test1
April 30, 2017, 09:33:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody use a CNC service?  (Read 7397 times)
AndreZX

Why buy today what you could build tomorrow?

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2008, 11:24:27 PM »

Hey guys,

Does anybody know of a CNC milling place that will mill out a small aluminum part (maybe 3"x4"x0.5") for me without requiring that I order multiple pieces?

I'm looking at getting a new car, specifically a Mazdaspeed3, and I'm going to remove all of the badges and emblems from it to give it a much cleaner look. The only problem is that the front emblem (see picture) is set into a plastic crosspiece in front of the grille. If I remove the badge, I'm going to have a big hole there.

I'm planning on designing and modeling in 3D a new custom emblem to take its place. I just need to find a place that will do it for me that won't require me to order 50,000 copies.

Thanks all,
Andy

Edit: I'm planning on ideally doing it in aluminum, but really I'm cool with steel or fiberglass or whatever can hold up on the front of a car.

* Car.jpg (124.02 KB, 900x675 - viewed 532 times.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 11:26:01 PM by AndreZX » Logged
Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 11:50:46 AM »

Id bet money that cross piece is part of the bumper.

A much quicker and cheaper way to remove that front logo is to take it to a body shop where they can saw away that part, rebuild it with filler and paint it. Wont cost much at all.

AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 03:10:02 PM »

Id bet money that cross piece is part of the bumper.

A much quicker and cheaper way to remove that front logo is to take it to a body shop where they can saw away that part, rebuild it with filler and paint it. Wont cost much at all.

Yeah, that's plan B. I checked it out in person and it actually looks like that cross piece might be even be a separate piece entirely so they wouldn't even have to saw it off, but I'm kinda loving the idea of having my own custom badge on my car. Call it my inner artist, but I'd love to make this car "mine", you know?

But if the cost ends up being over $300-$500 or so, I'll just get rid of that crosspiece. I already took it out in Photoshop, and the car looks pretty mean without it. So either way, I'm happy.

Thanks,
Andy 

Edit: If I have to, I'll just send the model to one of those 3D Printing places that specialize in doing 3D character models in that plastic composite stuff. Then I'll just cast a plaster mold of that and use that to make a fiberglass copy of it. That method should run me no more than $250, I would think.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 03:24:47 PM by AndreZX » Logged
AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 03:24:32 PM »

Here were a couple ideas I had for the emblem's design itself.

I was thinking about working with my last name (Zazzera) for the designs, and here's a couple I was thinking about, just to throw them out there:
- A Superman logo with a Z instead of an S. (might have some issues making that look right)
- The Incredibles logo, but with a Z instead of the I (did a mockup of this in Photoshop, and this could be very cool)
- Maybe something with a "Z3" idea, since there's 3 Zs in my name, and the car is a speed3.

I'd love to pull something together with any of the superhero ideas. Even though they're totally nerdy, it's okay because I'm an animator.  Grin  We're supposed to be nerdy, and having this would lend some serious nerd cred.

Do you guys have any other ideas? I'm open to any and all suggestions here. It doesn't even have to include the Z idea, that was just one concept.

Thanks,
Andy
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 03:35:25 PM by AndreZX » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 10:52:49 PM »

Ponoko do various plastics that you could use as a starting point.
http://www.ponoko.com/makeandsell/materials

I like the Z3 idea I have to say. Might be worth trying on some random typefaces to see if any inspiration strikes.
myfonts.com allows you to put in your own text to try and has some cool font searching tools.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 07:57:04 AM »

No idea where, but im sure you can find a place online.
I like the Z3, but any cool emblem would look sick as shit.  This could affect the resale value for the better or worse Cheesy.

Depends on the buyer.

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 01:10:44 PM »

Drew, thanks for that link!

And yeah, Switz, if anything it'll hurt the value of the car. Ah well. I'm not planning to sell it for 5 years or so, so it shouldn't make a whole lot of difference at that point. And I'll still keep the original badges, just in case.

My friend had a cool suggestion with the Z3 idea. Do you guys know what a sleeper car is? I believe the equivalent in British English is a Q-car. Either way, it means a high-performance car with an unassuming and normal looking exterior. This car would definitely be a sleeper, since it looks just like the normal Mazda 3 but it'll blow the doors off most cars on the road (0-60 mph in around 5.5 seconds, quarter mile in 14 seconds flat at 100mph).

So my friend Josh had the idea to do something like a "zZz" idea, so you get the sleeper idea, and 3 Zs. I like it, and I think it could be pretty cool.

In the meantime, I've been playing around with the Incredibles logo idea, and I'll have shots of that posted a little later this morning.
Chems

He Who Dares Draws on a DIY Cintiq

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 12:23:26 AM »

Well it will still be cheaper than the £400 I paid to personalize my car. Im the proud owner of CH** EMS number plate. Smiley

Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 04:15:50 AM »

Its 20 USD or so to buy your own custom license plate here lmao.  You spent that much on a license plate?

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
AndreZX

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 04:56:42 AM »

I found a guy who will do rougher ABS plastic prototypes of the models, from which I can create plaster molds to make fiberglass copies. He said it should be about $100 to $150 as a rough estimate, with exact numbers once I give him the final model.

For now I'm gonna go with the Z Incredibles logo, and if that works out I'll do a few different ones and swap them out whenever I'm in the mood.

Some other ideas I've been working on:
The Autobots and Decepticons insignias
The Star Wars Imperial and Rebel insignias
The logo of the Monarch from the Venture Brothers (think evil butterfly)

Again, any other geek ideas, let me know. I'm trying to think of something to come up with for my vanity plates too.  Grin

Cheers,
Andy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: