Bongofish
December 12, 2019, 06:37:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the best monitors to use for 2008?  (Read 6403 times)
Dragonoid
New Poster

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2008, 06:14:14 PM »

I guess a 12ms 500:1 is the way to go for a 15" monitor for the DIY Cintiq, but what makes and models are the best to use for all sizes?
I find that a lot of the newer monitors are putting their power supplies in the case.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 05:15:57 AM by Dragonoid » Logged
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 09:05:55 PM »

I find that a lot of the newer monitors are putting their power supplies in the case.
It is hard to find a NEW external monitor.  There are some that have internal that are very easy to remove.  Even with internal, I don't think there is much worry about jitter, as long as you shield.  The external was just an idea before Drew even made his.

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Geo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 09:26:37 PM »

well the cintiqs have external power bricks so they must know they cause problems .As switz says you will have problems finding them AndreZX  posted a link to a http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=937.0 company but seem they filed for bankruptcy but might be able to find old screens about they are not that good really.  Shielding is prob your only way if you want to buy a new screen and you just have to experiment till it works.
Geo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 09:33:04 PM »

oh on a side note I should add you COULD buy a brand new laptop screen and hook it up to a pc but you need an LVDS controller it will have the external power brick but will cost you 100 ish euro for the lvcd + you need to make sure it works with your screen it should cut down on jitter and all but really its a bitch to set up
Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 12:35:38 AM »

Are we talking about for Cintiqs? I just bought a Philips 19 Inch Wide Screen 5ms monitor for £80, its fantastic.

But as for cintiqs, who knows?!

Dragonoid
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 05:44:54 AM »

I have a great monitor I am using, Viewsonic VX2240W 22" 2ms 4000:1 Dynamic http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcddisplays/xseries/VX2240w/
I'm gong to make a Cintiq with it when I finally get the guts, and I have the Wacom 12"x19" for it as well. It's a sweet monitor.
Before I do I thought I'd make a portable 15".
I may go with the Viewsonic V503b 15" 12ms 500:1, looks alright and may give me some insight of what to expect when I make bigger one.
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcddisplays/valueseries/va503b/

I was wondering if there is a great 15" monitor out there for the Cintiq build though, not a lot of hassles?
Also would be nice to have an update on what monitors are available that fit Wacom sensor boards for anybody just starting and wants to use quicker and better looking displays than the older models already posted.

These two Viewsonics are a perfect fit for it.
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 07:30:58 AM »

Dell 1503fp.

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Dragonoid
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 05:16:00 AM »

Acer AL1516ab  - 12ms, 600:1
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 02:06:28 PM »

The thing is that unles you know what components are in any particular it's a guess if it'll work easily, or require lots of anti-jitter shielding, or just not work at all.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: