Bongofish
October 23, 2019, 03:29:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice, anybody?  (Read 3717 times)
a1210
« on: May 02, 2008, 11:56:48 AM »

Hi
I've got a 15" laptop (compaq b3800) with a dead backlight (i think, just ordered a new inverter to test it)
I've ripped it apart and I think I broke the keyboard a bit, so I don't think I'll be putting it back together as a normal laptop.

Soo...... I decided to make it into a slate-like tablet computer
I think I can buy a touchscreen cover thing and use it as a boring basic ol' touchscreen laptop thingy.

OR

I'm looking at buying an A4 graphics tablet and somehow melding the two things together.

I've got a few concerns/questions, so I finally joined the forums. (yey!)
1.) Backlight, I was reading about using LEDs.. I've seen LED strips online that are about 300mm which seem like theyd be alright..
except for the fact that they use 12v and I'm planning on powering it through the USB..
So.. I could try to make my own strip of LEDs..
Anyone tried this before?
Any recommendations on what LEDs to buy? (3mm? will 24 of them do?)

2.) Graphics tablet, I think an A4 intruos3 would be nice.. but it would hurt my wallet too much   :'(
Anyone tried using the Aiptek 12000Us?

Thanks!

Oh forgot to add:
3.) Interference, I'm guessing I'll need to add something like an aluminium sheet between the tablet/screen and the laptop?
What happens when you don't shield things properly..?  Huh
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 12:02:02 PM by a1210 » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 01:10:19 PM »

1)  I don't think you'd get emough power through the USB, but I might be wrong.
2)  Aiptek are really patchy.  I'm not sure they can draw a straight line as it is, let alone with a screen bolted on. 
3) Jitters happen without good shielding, unless you're lucky.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
a1210
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 02:59:23 PM »

Hi Drewid, thanks for the reply Smiley
1.)I think USB is 5V at .5A or so.. so it should be possible to power a bunch of LEDs in parallel (but actually doing it might be a bit difficult  Cheesy)
I've seen a USB 10 LED strip somewhere for like a fiver, but I don't think it'll provide enough light (linky to ebay)

2.)What about.. other cheapo graphic tablets like.. Geniuses and Trust?
AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 04:21:23 PM »

To be honest, I think I've gotta recommend going with CCFLs over LEDs for the backlight. I finally got my screen bright enough, but it took well over a hundred 10mm 130,000mcd LEDs. Total pain in the butt to set up, and it's still not as bright as the originals.
a1210
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 05:37:37 PM »

over a hundred LEDs?  Shocked
hmm so i'm guessing that 10 LED usb thingy has no chance..
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 06:08:39 AM »

I am using about 36 leds in my setup.  Its bright... on a 17" monitor but still no where near as bright as ccfls.  My monitor had a dead backlight, so I said... why not?

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: