the boards to clip it all together.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
aldesso
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2008, 11:40:26 PM »

Cut it in half, put masking tape over it a few mm from the end, carefully sand off the insulation with very fine paper, working towards the end of the cable. once you have exposed the tracks repeat on the other half.

Get a standard ffc extension kit for that size of cable with two of the boards to clip it all together.

I do not think that is a possibility. The width of the conductors is not constant throughout ... Not really sure how I can do it ... unless I can find the connectors and create my own extension as was suggested Dex
Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2008, 12:24:07 AM »

I have attempted the sanding method before.

Honestly, don't even think about using a dremel sander or an electric sander it will be almost impossible.  Take it very slow, once you get down to the tracks, you basically have to stop, so it must be as even as possible.  This is very hard and is almost impossible.  Just take it slow.

AmbiDextrose

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2008, 01:25:34 AM »

If you do decide to manufacture your own extension cable, you will have to mount the Hirose connectors on small PCB's (ala DIY-Beamer's extension cables) because these connectors do not come in a 'wire termination' type. This means that you will have to design and etch your own PCB(s) for this purpose. The problem I would have with this (if I were the one manufacturing the cable) is the connector pitch and the fact that the connectors are surface-mount only. 

Code:
[size=10pt]
 Hirose                                                                         Hirose
 DF9B-41S-1V                                                                    DF9B-41P-1V
     +-------------------+                                       +-------------------+
     |                   |  ===================================  |                   |
     +--+             +--+                                       +--+             +--+
     |  |             |  |     (generic 41-conductor cable)      |  |             |  |
     |  |             |  |       . . . . .                       |  |             |  |
     |  |  connector  |  |       . . . .                         |  |  connector  |  |
     |  |     PCB     |  |       . . .                           |  |     PCB     |  |
     |  |             |  |       . .                             |  |             |  |
     |  |             |  |       .                               |  |             |  |
     +--+             +--+                                       +--+             +--+
     |                   |  ===================================  |                   |
     +-------------------+                                       +-------------------+
 To LCD panel                                                               To original FFC cable

To original FFC cable
                                                                                    |
                                                                                    V
                       +--+ ------->  to extension FFC <------  +--+              +--+
                       |  /                                     \  |              |  |
     ===================== PCB                               PCB =====================
     |  |
     +--+
       ^
       |
 To LCD panel
[/size]

You could either solder the extension FFC cable directly onto the connector PCB or you can make it more modular by utilizing in intermediate 41-pin header and socket (e.g. Harwin M80-5104222 <-> M80-4614201).
Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2008, 01:26:31 AM »

I do not think that is a possibility. The width of the conductors is not constant throughout ... Not really sure how I can do it ... unless I can find the connectors and create my own extension as was suggested Dex

Dont worry about the width, its just the width at the end you want to worry about.

aldesso
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2008, 05:19:12 PM »

Dont worry about the width, its just the width at the end you want to worry about.
Thanks Chems, that is good news... I think I need to figure out the length of wires needed. That'll dictate if I go the PCB method or try and stretch the cable ...
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: