Bongofish
December 11, 2018, 12:12:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 out of the way, onto the details of my journey for a diy-tiq  (Read 6667 times)
MasterMacNikon

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2008, 10:34:27 AM »

I have been browsing these fourms and site for some time now, and have finally gotten the scratch together to find a 9 x 12 Wacom--thanks eBay--to start this attempt. I already have a 6 x 8 that I normally use, but as it has been said many times here, paraphrasing: bigger is better and being able to see what you are working on is best. he Smiley !

Ok. When I found this site, I was beginning to suspect that it would fade out due to the fact that there weren't any updates for some time. But I am glad to see the forums keeping the DIY spirit alive. It has kept mine high.
So a thank you to everyone on this forum.  Grin

What I want to start out with is the ingredients that I have/will have to start off this project:
First is a KDSusa 17 inch LCD monitor that I got as a gift; from my best friend when he upgraded to a second 20 inch ADC for his system. But I digress.
Second is the Wacom Intuos 9 x 12 that I just bought over eBay from a recycling service in IL. Yay eBay. Got it for a steal: $90.  Shocked  Grin

From here is the waiting game for the Wacom to arrive and to do some research on the monitor. Off to the other forum topics!

Cool

...and I have not yet thought of a cool name for this build. Hmmmm.

Fundamental laws of the universe
•   If it's bad, it's possible.
•   Procrastination is the only thing guaranteed to get done.
•   The probability of being watched is proportional to the stupidity of what you're doing.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 09:36:51 PM »

Hello and welcome.

Yeah we do have a quiet patch every now and then.  Partly I think because the builds are relatively quick, so either succeed or blow too many monitors for comfort, fairly quickly.

Sounds like you've made a promising start there.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
MasterMacNikon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 09:45:14 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement.

The waiting game for the tablet is almost too much. rrrr  Angry   Wink

•   The probability of being watched is proportional to the stupidity of what you're doing.
MasterMacNikon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 03:56:02 AM »

Embarrassed

Just hit a brick wall.

My new tablet does not have a mouse. I knew that going in, but I thought my Intous 1 pen would work.
BUZZZZZ! WRONG.

damn.

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 07:52:54 PM »

What model tablet is it?

MasterMacNikon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 02:57:13 AM »

Ok, D'OH!

I said it didn't come with a mouse, I should have said it didn't come with a pen. {facepalm} sigh.

Ok.

Drewid, it's a Intuos2 - SC-0912-U.

I am not going to try to get my hopes up now...  Wink  Grin

MasterMacNikon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 10:09:11 AM »

> . >

< . <

^.^

Yes, I am still alive. I just ordered my new pen from ebay. Should get here next week. The sacrifice for free shipping.

Oh and when I get this, I will be posting on Geeks.com to get some serious exposure. Drewid, I hope you are ready for some traffic at the end of March.... Grin

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 03:31:25 PM »

I do hope so. I have some plans and someone to give me a hand with the planned revamp...

dacapo
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 12:49:43 AM »

How are you able to integrate a 9x12 tablet into a larger 20xsomething monitor? Wouldn't there be an area where the pen and tablet wouldn't work on the display?
MasterMacNikon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 09:27:08 AM »

To give an update, I got the pen, it works with the tablet Yay! But I am at another wall again. So I will not have this going as fast as I thought. Sorry to get hopes up. I know my feelings are hurt a bit now.

I have stripped the LCD down to the essentials. I have pix, but have not had a chance to get them hosted just yet. I have pressing matters drawing my attention at the moment. So I will do what I can to feed the need.

As it stands, I thought I might be able to get away with using the mounting that is built into the LCD, but I have determined that it will not fly.

Also, the connection between the horizontal and vertical boards is an interesting connection. The horizontal board has a soldered connection, where the vertical has a socketed one. Again, pix will clarify. Soon.

Overall, the good news is that I might be able to use the back as is and just suplant it onto the back of the tablet as is.

More when I get pix up.

MasterMacNikon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 09:29:49 AM »

How are you able to integrate a 9x12 tablet into a larger 20xsomething monitor? Wouldn't there be an area where the pen and tablet wouldn't work on the display?

Not sure where this came from. The 9 x 12 fits beautifully onto a 15" LCD. Which is what I am working with.

And yes, it would have that effect. You cannot "stretch" the sensitivity of the tablet board. Otherwise we would all be able to get away with a 4 x 5 board and use 30" monitors for everything. [wouldn't that be nice!]

MasterMacNikon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 01:10:11 AM »

I have been away for a few important reasons.

1 - I have had my electricity cut off and restored just recently. So my funds are drained beyond reason. (I had to ring out my 401k with a hardship withdrawal to make it work.)

2 - My Mom has been in the hospital, with return trips, over the past 7 months. She has undergone a physical transformation that has shaken me to the core. Sepsis combined with achalasia is a mean bastard to live through. I am spending more time with her now.

3 - After everything, I am having a change of heart on working on this mod. I need some time to recover from everything, but I just might pick this up again.
 Huh  Smiley

Oh and I was able to get a pen. But onto the recovery.  Cool

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 04:21:29 PM »

Hseesh, sorry to hear about the bad stuff.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: