Bongofish
December 11, 2018, 12:09:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A new poster has arrived!  (Read 8671 times)
MrDomino

Can't stop me

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2008, 08:17:41 AM »

Hello all!

Not much to say here, really.  I found this forum when looking for ideas on how to build a DIY cintiq.  It wasn't a long search, since this was one of the first results =].  I'm currently looking for parts.  If anyone has a 9x12 USB intuos, I may be able to take that off your hands for you =p.

My name's Jesse, but you can call me Mr. Domino, or just Domino.  I live in the USA, southern California to be exact.  As such, it's HOT over here right now.  So, so very hot.

My goal is to sim-tiq with a 15" screen, LED or woven fiber backlighting, and to have it all nice and neat in a clean looking case.  I don't need to worry about portability, since it most likely won't leave my desk.  I'm terrible at drawing, anyway: this project is partly motivation to get me to practice.  Being a college student, I'm trying to do it on the cheap.

I'm still trying to think of a name of it.  I was thinking 'CheapTiq,' but I don't know that I like it all that much.  Perhaps 'Mr. Tiq?'  It pities the foo'.

Anyway, I really hope to get started on this soon.  As soon as I get the components, I'll put up a build log.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 01:21:25 PM »

Welcome

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
MrDomino

Can't stop me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 12:12:12 AM »

Thanks Drew!

Say, how do you like your 12x12 digitizer II build?  Is the underlying technology limiting?  I mean, is that tablet too old, or does it do everything you need it to?  I'd like to do an intuos build, for the 1024 levels of pressure, but cost is a prohibitive factor.

How many levels of pressure does the GD-0912-R register, by the way?  It's an intuos 1, serial.  I can't find the info anywhere.
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 01:23:21 PM »

I think it's 256, but to be honest I can't tell the difference between the older and newer tablets. 

Thinking about it you'd have to be using a damn big brush to really tell.  Using a smallish brush, say 32 pixels, that's still 8 levels per pixel of spread if you map it to brush size.

MrDomino

Can't stop me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 09:12:36 PM »

I thought as much.  I had a graphire with 512 levels, then 'upgraded' to a bigger genius 6x8 tablet with 1024 levels.  I couldn't tell the difference.  I do know that I liked the graphire more, though.  Something about wacom tablets...they're just such a higher quality build.  Must keep searching, I suppose.
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 09:33:24 PM »

Wacom have a whole bunch of patents.  I have heard that one of their tablets had 200 seperate patents for differnt aspects of the technology.

I've used calcomp in the past and they were OK too.

MrDomino

Can't stop me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 12:41:24 AM »

The genius is okay, I suppose.  It just doesn't have the same feel as the wacom.  I honestly think it's in the drivers, and the support from third party applications with drivers other than wacom.  The genius drivers that were in the box were a joke, with false positives everywhere, jerky movement, and a simple press would register 3-4 individual clicks.  Was a real pain.  The latest drivers from the website are a bit better, but nowhere near as good as the wacom I used.
goldflakesmall
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 10:57:54 AM »

hi guyes,

this is my first post on bongofish.com
so happy to be the part of this exciting place( its like 'junk yard wars' programme that used to come on discovery channel)
i have read most of the posts and i already have made the cintiq, but unfortunately when i connected the memory card of my camera to  my pc ( to transfer the photos of the build) it got infected, and then i had to format it:(

but i will upload some new photos of the completed build and the diagrams of the components i used.

thanks to drew for starting this adventurous journey and all the members who have shared their precious research and knowledge here.

and seriously drew, you rock man!!!!

thank you so much. Wink
MrDomino

Can't stop me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 04:26:08 PM »

Junkyard wars!  That program was great.  It's too bad they never play it anymore.

It's great to have another poster around!  Just make sure you post 3 times in the 'Read this first' thread.  Looking forward to seeing your build progress!  And sorry to hear about the computer reformatting.  Some of the malware out there can be pretty brutal.
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 07:57:27 PM »

We still get the original (Scrapheap Challenge) programme that inspired Junkyard Wars.  They've just finished the tenth series, there was talk of canning it, but I hear it's been rescued.

MrDomino

Can't stop me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 03:36:33 AM »

Lucky!  I always wondered why it was cancelled.
goldflakesmall
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 01:41:10 PM »

lucky u! another program that i used to like was 'splat' but after a point of time it got very repetitive and ultimately they stopped it.
and they never came up with anything like that:(
superb program it was, i still miss it sometimes:(
MrDomino

Can't stop me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 04:21:01 PM »

Splat...that sounds vaguely familiar.  I can't for the life of me remember what it was, though.  What was it about?

EDIT: Alright, here it is, I got a name!  I formally reserve the name: "Sleeq".  If all goes as planned and I get the monitor I want, the build should be just that...sleeeeeek.  ::crosses fingers::

Oh, and a side note: I've never attempted anything on this level, ever.  Should be fun.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 08:17:49 AM by MrDomino » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 01:46:33 PM »

"Sleeq" sounds good.

fad32
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 09:19:46 PM »

hello, i'm from ukraine and very intrested in trying to make a DIY-screen-tablet, just have a COUPLE of questions:              1-why didnt anybody consider the http://vistablet.net/ 12*9 inch?
                                                                                                                                                                          2-if i try to make it with this new vistablet, will it work? (plz need some tips or suggestions)
                                                                                                                                                                          3-can i somehow use my 17inch notebook screen since it's much thiner?
                                                                                                                                                                          4-can i somehow make my notebook both a working notebook and a screen tablet?
                                                                                                                                                                               (of course i realize that the notebook would be deformed at this point, but that's not a problem.)
             my e-mail is: dope_white_trashathotmail.com     
plz email me as soon as possible.  THX

PS: i also have a 15 inch LG Flatron, and check out the vistablet at :

( http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-VisTablet-Graphic-Pen-Tablet-12-in-Graphics-Tablet_W0QQitemZ250300678303QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250300678303&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 )

pics on : http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=647.msg8722#msg8722

.::{PinK-_-MaGGiT}::.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: