Bongofish
August 23, 2019, 09:02:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Salary question for the pro artists  (Read 6327 times)
AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2008, 01:59:44 PM »

Hey guys,

I'm graduating in May, and an animation studio just picked me up to do some freelance character design work for them. They're bidding on a big contract (which they need the characters for), and if they get it they'll be ramping up production big time and I'll probably go to work for them full-time. If and when I go full time, I'll probably be working in all stages of production- concept, modeling, and animation at least.

Any suggestions as to how much I should be charging? I'll probably be working on a per diem basis.

They're a fairly small studio, but this is a big contract for them. And I am just really getting into the industry, but I should also add that the boss loves my work- so much so that I got the job without ever applying there. A friend of mine works there and he showed the boss some of my stuff about a week ago. When they found out on Thursday that they needed to have sketches done for a meeting this Monday, the boss immediately called me when he found out their normal guys wouldn't have time to do it.

Just to give you an idea of the work I do, this is something I can pump out in about an 8 hour work day. I can probably pump out 40 to 75 quick line sketches in that time as well.

Thanks guys. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Andy
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 02:04:21 PM »

That is one of the best drawings I have ever seen (dramatization), but I love it!
I have no idea to your other question though, Good Luck!

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 02:09:06 PM »

That is one of the best drawings I have ever seen (dramatization), but I love it!
I have no idea to your other question though, Good Luck!

Thanks, Switz! Much appreciated.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 05:35:42 PM »

Like the designs there,   Not sure about salary, have a look around your area for the same job but full time and work out an hourly rate from that I guess.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Geo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 10:50:32 PM »

hi well Im no pro but I have done freelance work And I got paid per hr but some jobs give you time frame of say 3 days to get a pice of work done and you get paid at the end. For price as drew says you have to look about your area because will be different for most people. For me I got paid per job for most the freelance work I did (and people in ireland are stupid and pay me more than I ask for) 500 euro for pretty much 2 days work.....
AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 01:35:02 AM »

Wow, 500 euros for two days is a lot more than I was planning on asking for. That's about $785 USD, which is almost twice what I was thinking about.

The problem with finding anything in the area is just that- there really isn't much in the area to go by. All of those salary sites that are supposed to give you baseline numbers only get as specific as "artist" as far as job titles go. That's not really helpful.

I think I'm gonna ask for $250 per day for now and see what they say.
Tanassi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 01:58:46 PM »

hi Andre,

this is a very hard question because there are so many variables.
i'm not from US and i don't know the current rate, but as general rules:

first of all, they'll give you work on a continuous or occasional basis? on occasional basis you could ask more, even $500 a day. if it is a continuous job $250 could be right.

i know it's a great difference but consider that in an occasional job they could ask you to respect some deadlines and you should work more then 8 hour a day may be even night or weekend.

many other factors are taxes, fees, sanitary contribution, included or..?

i think you should consider other issue, do you live with your parents or are you a single?
will you survive with these money, after paying taxes, contributions, sanitary, house, food, gas and other (and taken some money away for the old age)?
if the answer is yes, it's the right price. make your counts and you'll have the answer.

remember always shoot a li'l higher, you can even discuss and lower the price, but cannot rise it if you shooted too low.

good luck with your new job Smiley

cheers... Vince

Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 01:23:52 AM »

Id ask a lot higher than you expect they will give you and put negotiable, and she what happens.

Thanatus
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 03:12:12 PM »

I can't give you any useful advice myself, but the comments on this journal of an excellent digital artist asking the same question might help you.

Hell, you might ask him about it yourself. I think given your obvious dedication and skill in your work he might respond.
AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 05:03:58 PM »

Hey guys, thanks for all the info!

I ended up asking for a pretty fair amount more than the $250 I was originally planning on, and they had no problem with it. This was just for a freelance job, but if they end up picking me up full time — which is a possibility — it'll be well more than double what I'm making at my current job.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 05:06:07 PM by AndreZX » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 07:18:37 PM »

Result!

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Geo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 10:11:24 PM »

Cheesy NICE hope the job works out for your and you enjoy working for them

^^ now you can buy us all cintiqs HINT HINT Tongue
Claymonkey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 03:11:26 PM »

http://www.gag.org/  The Graphic Artist's Guild puts out a book http://www.gag.org/pegs/index.php that they keep up to date that includes industry standards for rates.  They are an excellent resource that includes templates for contracts and forms as well.  If you make 50% or more of your income from art you can become a full member (for a fee of course  Wink ) but that includes the ability to get reasonable health care through them.

LOL... odd that this is my first post after trolling this site for a month. I guess I'll go make my other two so I can start a "who are you" thread.

Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 09:13:41 PM »

http://www.gag.org/  The Graphic Artist's Guild puts out a book http://www.gag.org/pegs/index.php that they keep up to date that includes industry standards for rates.  They are an excellent resource that includes templates for contracts and forms as well.  If you make 50% or more of your income from art you can become a full member (for a fee of course  Wink ) but that includes the ability to get reasonable health care through them.

LOL... odd that this is my first post after trolling this site for a month. I guess I'll go make my other two so I can start a "who are you" thread.
thats a cool site, thanks for sharing!!!!!

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: