Bongofish
November 14, 2019, 06:14:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So, about that external power supply...  (Read 3019 times)
mrblackbird
New Poster

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2008, 07:22:44 AM »

I might just dare to venture into the "more trouble than it's worth" territory.

I have a deep fondness for ACER screens. They're inexpensive even new, they're well made, they have great displays. And, there is a 16'' wxga^2 ACER screen that I happen to be eying.

However, the beast of the integrated power supply looms. Whether or not it is integrated into the the actual plate remains to be seen. That's the problem. There is a list of monitors that include external psu's, but not for those whose internal supply is easier to relocate than others. Because the external psu is zipping out of style, I suppose if we want to continue to create DIY sim-tiqs, the problem is going to have to be tackled.

So I suppose my question is, does anyone have any idea as to the state of the power supply unit that is inside of any of the ACER monitors? Or any monitors with an integrated supply?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 07:27:13 AM by mrblackbird » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 08:28:36 AM »

Not off the top of my head, but it might be worth searching a couple of sources.  Lumenlabs forum has lots of pictures of monitor strips so thats always a good place to start.  It would also be worth googling for a service manual for that particular screen.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
mrblackbird
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 08:48:20 AM »

I'm also just brainstorming, as I did look for a strip down of a monitor with an internal power supply. Now, forgive me, because i'm honestly learning about most of this electronics wise as I go along, but are there issues designing a build where the internal power supply is still present? It looked like it was located on the driver board of the monitor.

Suppose I configure the case to accept the presence of the power supply, include extra shielding, and of course add case fans?

If I become as ambitious as I want to, I kind of want to make a semi-portable slate PC out of this creature (it would require quite a bit of research into converters and power supplies, etc.) since I've already built quite a few systems.

Thanks!
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 05:54:53 PM »

There are a couple of builds that have worked with internal supplies, either moved or in place.   
It's as much paranoia as anything, it's a potential source of  interference but nothing has ever been proved.  In fact the only time a powersupply has been proved to cause interference it was external anyhow,  and probably failing.

There are sucessful builds still in the main thread, I'm moving them gradually, so it's worth looking through there as well.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: