Bongofish
October 14, 2019, 07:56:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Serial Wacom - not recognized  (Read 4533 times)
robcat2075

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2007, 09:35:46 AM »

I have an old, old 12x12 Wacom in my attic that worked on a mac a long time ago.  But it was really a serial wacom with a cable that made the conversion from Mac ADB to Serial.

It still powers up and the LEDs indicate that it is sensing the pen when I draw on it.

There are PC drivers for it on the wacom site but I when I install them they dont' "find" the wacom on the serial port.  Is there any trick to using serial ports?  I don't think I've ever used a serial device on a PC before.

Robert Holmén
------
The Robcat View
Rumi

Mad Artist/Scientist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 11:43:15 AM »

Hmmm...sometimes serial ports get turned off via the computers BIOS, can you verify that the serial port is operational by using another device (moem, mouse) on it?

Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 11:59:01 AM »

Also check it in the hardware listing.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 03:00:22 PM »

Do you get a "wrong tablet" message?

ya3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 07:56:59 AM »

99.999% sure it won't work on a PC. It's an ADB tablet, so it won't work on Windows. Even with an adaptor Sad (lots of people have asked this on the Wacom forum)

You can get it to work with OS X using TabletMagic, but you'll need to add 9-pin Serial ports to your Mac.
robcat2075

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 10:32:31 AM »

99.999% sure it won't work on a PC. It's an ADB tablet, so it won't work on Windows.

so far , you're right.  But I e-mailed wacom to ask what the correct dip switch settings  should be and explained that it had been used on a Mac but had a RS-232 port on it and that I was trying to make it work on a PC.  He gave me some settings (which were the same as what it had already been set to), pointed me to a windows driver on their site and never warned me off about it.

Also the ADB cable on it did not look like original equipment, it looked like something hacked together from spare parts.

But , indeed, it hasn't worked yet.  I found a program that monitors the serial port and it detects nothing coming from the tablet.  Maybe I should sell it on ebay and say "worked fine in 1995 on a Mac"

Robert Holmén
------
The Robcat View
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 11:37:32 AM »

It took me a number of attempts to get the 1212 working on my laptop.
There were old tablet driver files left from a non-compatable Graphire.  It was stopping mine installing properly and it didn't seem top want to pick the thing up.

I can't believe Wacom would have made different hardware for Mac/PC when they could do it with dip switch settings and cables, saving themselves much production cost.

It might be worth uninstalling everything tablet related and check that the uninstall hasn't left anything behind.  Do hard resets between all the steps as well.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: