Bongofish
August 18, 2019, 12:49:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using your Screen Tablet  (Read 4838 times)
goDogs
New Poster

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2007, 12:44:28 PM »

After admiring Wacoms for so many years now, I felt stunned into some sort of action (or the thought of it) to attempt this DIY after stumbling upon this site. But I've been thinking about whether I'd really need one after all.

I'm currently still in the early stages of me architecture course, but even so the programs I've used are primarily programs like AutoCAD, Autodesk VIZ and other similiar programs. These don't require, nor are able to use (to my knowledge) any pressure sensitivity, so I guess that aspect of tablets won't matter too much in my case? Is there much difference between the range of tablets in terms of accuracy, however?

Although I do still have the occasional need to use programs such as photoshop, Illustrator, etc. for presentations, renderings and such, so this kinda justifies my desire for an uber pressure-sensitive tablet that I can afford.

-------

So uh, getting to the reason for this thread, just wanting to ask what everyone else will be using their tablets for? What kind of programs and for what kind of projects will you guys be using your screen tablets for? Sorry if it's a bit of a stupid question, just curious.

Any architects in this forum also? Ahoy to you all! = ] 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 12:48:28 PM by goDogs » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 02:11:24 PM »

Photoshop,  Paint Shop Pro, Dogwaffle, Painter,

Not tried it with Maya yet, though I have seen someone using a "blind" tablet for it, it seemed a bit wierd as a concept though I couls see it being useful for polyscuplting or artisan (painted on) effects and brushes.

I've still to try it with Z-Brush.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Kopingraaz
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 02:33:03 PM »

I'm in a Architectur course too. (In the Netherlands it's called Higher technical school for engineering. It's a sort of pre-university)
Bud i'm using my tablet (an intuos1 a5) alot! Mostly because of RSI but it's very useful for drawing sketshes, and even if I would not have those RSI problems I still would  use my tablet most of the time.
I use it in Autocad, 3DsMax, Paint shop pro, Photoshop, SketchUp and for anything else.
I was using a Graphire1 before, but this intuos is way better.

I'm now working on my own cintiq (http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=119.0) And I really think I'll be using it alot.
And besides the great advantages of your own cintiq, It's mostly fun to build one yourself!
goDogs
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 10:35:42 AM »

Hey Kopingraaz, good on ya for doing archi! = ]

Yeah it seems like a good rewarding DIY, kudos to Drewid - and followers - of course for making the dream happen!

Interesting that you mentioned SketchUp, have you seen GoogleEarth, around Japan? I don't know whether it depends on the GoogleEarth version or whatever, but the (what looks like) ENTIRE city of Tokyo is modelled in 3D!

We did a project last year where our entire year level modelled a large area of our CBD, crazy stuff. Have you guys done something similar? The end result is awesome.
Kopingraaz
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 05:33:21 PM »

I use SketchUp mostly for shadow- and shapestudies on buildings.
I could not find the Tokyo model on GoogleEarth, dut I'm sure it would look great!
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 03:32:41 AM »

To be honest lol, I am terrible at drawing.  I do designing as a hobby, and I can't draw for shit.  I suck at it and I can barely even draw a straight line. Shocked    Just doing this for fun and for the experience.  Probably going to use this in Photoshop, mabye Maya (recently bought, not too good at it), mabye Paint Shop Pro, and a few others.

Whatever, good luck!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 01:36:12 AM by switz » Logged

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Ferret

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 01:45:20 AM »

Admittedly, I'm at stage 1 so I can't comment on using a DIY 15" tablet, but I'm writing this on Atlantis, my main system and a Fujitsu-Siemens T4210 TabletPC, so I know how it goes.

Things that I like? Easy pointing, easy Gimping (Sounds wrong, but I use it instead of Photoshpping as I use The GIMP, not Photoshop. Duh.) Although it doesn't seem to support the Wacom drivers for Windows in terms of Pressure sensitivity. I had the Tablet running ALMOST fine under linux for about. . . half an hour. . . Couldn't calibrate it right, (as I couldn't find a calibration program and info on the Penabled sensor is nonexistant) and despite the fact that my pen didn't line up with the cursor right (Fine top left, but got worse as you moved it further down right) I at least had perfect pressure sensitivity in my Application of choice. Hail the Wacom-Linux drivers (In my links/drivers thread).

What else. . . The ability to handwrite in MSN with my contact being able to read what the hell I sent them. (Not so easy with a mouse and virtually impossible with the touchpad of my notebook.)

Things I hate? Handwriting recognition. The XPTBPC2005 is the best implementation I've seen, but nonetheless it sucks, big time. Hence the terrible appearance of all other posts so far, they were done in slate-mode. Also the incompatibility between tablets and their tools. Some of those funky airbrushes and mice would have been great on this portable, but they simple can't be used. C'est la vie, I guess and they only do it so they can make money on the expensive ones instead of the cheap ones (Fair enough since they're a big corp)
dynam1c

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 04:37:03 PM »

I too am at stage 1 waiting on damn customs to release my wacom

However I gave up on using a mouse about a year and a half ago, after my mate donated my his intuos.

Programs I use,

Maya - set up the buttons correctly and the pen can do everything with 100% more accuracy and speed then the mouse, especially if you know the keyboard shortcuts
3d Max - for set design and architectural work (It aint as good as maya but still better then mouse)

Photoshop - pressure sensitivity ROCKS !!
Flash - Easy to animate easy to draw easy to everthing.
Illustrator - Dont understand how you can use illustrator without a tablet

this is the sort of desktop I would probably use (once its finally made)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_lxBwvf3Vk

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: