test1
June 27, 2017, 03:01:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Laser Wood Cutting Guide  (Read 9614 times)
Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« on: April 23, 2008, 10:22:01 PM »

Im ready for my next Electrical DIY Project. Having been doing a lot of woodwork lately I really fancy making my own Laser Designator that the fancy power tools have to show where your cut is, or indeed where its going to be when your wood is covering the blade or bit of the router.

I'll show you my little shop first and the router table I said I was making back in the Photo frame thread (Ive got some pics of that to upload as well)

Here is the router table made out of the old tiny desk top.

Mounted underneath with dust extraction in the form of an old vacuum.

Close up of the top, I need to make a new fence this one is just temp:

My cheap table saw.

The main work bench, I built this just after I did my DIY cinitq which had to be made on the floor as I had no work space.

My current work in progress:

So what I want to do, basically I want a system that I can move between the table saw and the router, for the router I want a cross hair of laser line that I can mount off to the side and line up with the bit before I start cutting. For the saw just a single line. Where do I start Bongo?

Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 01:09:48 PM »

One of those cheap lasers for lining up stuff on walls.  I've got one that doesn't self-level, but just has a spirit level built in.  It produces quite a good line though by some magic.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 06:44:16 AM »

Nice chems.
I saw this thing on MythBusters a few days ago.  Its an H20 cutter.  It only cuts rubber and such, but it uses a high powered h20 stream.  Computer controlled.  REEAAALLLYY cool Cheesy

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
iRoc
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 05:45:00 AM »

Water jets can cut through almost an inch of plate steal. They can also cut thin laminate. Very versatile. They're not just for rubber.
Gem

May your pencils stay sharp and your lines true

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 06:46:15 PM »

aircraft manufacturers use them to cut the titanium paneling too
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: