Bongofish
December 16, 2019, 06:48:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: La Fox Tablet build...  (Read 32788 times)
Le_renard

Born to be (Oscar) Wild(e)

View Profile WWW
« on: August 09, 2008, 10:22:59 PM »

Bonjour !

I'm starting a build log, hoping this project will be a success...
I don't really expect to build something special, technically or esthetically speaking...
I just hope this screen-tablet will work nicely.

The classic combination - just to be sure I will find some help at every stages of the process...
Phase 1
- Dell 1503FP (eBay 60€ including shipping from Germany)
- Intuos 1 12x12 (usb) (eBay 180€ including shipping from the USA)
- Apple Mini-DVI to DVI adapter (Fnac 25€ including shipping)
- 2x FFC Extension cables (40pin / 0.5mm pitch) + PCB Board (diy-beamer 37€ including shipping)
Phase 2
- ??

The "je ne sais quoi de different"
- iMac case (eBay 60€ including shipping)
- Logitech NuLooq (Amazon 50€ including shipping)

Cost so far : 412€

And, by the way...
- Don't know a thing about electronics !
- Using the metric system too... (hi Colinus)
- Freelance graphic designer and musician (in a great band called Sibyl Vane ^^), working on a Mac for graphic stuff, and Windows for musical ones...

Work in progress New pictures on page 3
- Finished the build, then saw my screen turning black...
- ... and realized I had to start again !

Last edit 09/01/2008 12:30pm Pictures of the case + new beginning !

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 12:34:58 PM by Le_renard » Logged

Le_renard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 10:33:25 PM »

A couple of days ago, I managed to find all I need to start this build on eBay...
I have already received the Intuos 12x12 and tested it... it works great !

A few days later, I finally made my choice and got a Dell 1503FP. The screen is on its way from Germany, but shouldn't be here before a week or so.

As I'm not very tools of any kind, I'm already wondering if I will be able to do this properly... I am a bit worried about the enclosure and how tu put eveything in such a slim box without breaking it all !
so that's where I looked at my iMac and thought that it might be nice to use an empty iMac 17" case as a "shell" for this screen-tablet.

So eBay again and a got a nice 17" iMac G5 case  for 60€ including shipping...

So, this is a quick mock-up of the project...

Any tips or suggestions ?

m0x

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 10:44:54 PM »

no Tip, no suggestion, but I'm really looking forward to this project:)
..if it works, I can be sure to build such one too, I had this idea some weeks ago also, but didnt find any broken imacs or so... and I wasnt convinced if it would really fit... Smiley

So start building soon my friend Smiley
I'd love to see such build here =)

Greets from Germany;)
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 04:15:15 PM »

Sounds like a good idea to me , if it'll fit it would be a great case.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 01:16:21 PM by Drewid » Logged

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Le_renard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 04:29:43 PM »

Did one of you guys ever included a keyboard or some input devices to control the shortcuts ?
I guess it's quite difficult to work "smoothly" without using the keyboard at all...

Maybe a very slim keyboard :

Or maybe just a simple numpad and some custom "I-can't-live-without" shortcuts ?

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 11:06:34 PM by Le_renard » Logged

Le_renard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 10:34:24 PM »

Ok... sorry to post so many useless stuff, but I guess I feel like working on this project by doing this...
I finally grab this device ... The Logitech NuLooq...

buttons and spinning wheels, etc... pre-configured for Adobe CS pack...
It's available for Windows and Mac OS.
I guess an on-screen keyboard would be useful for naming my layers, for instance.

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 01:45:47 PM »

That looks interesting.  I wonder if I can get the company to get one to try out.

unit613
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 07:18:22 PM »

Ok... sorry to post so many useless stuff, but I guess I feel like working on this project by doing this...
I finally grab this device ... The Logitech NuLooq...

buttons and spinning wheels, etc... pre-configured for Adobe CS pack...
It's available for Windows and Mac OS.
I guess an on-screen keyboard would be useful for naming my layers, for instance.

This looks promising, I dunno about a keyboard but I bet you could get one of these to fit, I wonder how much they run for.
Le_renard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 10:27:06 PM »

I got mine for 50€ including shipping...

By the way, I received the iMac case... This 17" version is just cute... cannot find other words ^^

I opened it up to look inside and see what I will have to remove and found some strange-shaped screws... I have to buy one of this screw-driver before the next step...
I think the sensor will fit, but I may find some problems with the board of the tablet...
I must confess it's smaller than I thought.

Here are some pictures.

Front panel removed (just have to remove 3 screws beneath the case and it opens easily)

The back of the case... The aluminium stand is nice and could be useful - when adjusted a little.

The front panel/bezel...

This is "locking" and securing the case. I will have to find a way to keep this function if I want my case to stay close while working !

Iä, Iä, Chtulhu fhtagn

wei803

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 07:44:21 AM »

Nice, actually using iMac casing was part of my brainstorm. But have to drop that idea as I can't find an affordable casing for sale at my place. This is surely another exciting build. Keep it coming!
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 01:37:06 PM »

Awwwww.   

Cuuuuuute.

Le_renard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 10:39:20 PM »

Grin Thank you ! May the great old ones help me stuffing it all inside this case !

I just realized my iMac has a mini-dvi output !!!     I need an adaptor, and it's not cheap at all !  Angry 25€ including shipping !)

I'm also thinking ( a little ahead, i know ^^) about the protection I should use for the lcd.  Glass or plexiglass ?
How thick should be this "layer" ?

I opened up the wacom 12x12 to see what was inside and had to face the truth : the iMac case seems to be too small !!!
3 little cms and 1/2 !!

There is still a chance for me to fix this issue : beneath the case is this edge where you can find the captured screws you have to loosen to lift the back of the iMac.
You can find an aluminium plate, with a lot of tiny holes... ( a "grille" ?)

Do you see what I mean ?

I think I may try to get rid of this "drilled plate" and let the wacom board "pop-out" of the case, giving it those required extra 3cms.

That could work, but I suppose it will look far less clean and nice. I would have to find some kind of protective "grille" like Wei used on the ports side of his build.

Hum... things are already getting too complex for me !  Grin
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 11:09:19 PM by Le_renard » Logged

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 01:47:52 PM »

The cover can be anything that's transparent really.  If it's a plastic then you can use felt nibs to stop it getting scratched.  If it's glass then it would possibly be better to get non-reflective glass.   
It can be got, cut to size, from anywhere that frames pictures.   

2-3mm is probably about the right thickness, though if plastic you could probably go a little thinner.

Le_renard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 01:02:35 AM »

I received the screen today, and start working on it after lunch.
Following your build logs, it was pretty fast. ( I had to "dremel" the usual screws, by the way )
Then I realized I needed the same FFC extension cables than Drew. I have to order them tomorrow.
I decided to extend the "backlights" cables. I used some wires lying in a corner of the room. Wrapped them with some black insulating tape.
Then I tried to turn this screen on to see if it was still working. And it did...
Except for two "lines" on the screen. I guess I did this ( can you imagine I forgot to test the screen ? )
I will post some pictures tomorrow to show you those lines...

Then I added the 12x12 board, just to see this with my own eyes... ^^
Very promising. A few jitters, and some tweaking needed to configure the "active area" of the tablet (with the Wacom drivers).

As I told in a previous post, the 17" iMac case is too small. I need to cut a part of the front panel to place the screen at the right place, and the aluminium plate I talked about, too.

This way, i think I could get a decent result. I still have to find a way to protect the board that will pop out of the case. I think I will try to bend some pvc or cheap plexi to achieve this...

I also need to find a kind of frame or something to support the screen. I mean, i can't count on the Wacom case cut like in Drew's build for instance.

Well... I think I will try to use this iMac case anyway and do something out of it. When I ruin it, I will use the Wacom case like everybody ! ^^

Some photos tomorrow !

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:50:37 AM by Le_renard » Logged

Le_renard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 09:17:55 AM »

My simtiq is looking teeribly today ! All wrapped in silver tape, the lcd protected by a half melt pvc, etc...
But, well, everything is now more or less in place. I need the ffc exntesion cables before realling going ahead.

I'm going to buy some new transparent plastic so I can tape the lcd onto it.

By the way, how did you guys manage to do it ? I mean, most of you have taped - in a way or another - the screen itself to the plastic wacom case, that's it ?
Did you place the tape all along the edges of the screen ? I don't really know how to do it...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: