Bongofish
December 16, 2019, 07:15:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: La Fox Tablet build...  (Read 32789 times)
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2008, 01:47:54 PM »

Good work with the hair-dryer and the edge of the worktop there.  That's worth remembering.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Le_renard

Born to be (Oscar) Wild(e)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2008, 10:46:35 PM »

Today, I finally received the FFC cable extensions...
I plugged everything as I thought it was meant to be...
I tested it and... NOTHING BUT A WHITE SCREEN !!
Doesn't smell like somethin burnt or anything...

The screen is detected perfectly by my Mac and my laptop pc... I tried DVI and VGA port...
The computers act as if everything was ok, so I guess it must not be that terrible... is it ?
When I turn a computer on, the screen turns on and remains white (the lights are working, that's for sure !). When I switch it off, the Dell 1503 turns off...
The Menu settings of the screen isn't displayed...

Maybe did I mis-plug the ffc cables ?

EDIT :
I just tried inverting the L and R FFC cables, just to see, and as expected, nothing happened... same white screen.
Then I completely unplugged the ffc cables... same result...
I began thinking it might be something else.. so I tried playing with the board on the edges of the screen and that changed something !
Then I re-checked the FFC cables and here it is...
I'm typing using the Dell as a monitor right now.

New problem : the tablet doesn't react at all ! Damned... what have I done again ?!

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 08:18:52 AM by Le_renard » Logged

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2008, 08:18:32 PM »

It might be something as simple as the drivers, I had a problem where the drivers would just stop working on my laptop if I turned things off and on in the wrong order.

The next thing to look at would be all the tablet cabling, reseating all of them.

Otherwise (last resort) it might be a short circuit or something, check to see if anything looks like it might be crossing a couple of tracks.

Le_renard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 10:21:28 PM »

It wasn't a drivers problem, but a problem of insulation !
I thought I didn't have to use the aluminium plate of the wacom, for an unknown reason... Big mistake.
As soon as I put it back, the tablet was working again.

Then I decided to cut the definitive protective sheet. I used a 2mm transparent plastic sheet and cut it to size.
Then I used some tape to protect the screen area of the sheet and painted the rest white to match the iMac case.
Let it dry for a couple of hours.
Then I tried to glue it with some supposed hyper-strong glue called "Ni clou, ni vis" (No nails & no screws). It wasn't strong enough.
So I drilled holes in each corner of the case (front and back) and of the protective sheet.
I used some nice bolts (I had to extend them with coupling nuts because of the thickness of the case) and everything.

Then I secured the -tiq and here we go... Everything was working nicely. No jitters, nice image (but the "dead line" on the screen).
It was even looking quite good. ( I would have posted some photos, but I'm not in the mood for showing-off right now !)

I spent an hour or so tweaking the drivers to calibrate the pen (in vain I must confess...).

And suddenly... the screen turned black, and a very light steam appeared beneath the plastic sheet.
I unplugged it quickly... too late anyway.
Everything is now black for good. The "back" lights of the screen stay off...

I opened the case to see, but notice nothing except this little "blurry" trace on the protective plastic of this board...

When I plug the monitor, the 3 leds of this board (the "Power" board) are flashing alternatively. Pressing the "Power" button doesn't change anything...

No mysteries, the "Power" board is linked to the "blurry" plastic one. So I guess I toasted it, probably because of over-heating.

I'm a bit lost and disappointed to fail that stupidly !
Do you think the screen is "dead" or do you think I should try to replace the first board (if I'm lucky enough to find a spare part) and see what will happen ?

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2008, 09:20:19 PM »

Hmm that looks likely.  There are a couple of things it could be.   It might be that one of the ccfl lights has failed, this would shut down the inverter board ,    it's a self-protection thing.     It'd be worth looking at the tubes to see if they are discoloured or broken.       The haze on the plastic makes it look like the invertor has failed though.  I may have a spare somewhere, I'll have to have a look in the shed.

m0x

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2008, 09:59:08 PM »

well...just let me ask something I already didnt get in the instructions of Drews Build.

How - goddamn it ! - do I get rid of these f*ckin' little screws that are build in the back of the lcd panel, holding the metal-case together ?

All my screwdrivers failed to unscrew these very tiny ones... so let me ask how you all did it ?=)
Le_renard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 10:09:30 PM »

How - goddamn it ! - do I get rid of these f*ckin' little screws that are build in the back of the lcd panel, holding the metal-case together ?
I had to purchase a couple of good screwdrivers, the cheap ones I had weren't good enough.

Hmm that looks likely.  There are a couple of things it could be.   It might be that one of the ccfl lights has failed, this would shut down the inverter board ,    it's a self-protection thing.     It'd be worth looking at the tubes to see if they are discoloured or broken.       The haze on the plastic makes it look like the invertor has failed though.  I may have a spare somewhere, I'll have to have a look in the shed.

Thanks a lot Drew...
I think the inverter has failed... only one fo the two electronic bits seems dead, but well, I don't know...
tell me if you found something in your shed. Otherwise, there are a couple of non working 1503 on eBay that one can purchase as is...

m0x

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2008, 08:29:26 AM »

well... I thought that too...but my dads hobby is to repair watches, for which he needs very tiny screwdrivers - but these failed also (!).

But thanks to Mr. Dremel I got them unscrewed also :]
Le_renard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2008, 09:08:45 AM »

You can find inverter boards for the Dell 1503fp on various websites.
The model is "Samsung SIC251SF".

A shop is selling one for only $13, but they're only shipping to USA !
Maybe can someone living in the USA here order it for me ?

I think I have no choice but buying one to try and see...

Le_renard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2008, 12:30:39 PM »

Today is the day of the re-build phase !
After a few days of self-loathing and everything, it's time to pick up the pieces and start again.

I have a nice case, a working tablet and an (un)dead screen.
I think I must have gone too fast and forgot to insulate things proprely and secure all the parts "softly". It worked, but only for an hour or so. Now I plan to re-assemble the -tiq more slowly and carefully.

I emptied the case of all the components.

I took a fresh look at the inside of the case and saw that it needed to be cleaner and smoother than that.
So, I will start by carefully "dremeling" all the plastic bits to eliminate every rough or sharp leftovers.

In the meantime, I'm trying to find an inverter board or another 1503... Can't believe it, but well, let's call it "learning by mistakes".

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2008, 09:23:48 PM »

I have an inverter board.  PM me your address and I'll get it to you.  You can have it for the cost of the postage.

Re: the rebuild.  You have a good "proof of concept" so it's a good base to build something more robust,  That's the best way to think about it.   Grin

Le_renard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2008, 03:25:29 PM »

Thanks a lot Drew, that's so kind !
I really hope nothing else is broken...

By the way, I realized yesterday, while talking with a friend of mine (the one who helped me building the arcade cab' control panel), that my calibration problem (before the crash i mean...) was probably caused by the tablet sensor board and the screen badly aligned... does it make sense ?

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2008, 09:19:16 PM »

If they are at a slightly different angle it would cause problems yes.

Le_renard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2008, 03:08:28 PM »

Hey ! Thanks a lot Drew, the screen is working again... back to work !

EDIT : It works but I have to change one of the ccfl backlight.
One of the "tubes" was broken in two... so, just to try, I taped the two parts together, and it works... but well, it's clearly not as good as with a working one !
Does anyone has a link to a website where I could buy a replacement light ?
I checked on the various websites mentioned on the forum but am not quite sure of which model I need for my 1503fp...

After a few tests, I see that I have to find a better way to "stick" the screen really reaaly close to the protective plastic sheet...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 04:05:27 PM by Le_renard » Logged

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2008, 01:05:37 PM »

You used to be able to get them on ebay. (posting might be a problem though).    It might also be worth looking for laptop repair places. If you are armed with the model number of the panel thay ought to be able to look it up.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: