Bongofish
December 14, 2019, 05:49:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 6x11 widescreen tablet, monitor options...?  (Read 11589 times)
Khornate
New Poster

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2008, 11:54:35 AM »

Hi,

this is the tablet I have: http://www.bonniebruno.com/intuos3.jpg ... Its 6x11", which is about 12.5" across. Trouble is, its seems very hard to find a screen thats that small and is widescreen too, there are some laptops, but theyre either not very good screens, or expensive... so I was wondering if it would be possible to just get a standard screen thats a bit bigger, say 15" inch (as long as its 11" wide) and then just leave the top or bottom outside the effective area...

Also, does it matter if I use a screen from a laptop or a standard lcd monitor?

I've actually got this laptop on hand http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/notebooks/0,39050488,39015802p,00.htm  ... Not sure how good the screen is though, just overlaps the sides of the tablet effective area by about 1cm, which is perfect I guess Smiley ... Only issue with this is that it is a fairly old computer, although it hasnt been in use for about 2 years now.

Any suggestions on high quality ~15" screens?

Also, say I bought a screen like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110255701177&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=110255700336&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4
Is it a big deal to set it up?

Thanks Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 01:17:38 PM by Khornate » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 01:32:42 PM »

Hi

Laptop screens need an LVDS card to drive them.  Prices for these vary a LOT so you'd need to know the make and model of your panel before you can get a bead on that.  There are people that sell them on ebay, Claymonkey has one on the way from Hong Kong at the moment, it might be worth seeing how he does with that particular vendor.    AmbiDextroses build uses one as well. 

As to particular monitors, unless one has been successfully used in the past then it's a bit of a gamble as to whether it will jitter or not.  It's possible to get an idea without stripping the monitor by using the tablet on top of the screen.  If it doesn't jitter then that implies that any interference can be shielded.

Of course you need the monitor running to be able to do this.  Roll Eyes

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 02:55:31 PM »

Hi

Laptop screens need an LVDS card to drive them.  Prices for these vary a LOT so you'd need to know the make and model of your panel before you can get a bead on that.  There are people that sell them on ebay, Claymonkey has one on the way from Hong Kong at the moment, it might be worth seeing how he does with that particular vendor.   
His already arrived.
He broke his monitor it was programmed for in the meantime though..
or actually, it was broken when he got it.

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Khornate
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 08:57:56 AM »

Wasnt really sure what question you were replying too...

So is it possible to just let the screen overlap the tablet on one side and still set it up to work how its meant to? and any monitor suggestions thatd fit the size?
Claymonkey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 10:27:22 AM »

6x11 widescreen? Ok so you're limited to something 12.52" or under screen size wise. So yeah a 12.1 widescreen laptop screen is probably your best bet IF you can get it working. That will be a 1280x800 screen likely, first off I'd watch out for glossy screens and honestly... that's pretty much a specialty newer item so if you can find it for less that $200 I'd be surprised.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VGA-TFT-LCD-Panel-LVDS-Controller-Back-Light-Inverter_W0QQitemZ180250883492QQihZ008QQcategoryZ61398QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem This is a current auction of the same item I bought. I have a replacement screen for the one that arrived broken that is coming so I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. That and you want to order this AFTER you have bought the lcd you're going to use unless you know how to program in IPX and have a 4pin programmer (I sure don't). That and like everything else here... we promise no success since in the end we are in the same boat you're in.. playing it by ear and hoping for the best.

The one I found was: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DELL-INSPIRON-XPS-M1210-12-1-LCD-SCREEN-GF953-FF744_W0QQitemZ370044028076QQcmdZViewItem but that's glossy and that would drive me insane. If you want to find one find the laptop model's or lcd panel models that are 12.1 (such as this dell or an ibook) and search on ebay for that.

Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.
Khornate
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 12:17:13 PM »

So the screen size has to be at or under the tablet size?

I've got a glossy lcd screen as my current monitor, I prefer it to standard screens... but is there some issue with using glossy screens for a tablet that makes it a bad choice?

In regards to the two items you posted, they would be compatible with this build right?

...Couldnt find any specs on that screen either, any idea what the contrast ratio and brightness are? Also doesnt say the aspect ratio so not sure itll fit the tablet's
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 12:29:22 PM by Khornate » Logged
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 12:28:03 PM »

The only problems with glossy is that it is gonna be really reflective and probably really annoying to work with.

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Khornate
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 12:46:36 PM »

I dont think that screen would fit, the aspect ratio is 1.6:1... whereas the tablet's is 1.83:1 , very wide. Doesnt look like there's much hope to get a screen that small at that ratio Sad
Khornate
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 01:16:19 PM »

6x11 widescreen? Ok so you're limited to something 12.52" or under screen size wise. So yeah a 12.1 widescreen laptop screen is probably your best bet IF you can get it working. That will be a 1280x800 screen likely, first off I'd watch out for glossy screens and honestly... that's pretty much a specialty newer item so if you can find it for less that $200 I'd be surprised.

So that means that anything that is larger than the tablet size is out of the question?
AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 03:54:35 PM »

Generally, yeah. Unless you only want to be able to draw on an isolated portion of the screen, which in my opinion would be totally useless. One of the builds around here did that, so it'd be worth checking out that thread.

But on a side note, I've never understood why Wacom made so many tablets that were nowhere near the same aspect ratio as any of the monitors out there. 6x11? That's such a random size.

Cheers,
Andy
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 07:46:37 PM »

Fl0s Mac powerbook used a 8x6 tablet behind a portion of his 15" screen.  His log is in the successful builds bit.

Claymonkey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 08:24:08 PM »

Geez I didn’t even think that it wasn’t a 16x10 aspect ratio.. that’s closer to 16x9 but the 9 is really an 8.73. Finding a 12.1 widescreen lcd is hard enough.. finding it at a 16x9 ratio… eesh.

FYI – 16x10 tends to be computer monitors and 16x9 tends to be televisions. Weird choice Wacom….

As for why you don’t want glossy even if you like it for a regular display, it does tend to be distracting and annoying when drawing like Andre said. Here is a good way to decide if if you’d be ok with it.  Take a light table or transparency projector (mental exercise if you don’t have access to this stuff). First draw on it with a matte piece of paper on it… then do it again with a piece of transparency film (glossy) with another piece of paper behind it if non white backing.  Would you be ok ALWAYS drawing on a transparency sheet with the gloss.. it will be different but it’s a personal choice.

Like Drew said someone did put a 6x8 behind a powerbook screen. Personally having only some of the screen touchable would drive me insane. Having a screen smaller than the touchable area  seems to be the better route.. you can still map the other area to do other stuff (see my build to for how).  You might have luck using one of these newer 8.9” or 10” eee pc/wind computers with that 6x11 screen.  Still that would mean tearing apart TWO new devices to make a cintiq.. at that point you’d be better off buying the 12” cintiq. You already have the intous3 but would like a cintiq thus the square peg round hole issue. Versus not buying anything until you find out if it theoretically might work. It looks like you can get $300+ for that still on ebay… that plus the $500 for the larger mini pc’s and you already have reached the cost of the small cintiq for a lot less work. Sadly with that size tablet you really are limted to laptop lcd’s and the pain/expense of an lvds controller.  That is until you can get something like a photo frame in the size you need that can also be a monitor (Asus is coming out with a 7” one).

Obviously I’m not building one just for cheapness sake. My time after the whole process would probably net me a second job or contract gig that would buy me a cintiq. It’s also the challenge and fun of making one and learning something new.  Everyone here is dealing with a square peg In a round hole even if they research like mad before buying anything. It’s why each of our builds is slightly different. We can’t all get UD-1212r’s and the dell 15” lcd’s like drew did.. and that wouldn’t be much fun anyway, and look how much we have learned in a short time doing it 50 different ways.  That and what do you put all these parts into? The cintiq case? The monitor case? Make something custom? Each one different.

Oops… where did this soap box come from? Wink  Seriously, we are HAPPY to help you make this happen if you want to go further. I’ll be keeping everyone up to date on my build as the parts come in.

AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 08:46:02 PM »

Yeah, I just wanted to chime in on the glossy screen bit.

The screens of my 20" build (glossy plexiglass cover) and my laptop (matte finish) are about the same visibility when viewed in the dark. However, when viewed in an even moderately bright room, the laptop remains fine while my glossy simtiq is almost unusable. The glare is oppressive.

I just noticed this same phenomenon in the back room of my house. We had a 27" CRT television in there, and it was always miserable to watch during the day because the walls of our house are probably 60% windows. There was always a ridiculous glare, no matter where you sat. You could only watch it at night.

Then, one day a few weeks ago, it died. We took the opportunity to get our first HDTV. Even though it's only a 26" bugger, it's amazingly better to watch. The matte finish of the LCD screen means no glare! I can watch TV during the day! To celebrate, I watched all 24 episodes of the first season of Heroes this past weekend.  Grin

Anyway, not to hurtle off-topic too quickly..... I've always wondered if there were people who preferred the glossy look. I've seen a lot of consumer-level laptops touting the glossy displays as if they were a bonus feature. You could even order them as an option on some Dell models when I was looking a year or two ago.

Claymonkey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 09:24:22 PM »

I had a work Toshiba that came with a glossy screen and it just annoyed me. I don't see the point of it unless you're watching a movie and sitting a few feet away.. something that happened less that 1% of my time on that machine.

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 02:56:44 PM »

My daughter got a glossy screen of her laptop, annoys the hell out of me.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: