test1
September 20, 2017, 06:34:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: 22" & 12x19 build! -The Exotiq  (Read 56840 times)
metapharsical

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2009, 03:58:40 AM »

Here's what you've all been waiting for!
I present to you . . .
. . .the  E X O T I Q . . .

Check out the short vid on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkt3oybYjvM

Here's how the mechanics work. It's really simple see:
At the top of the spine there are gill slits so the cables can be routed inside the spine!
From there, the first gear is bolted to the spine -and the arm pivots at that point.
(Inside the arm are two metal pieces that slide against springs to lock the gears)
At the end of the arm a gear is fastened to the steel rods that go out to the hands.
The hands hold the arches on ball bearing 'fingers'.
The arches are attached to the 'lazy suzan' rotating plate..
And finally... the tablet is bolted to the 'lazy susan'

There's always going to be more finishing touches...
I'm very glad the big things are worked out and I still have all my hair!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 08:13:08 AM by Drewid » Logged
m0x

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2009, 06:03:07 PM »

Awesome - just awesome !

I love it <3
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2009, 08:35:17 PM »

The whole lazy susan thing is fantastic.   It'll make it even more usable.

I see what you mean about the CoG.  The footboard idea is promising, it could be quite decorative as well knowing you.  Smiley

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
metapharsical

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2009, 03:30:30 AM »

So I brought the thing out to my brother's music studio and of course he wants me to make another for him !

It should take much less work on my second time through  Grin

So I already found a deal on a intous3 12x19 for $330 off craigslist, almost $100 cheaper than my first one!!!
I'm looking at monitors and I can't find the same one I used so I'm just looking around for a deal.
Dell sells a 22" IPS panel for only $209 with shipping.
Save a little on the wacom to splurge on a nice screen, seems logical to me  Undecided
It goes without saying, I'd be giving my brother the original design with the TFT panel and building a new one for myself with the IPS screen Cool
I just hope the IPS panel doesn't bring any new headaches like a super thick diffuser or terrible interference.
Doesn't the cintiq use an IPS panel?

Good thing I saved the fiberglass mold to make another case.
  Tongue

Mua ha ha ha!
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2009, 01:45:12 PM »

It'd be great as a control surface, or even an instrument.
I've used mine as a theremin before now.

Grin

metapharsical

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2009, 05:01:16 AM »

Ok, here's my little update:
Two more short youtube videos uped.
I warn you, my speed drawing REALLY sucks!
I need a camera that records for more than 30 seconds Smiley

Dropped off the vertebrae pieces at local plating shop to be chrome-plated   $70usd which is a lot less than I expected  Cheesy

I got the Dell 22" e-IPS monitor and disassembled it.
Pros:
  • No JITTER!
  • FFCs seem plenty long enough
  • 4 USB ports
  • Great viewing angles!
Cons:
  • ***No Backlight Slab!*** There's just a 1" deep box that contains the CCFLs behind the screen.  This will not do!
  • Power and Video boards are on the same PCB, this sucks but this doesn't seem to be causing any interference

So what I did is found a broken 22" LCD on ebay and bought that for $5+$15 shipping.
I Disassembled that monitor, and I will use its backlight slab with the IPS panel. Problem solved  Cool
I'm really stoked that this monitor is not causing interference, as my original build has its problem spots along the edges.
I'm not excited about building another case, working with fiberglass is an art I have not perfected...

For finishing the original stand-
I Have a design in mind for the heel plate embellishment, an 'eyeball' where the spine meets the heel plate.
Also if you look close, you can see how the 'hands' that hold the arches can be reversed to move the weight of the tablet further back.

liquid-flame shapes drip down the front :

I'm making the eyeball out of one of those shiny globes you see in people's yards.  Cut in half, and cut a whole for the spine to go through.

Ok, I should really stop this insane build!
I'm just thinking I want it to look really nice and then maybe I could lease it out to art studios that want to impress their clientele or maybe one of my friends who writes electronic music could use it as a control surface for live performances.
But maybe I just dream too much...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 05:06:55 AM by metapharsical » Logged
Gem

May your pencils stay sharp and your lines true

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2009, 06:04:15 PM »

Very cool, I'm always fascinated by fabrication processes!
metapharsical

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2009, 10:20:17 PM »

Cool that you appreciate it, since my build log has mostly been my one-sided musings on my design.  No disregard intended to those who don't have a metal shop at their disposal.

I could post some pics of the machines at work and processes that I use if that's anyone's wish.

I'm starting to get offers from people to buy my creation.
Strangely, there's one person who hasn't asked me to make/sell them one...
I sorta got the attention of this well renowned comic artist/producer and we've been dating for a few weeks now   Cool
She could put this thing to way better use than I ever could...
She does amazing work, but she has very little interest in using a cintiq.  If she does however, she can pry my exotiq from my cold dead hands!     Grin  Grin  Grin
Gem

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2009, 05:05:40 AM »

OH REARY?  Hmmm...Sarah Morean?  Taki Soma?  Barbara Schulz?

Sorry fer being nosy Grin
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 05:10:16 AM by Gem » Logged
metapharsical

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2009, 12:40:10 AM »

Well, I exaggerate, she's more of an up-and-coming artist Wink  She's still working a day job...  Her name is Amber Greenlee, goes by the name Glych
I'd actually be surprised if you've heard of her off hand.  But she works a lot and has her hands in everything from puppeteering and special effects to art pre-production on the web and in print.
Which hardly leaves time for me :/   But when we do get time together, it's very exciting talking to her about her exploits.
You can check out her deviant art page under 'Glych', or Youtube the show she does pupeteering/voices for: Transylvania Television

It's safe to say, once she finishes her degree next year she'll be off to LA or some such happening-place and I'll be back to my ho-hum engineering lifestyle.  C'est la vie !

That's fine though, 'cause if I chased her crazy-ass around the country I'd wouldn't get to keep doing lovely stuff like:

« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 12:51:58 AM by metapharsical » Logged
Gem

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2009, 01:35:56 AM »

Looks good with the chrome, I was going to protest when you mentioned keeping the rust but I forgot  Roll Eyes  (Im a bit of a quality nut)

Anyhow, always cool to have an artist as a significant other!  I was asking because Im in my last year of working towards BFA in sequential arts, and telling us you are dating one peaked my curiosity Cheesy  So, is yer woman an MCAD student? 
metapharsical

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2009, 03:58:25 AM »

Yep, it's her senior year at MCAD.  Fortunately she's not the pretentious-art-snob type, she works tooth-and-nail in the business.  She decided she needed the degree so she could take it to the next level.
I've gotta say, it's weird, it's the first time dating someone that I can honestly say I admire what they're doing with their life.
She knows her business well and has an impeccable work ethic.  I didn't know what ambition was before I met this girl!
ok, I'll shut up now  Cheesy

Best of luck in your 'comical' adventures ! 
But most of all, work your ass off !   Cheesy
Gem

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2009, 07:07:26 AM »

nice nice!  Sounds like fun  Grin  Yea, Im in a similar situation.  GF is a photographer, always traveling while I sit here in my little room sculpting and drawing all day  Cool

So, you planin' on doing a new model with an adjustable height?  It almost looks like it should be bendy!
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2009, 09:29:26 PM »

OOooo. Shiny.

metapharsical

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2009, 05:18:54 AM »

Drew:
Yes, very shiny my precious!

See, I wanted to make something that is its own trophy  Wink

Gem:
The arm allows plenty of height adjustment... Do you mean artistically that it looks like it could possibly bend and come to life and start cavorting about my room?
In which case, yes, it does "look like it should be bendy"   Grin

Seriously though, there's no way I would want to make a mechanism that could be bendy like that and support the weight out on the end. Way too much trouble.  I achieved a very dynamic appearance with the curves and the chrome.  It's just a shame it's all hidden from my view by the enormous tablet  Cry
Such as it is, I would definitely want to see this thing on a music stage lit up all cool.  WITH LASERS , YES! LOTS OF LASERS
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: