Bongofish
December 08, 2019, 08:23:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: La Fox Tablet // Mark II  (Read 16639 times)
buildorbust

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2011, 02:27:31 AM »

More than a pixel, for sure...
I have noticed that jitters completely vanish when I turn the monitor and switch back to the display of my laptop... ( as soon as the backlights turn off )

That's not necessarily indicative of what's going on. When you swap back to your main, you're turning off the screen. If you want to test whether it's the screen or the inverter/backlights causing you trouble you need to unplug them and turn the screen on by itself. Put it in extended mode instead of straight swapping it so you have both displays at once. If you have the inverter unplugged from the main whatever interference you get is either from the screen or the control board(s) and/or their position. If it completely disappears, then it's the inverter or bulbs. But you need to have it running without the backlight to make that determination.

Many displays automatically turn off on no signal input, which won't really help you if you're trying to track down interference.
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2011, 08:01:36 AM »

Yes, i was going to say the same, i meant trying to power the screen on without the inverter plugged in to make sure if it's from the backlight and not the LCD matrix. And do you have any shielding currently? Some pics would be nice!
Le_renard

Born to be (Oscar) Wild(e)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2011, 09:05:44 AM »

I will take some pictures today.

You're right, I just swapped back to my main monitor and didn't unplug the backlights, etc...
I have to do so to track the jitter source down.

I still have the metal backplate behind the tablet, but no shielding or anything else.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Le_renard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2011, 11:58:14 AM »

I have just found two cheap 50cmx50cm frames ( with real ugly prints on it ^^ ) in a store, and some thin wooden panel in my shed.
I plan to place this panel between the two frames, sandwich-like.
On one side of the panel, face down, the board, inverter, etc... lcd stuff...

* IMG_0626.jpg (284.79 KB. 1500x1125 - viewed 482 times.)

On the other side of the panel, face up, the tablet and the screen itself.
I would then add a 50cmx50cm glass sheet on top of it all, and another 50cmx50cm wooden panel at the bottom of the build.
Some holes to access the monitor control buttons and the various cables.

I will probably have enough room left to include a tiny usb controller or two and assign them the Adobe and Corel functions I use the most...
A shuttle Express : http://www.altoedge.com/design/multimedia-video-controller.html
and a Korg Nanokey : http://www.korg.com/nanoseries2

* IMG_0627.jpg (235.27 KB. 1500x1125 - viewed 498 times.)

Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2011, 12:18:17 PM »

The inverter should be nowhere near the screen! It generates a strong electromagnetic field that passes through the wood and panel with no effort. If you still want to have the inverter under the screen, you need to sandwich a sheet of metal or aluminium foil between them for sheilding. Of course, the metal/foil should not touch the electronics, so put it in a plastic bag or something - on my build the inverter is under the tablet and screen, so i've placed aluminium foil inside of an antistatic bag, the ones that computer hardware normally comes in.

And the shuttle express/Korg nanokey thing seems like a fun idea  Smiley On my project i'm going to use a 2$ USB numpad like this one to serve as 19 "function keys":

Le_renard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2011, 12:47:39 PM »

OK... I thought that the metal plate that comes with the tablet and the wood would be enough....
Thanks !
By the way, I also have a cheap usb pad as plan b...
As I'm a musician and a geek, I have plenty of controllers of all kind lying around...
I even thought about converting a midi pedalboard so I could use my feet ^^

Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2011, 09:12:12 PM »

Hmm, maybe it's enough, my tablet didn't come with any plate at the back... But try it anyway, it might still help. And yes, it's no secret that all good artists use their feet while drawing  Wink
Le_renard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2011, 11:09:10 PM »

You were right, the wood is definitely not enough...
Some jumps and jitters occured when I plugged it all ( on the left side of the screen ).
I have tried placing a small extra metal plate there and it reduces the jumps clearly.
I'm going very slowly this time...
But I can't help drawing on this build !! It really works nicely...

I can't stop thinking about how good it must be to have a slightly bigger screen or at least a higher resolution.
But that's a good start.

Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2011, 07:37:31 AM »

Just be sure to make your design more "modular", so that it allows improving it later on with a new screen or controller etc. Finding components is the easy part, getting them to work with each other and stay in place is the hard part Wink I read somewhere that higher resolutions may cause more jitter, but that hasn't been tested well. 1024 is more than enough for a 12-15'' screen for me, i use 1024x768 on my normal desktop machine with a 19'' monitor.
Le_renard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2011, 11:33:31 PM »

I have found some extra metal plate ( from an old toy black board ) and a nice rack monitor bezel.
( a bit like this one, to make things clearer : )

The bezel is made of metal... do you think I can use it ?
The extra plate is doing good against the jitters...

Tomorrow, I plan to have wooden panel cut to measures...

Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2011, 09:31:45 PM »

That should work great as long as the metal is properly insulated from the electronics. I've seen plenty of rack synths, but never a rack monitor!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: