Bongofish
November 19, 2019, 11:37:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: LCD kits with LVDS Included  (Read 9657 times)
mrblackbird
New Poster

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:42:25 AM »

So, I don't know if this has been posted before, but I found a site that sells fully kitted notebook lcd's (Yes, the LVDS comes with them!) over at www.manhattanlcd.com.

They have WSXGA and WUXGA 15.4 lcd panels. The WSXGA kit runs $250, and happens to be the one I'm eying.

No stripping involved, no fcc extension, and I'm still checking up on the power supply location. There is an external available on the site, but I'm not sure if it fits with this kit or not. Looks like you could possibly order the LVDS through them if you already have a panel and know the connection. Might be limited to 15.4 and the smaller screen they have (so much for that 17'' screen I have lying around).

just thought you guys would be interested in this find.
m0x

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »

Sounds good, but do they ship to Germany/Europe also?
I can't take a look, because I have to register for experience this, but to register and then explore that they do not ship "overseas", sounds not that good Tongue

I would be very glad if someone could have a look for me =)

Greets, Julian
mrblackbird
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 06:44:51 PM »

since i'll be ordering a kit from them, i'll check the registration for you and let you know.

- ethan
m0x

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 06:53:25 PM »

thanks, thats cool =)
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 09:05:35 PM »

Diy-beamer ,based in Germany (I think), do something similar looking, not that I've studied these kits.

http://www.diy-beamer.com/EN/store/comersus_listItems.asp?idCategory=166

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
m0x

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 12:36:45 PM »

Cool Smiley

Am I right when I think that - if I buy one of these - it will be unneccessary to stripp anything or conduct any FFC cables ?Smiley
...or at least I save some time and maybe material that can get destroyed ?=)

Greets, Julian
mrblackbird
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 11:40:58 PM »

Yes, with the notebook LCD kits, you avoid the FCC cable issue, it is true. That's part of why I'm drawn to them.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 08:51:44 AM »

The only things I'm not sure about.  Does the HD card also support DVI/VGA whatever you need inputs? 

There is also the jitter problem, though most people seem to get round that with good shielding and various driver tricks/resolution changes etc, there is a risk that you might get jitter and it might not be curable.   However this is no more a risk than buying any panel that hasn't previously been sucessfully used.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
mrblackbird
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 10:50:02 AM »

No DVI output, but there is VGA support in all of the LVDS cards I have seen on the site.

I'm concernicus about the jitter issues as well, and buying a kit is certainly forking out a bit more money than usual for an lcd monitor... but still less than a cintiq or a laptop, so at the moment, I'm okay with it.
m0x

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 12:57:18 PM »

Btw, did you check out if they ship to europe anyways ?

Thanks for the German/Swiss site Drew, but maybe it could be much cheaper for me to buy one of these $-things because of the strong € and the weak $ atm Wink

Greetings, Julian=)
mrblackbird
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 06:16:36 PM »

Seems they ship to the greater part if not the entirety of Europe. Germany has its own special little home in the drop down menu as well.

Yeah, thanks to the strength of most currency compared to what the USD is doing at the moment, chop those prices in half, and then figure in shipping, etc.

I logged into the site to check for you, but at the moment I've switched to a 15'' sharp lcd screen I nabbed for $21 off ebay. The shipping was horrendous, but it still came out less than $55. I'll make my mistakes with this panel, and when I'm more confident, I'll get the better panel.

Word of caution, rereading some of their descriptions, it seems like the CCFLs are NOT included, but! I have emailed a query to them and i'm sure I will know by the end of the day. I think the purpose behind the lack of the CCFL might fall under the fact that this site is catering to those folks who are making DIY projectors, thus the CCFL has no purpose because they'll be dropping a much stronger light and lens sets behind and in front of the screen? I really don't know how the projector side of things works, to be honest, this is just a guess.

Good luck!

blackbird
m0x

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 06:47:30 PM »

thanks, thats useful Smiley

Well... I'm not really sure, if I should use "trial and error" on another display before I get to the real "material" ... :/
I've never done something like this before, but I also dont have that much money "floating"... :/

I will try to build one of these together with some friends from university, one said to me "It seems to be very easy ...put the Wacom on top of the LCD and thats it!"  ...but I assume that thats not all Tongue

m0x

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 11:43:12 PM »

btw blackbird, did they reply yet ?

Greetings, Julian
digitalfog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 07:07:44 PM »

I contacted the individual that Wei purchased his kit from and ordered two controllers from him(Chen)  BTW ( I purchased two cards from twong on eBay and neither one work for my monitors.)  Chen has been very responsive with email.

His website: http://www.diyprojectorkits.com/welcome/  His email addy: cityhunterbj@hotmail.com

The cards I purchased are not listed on the site because they don't support TV,  $80.00 which includes card, cable, OCD, Inverter, PS.  Requires around 5 day lead time for build.  Ill post how things go with my order here when I receive the cards.  Should be about 7-10 days.

He offers several Kit options 15"/15.4" and several different cards as well. 

m0x

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 07:53:56 PM »

Yeh, I contacted him too, but after he told me he "will check the shipping costs", he didnt replied anymore Sad
...and thats more than a week ago Sad
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: