Bongofish
November 12, 2019, 03:55:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: The Frankenstiq --Was "Le French Bongtiq in progress"  (Read 53904 times)
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2008, 08:13:27 AM »

This is true, but they are quite delicate as well.   I would say this might be a problem.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Kerbec29

from Brittany

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2008, 08:55:20 AM »

"Did you have checked that the soldering / gluing joints are ok here (in red on your edited pic):"

Yes, Colinus, They look perfect under the magnifier. I couldn't work on my build since saturday. Today I have a lot of things to do too... Grrr...  I will try to spare some time for my build.

Thanks for the advice.

Trying to get free of lead and india ink since 1978.
Kerbec29

from Brittany

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2008, 10:40:34 PM »

Well guys, it was great while it lasted.

Today something in my screen's pcb fried.

Real smoke and even a red hot spot in one of the chips' back.

Closer look

I was looking for the problem with the bottom row. Cleaned up everything. Even plugged the pcb's FFC WITHOUT the diyBeamer extension. Checked continuity and shorts in cables. Everything looked OK. But the missing row was still missing. I was resigned to  mount everything in spite of the row. Then I plugged once again the screen to the PC and that was when the fire started.

I don't know why that happened. So I am a little shy to begin frying another good monitor.

Anyway, here are some snapshots of some good parts of my build that can give ideas to somebody.

At one point in the build I realized that It will be easier to keep the neons and everything in the screen in the original black plastic frame. And that it will be easy to gain about 5 mm thickness on that frame. So I dremel...- Sorry, I don't have a Dremel-. I have an old Black&Decker with Dremel type plugs. So I Black&Dremelized the frame. See the original frame and the thickness to gain.

In order to avoid problems with the pcb's screen flaps somehow cutting out themselves, I made two seats for them. This is a picture of them just before gluing. Strange thing, cyanoacrylate glue didn't work on that kind of plastic. Needed to clean up the  cyanoacrylate glue and use another type of glue : Araldite, in France.

I decided the better place for the main pcb of the screen in the back of the wacom was when the plug sockets were aligned with the wacom's own.

That conditionned a lot of things :

For exemple the inverter board should piggyback the main board if I didn't want to extend a lot of the cables going from one to the other.

I placed the inverter in a way that I could put a cache over it that I would use to rest my bongtiq. Guess from what I made the case...

Yes, a portion of a deck on my tool-case...

Another point of view of the back of the Wacom.

That's about everything.

Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2008, 12:39:13 AM »

looks good.  too bad about the frying.

mmmm eggs.......

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2008, 07:23:22 PM »

Wow, that's a shame. I've never seen that happen before.

Kerbec29

from Brittany

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2008, 10:19:43 PM »

Yeah, Drew, I am a real pioneer ! Cheesy

Anyway, I placed a bid for a Iiyama monitor that ends tomorrow...

I reckon that when I was stripping the monitor off  of all the metal shielding and earthings, I was wondering if It wasn't a bit risky.

Kerbec29

from Brittany

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2008, 03:29:55 PM »

Yeah... I am unable to fech a monitor. The prices are going up. It must be an army of diy-cintiq builders out there in France. They are paying double the price it took me a month ago to have my old fried screen. Yesterday there's one that went for 91 € on ebay!

I was wondering if I could use a laptop screen. I dit a little research on this forum and didn't find anything suitable. Yet I distinctly remember that somebody was doing just that.

Anyone can help me ?

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2008, 08:40:22 PM »

Ambidextrose was doing one of those.  You need a LVDS card to drive the screen,  prices of these are really variable depending on the panel you are driving, so you need to know the name, rank and serial number of the screen before ordering.

Kerbec29

from Brittany

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2008, 09:25:03 AM »

Thanks Drew.

wei803

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2008, 12:02:56 PM »

Or you can actually get the seller to bundle the LVDS driver board with the LCD panel. They can pre-programe the board to work with the panel for you. Also not to forget they will bundle the correct LVDS cable, inverter cable, save a lot of time to look for them later.

That's what I'm doing, my seller will ship the panel kit out by end of this week. I'm getting the UXGA (1600*1200 px) 15" panel with a DVI + VGA driver board. Will update how it goes, if it is good, will share the contact with you guys.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:05:17 PM by wei803 » Logged
Kerbec29

from Brittany

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2008, 06:50:53 PM »

Thanks wei803.

colinus

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2008, 11:12:19 AM »

Hey Kerbec29, I've found two dell 1503fp here:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Moniteur-pour-PC-DELL-15-1503FP_W0QQitemZ290234190808QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290234190808&_trkparms=72%3A606%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
http://cgi.ebay.fr/DELL-1503FP-Noir-Ecran-plat-LCD-15-pouces_W0QQitemZ260245018528QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260245018528&_trkparms=72%3A606%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I imagine the shipping costs to Britanny are not expensive...! I've also searched for a 1503 fp on the "ebay-like swiss site", www.ricardo.ch, but nothing.

While talking from Britanny, I'll come there with my familly for holidays, two weeks in Belle-Ile... nice! I come here every two summers!

Hope my post helps!

Kerbec29

from Brittany

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2008, 03:27:49 PM »

Thanks colinus !

I've just had a IIYAMA BX3811U for 62 € a few minutes ago !

Please call me when you come to Brittany. I can show you two or three spots as good as Belle Ile or better in the Finistère !

colinus

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2008, 03:38:30 PM »

Oops, I came too late!
I hope this IIYAMA BX3811U (what's for a strange brand name) won't cause jitters! Personally I've started with a acer, and he was not friendly with my wacom... lot of jitters and random clicks. For punition my girl has made a big puncture in the lcd screen! (see my build log).

Finally I've found a cheap 1503fp witch is well known here, and it works fine! Just minor/ close to no jitter when cursor is near the ccfl's with minimum shielding.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 03:40:25 PM by colinus » Logged

Kerbec29

from Brittany

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2008, 03:54:59 PM »

The first Dell was already in my wishlist. Didn't expect to win the bid for the Iiyama. Anyway I will follow the two Dells bids. One never knows...

The IBM that I fried was not jittery at all. When I put a 3 mm thick glass over the screen the signal was still clear and firm. Frustrating...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: