Bongofish
September 16, 2019, 02:07:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: liljimmy's 17" "the jimmistiq"  (Read 11059 times)
liljimmisticles
« on: May 02, 2009, 01:05:52 AM »

After googleing "wacom hacks" at random one day in the not to distant past, I found mister drew's original, and was instantly hooked. I had just procured a "broken" dell 173fp from work, it turned out to be 2 blown caps on the power source. after fixing those it was just a matter of getting a wacom large enough to accomodate the screen. this resolved itself in the form of a group of 5 12" X 18" intous 2's in a dutch bid on ebay, the end of which netted me a slightly used intous 2 for 128.00 usd (score).
luckily my place of business has been scrapping alot of "old technology" lately, so with daily trips to the junk pile I have obtained a vast assortment of stuff for this build, and also a dell gx270 I turned into and ubuntu media box.
the list follows
dell 173fp (free)
feet of free wire
several repurposed power suppy bits
one 4' X 6' sheet of lexan (free) for a case
1 wierd rotating desk keyboard bracket thrunumbulator thingy that has nicely been repurposed into a articulated stand/mount.
12" X 18" intous 2 (128.00 usd 22 shipping)

grand total 150.00 usd so far.......

the case is more or less finished, I still nee my father to get a sheet of top glass cut and beveled for it.
the power source and controller wires have been a little more trublesome then I anticipated. and I am currently trying to sort out some miswired connections.

I'll be posting some pics in the next couple of days.....

liljimmisticles
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 08:13:41 PM »

last night I straightened out the cable issuses, the first one was the ribbon cable from the power source to the controller board. it was 6 wires and just happened to be the same grade as those ide cables for hdd's so  alittle soldering and wa la I have a nicely extended cable that I was able to plug in correctly this time. ( previously i had not paid attention to the wire orentation whilst disassembling the controllerboard side connector and consequently but it together backwards.)

the other half of last nights job was extending the ccfl wires. I soldered in a good 10" of  wire. I thought this might be a problem but after powering it up there is no noticable brightness loss. (yay).

I assembled the entire thing in its current mock up form and fired it up. after alittle calibration I was testing it in PS when I noticed a dead spot about .5" wide running the entire length of the screen from top to bottom about 1.5" in from the left side. I have no idea what is causing this interference, so I suppose I'll just guess and check.  maybe if I get a chance to post some pics someone might pick up on something I am over looking.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 12:40:02 PM »

It's probably something metallic underteath. Lights or a cable or something.

I'm sure I've heard of something similar before, but I can't remember where.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
liljimmisticles
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 06:07:41 AM »

UPDATE.

well I figured out what was causeing this

it was this

that controller board was laying against the wacom sensor causing interference.
after sliding 3 sheet of paper between them I was relieved to see this

so that resolves my last issue she tracks nicely now. here a re a few other shots of the progress so far

my pops is cutting some 3.4 mm glass for me to cover the whole thing with, then alot of finish work and she'll be done.
DonShole

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 10:17:47 AM »

Drewid: "It's probably something metallic underteath. Lights or a cable or something.

I'm sure I've heard of something similar before, but I can't remember where."  Grin

Yeah, my build had the exact issue - solved by completely shielding the screen driverboard with layers of tin foil covered by insulation tape.

EZ CINTIQ. How to build a DIY Cintiq, it's  easier than a DIY PC! www.tabletmod.com
liljimmisticles
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 07:37:16 PM »

thanks for the advice I have a fix for it in the works right now.
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 09:16:23 PM »

Result

@DonShole  I knew I'd seen it before.  Man the stuff that falls out of my head these days. Grin

liljimmisticles
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 06:19:19 AM »

well its been a while but here are a few pics to update the build.
I painted the back of the glass black as well as the case man are these things fun to use.

later

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 01:23:52 PM »

Cracking!   Grin

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 01:24:47 PM »

And tell your dad he's cool.    Grin Grin Grin Grin

dlichtdotcom
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 11:45:46 PM »

Hey liljimmy's awesome build man...that looks really sweet! It looks like the sensor board is much bigger than your LCD which leads me to a question or two. Were you able to map the entire LCD and do NOT have to use a mouse with this setup? and if so are you getting any cursor disalignment to the left or right of your screen?
liljimmisticles
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 11:09:51 PM »

thanks drew, and yeah pops is a pretty cool guy.

dotcom: I have a minor amount of drift top to bottom on the cursor but have zeroed it in pretty close with the wacom driver utilities. there is a post from drew on here somewhere that clued me into how to do this. the nice thing about the wacom driver is that you can cut up the sensor board area and assign it to different screens and areas, right now I have mine setup in a very simple way: both monitors show the same thing the driver is set to full screen and the tablet is set to portion. I hope that answers your questions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: