Bongofish
August 20, 2019, 10:28:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cintiq 21UX price drop  (Read 5657 times)
AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2008, 02:46:47 PM »

The 21ux's price has dropped (in the USA, anyway) from $2,499 to $1,999, which now puts it at the same price as the 20wsx.

I'm wondering why they'd drop the cost of the big one and keep the same price for the 20WSX. Who's going to buy the smaller one now?

Their screens are both almost exactly the same width — about 17.04" — and the 21ux's screen is about 2 inches taller, giving it about 20% more surface area than the 20wsx. Their resolutions are 1600x1200 for the 21UX, and 1680x1050 for the 20WSX.

The 20wsx does have a slightly greater dpi at 98.6, compared to the 21UX's 93.9 dpi. But that 5% difference should hardly be perceptible I would think.

It just seems to me that given the choice between two things that are the same price, almost everyone is going to spring for the toy that's 20% bigger.  Grin

I think I'm going to be getting a 21ux soon (though I'm still not abandoning my builds!). My parents have been looking for something to get me for a graduation gift (just finished at Rutgers about 3 weeks ago), and after much deliberation, we're going to split the cost of one of these. I'm getting pretty excited about it.
AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 02:58:53 PM »

Just did a little hunting... the 20wsx does have a few advantages over the 21ux. It has 14 express keys as opposed to 21ux's 8, and it's contrast ratio is 600:1 as opposed to the 21ux's 550:1. It also has a better pixel pitch (0.258mm vs. 0.277mm).

I guess that might justify the fact that they're the same cost. 2 minutes ago I was sure I wanted the 21UX. Now I might have to compare them in person.  Grin
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 03:16:04 PM by AndreZX » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 09:05:02 PM »

I suppose they might be trying to shift old stock to make way for the newer models.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 09:21:15 PM »

Are they supposed to be coming out with newer models anytime soon? The same thought had vaguely occurred to me, and now I'm wondering if I should hold off and wait for the new ones.
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 08:20:57 PM »

Sorry, I meant the 20 and the 12. Roll Eyes

I've not heard about any others.

AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 01:14:19 AM »

Oooh, that makes sense. Good point.
Tanassi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 12:11:15 PM »

hi guys,

unfortunately in Europe the 20WSX isn't selled at all.

if you want one you have to buy it in USA, but you don't have technical assistance in Europe, i asked why in the Wacom forum but had no answer.
i read somewhere that at the last Las vegas CES, Wacom showed a new touchscreen technology... may be new Cintiqs will have some pen/touch/multi touch technology?

i hope so, we'll can interact with the tablet both with pen, for a precise pointing, and fingers, to selecting menus, panning/zooming etc.
look what this guy did http://zesty.ca/tht/ very intriguing for a DIY making, don't you?

Wacom staff is very reserved about releasing future programs so we have to wait only and see Smiley

cheers... Vince

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 01:31:15 PM »

I know they're working on a brush as well, and yeah,  I expect some multi-touch functionality at some point.   That zesty thing is uber neat, it must be reasonably easy for someone with Wacom's development to run multi-touch finger and a pen at the same time.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: