Bongofish
September 16, 2019, 02:06:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Journey of the cintiq-like creature...  (Read 2963 times)
mrblackbird
New Poster

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2008, 05:53:03 AM »

Hello.

Blackbird suits me fine.

no relations to that thing that came out of a particular big name computer company though.

Well, I have a laptop that died recently, and it started my journey into the world of tablet pc's. What i really wanted though, was a cintiq. Not just any cintiq though, but that beautiful and elusive marriage of laptop and cintiq that is both better than what is offered, and actually worth the money spent on it.

So I agonized over a measly 12.1 inches of screen, pitiful resolutions, and 256 pressure inputs.

And then, I found this site. I honestly do wish I had the wherewithal to make a portable cintiq-alike tablet. I've got questions about lvds cards  because I have a bum laptop nearby with a 17'' screen that works perfectly well. I also already own an Intuos3 9x12. If I feel like sacrificing it to the greater good, I'm already most of the way there.

So, that's my story.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »

Cool, Welcome to the forum.

We'll have to see what we can do.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
m0x

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 08:28:39 AM »

welcome to this forum, I'm also "new" =)
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 08:37:07 AM »

Oh and the LVDS card depends entirely on the panel you've got.
How dead is the laptop?

I guess the best build to look at would be this Weis splendid accomplishment:
http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1290.0

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
mrblackbird
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 08:58:36 AM »

This is an old Alienware m7700 aurora, and it persists in refusing to boot. CMOS doesn't detect the hard drives, but that two hard drives should explode at the same time is a bit telling. I think the motherboard has gone to the great dusty hardware pile in the sky. I'm completely willing to pull the laptop apart to discover what panel and connection it uses for the purpose of a converter, buuuutt....

I've been scoping the prices, and it really just isn't worth it at the moment.

My pipe dream seems to be fading further and further away, but building a cintiq-alike for home use is completely within my grasp.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: