Bongofish
December 06, 2019, 04:45:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Total Newbie Question  (Read 8050 times)
Galon
New Poster

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2007, 09:20:28 PM »

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if this is it all possible without opening up and dismantling the Wacom? I have an Intuos 3 A4 that I'd rather not open up just yet since it's still in warranty.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 11:18:06 PM »

Hello Galen, welcome to the forum.

Interesting idea. 
It depend on the thickness of the screen and backlight. on mine the screen+backlight+acyrlic cover are the same height that the tablet surface used to come to. If that sandwich is thin enough it might work.

Perhaps if SchwarzerPrinz's experiments with EL film work out,  or if you can find a thinner backlight, perhaps from a laptop screen.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
FritzFantom
New Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 05:43:52 PM »

instead of putting the lighting behind the screen, you could try to light it up from the side - like here

(i wanna do this in my tablet Wink)
robcat2075

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 07:12:16 PM »

you could try to light it up from the side - like here
(i wanna do this in my tablet Wink)

Hey, that guy looks like he's almost got the LED thing figured out.  Lots of good ideas there, except for the superglue.

Robert Holmén
------
The Robcat View
FritzFantom
New Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 08:12:09 PM »

Hey, that guy looks like he's almost got the LED thing figured out.  Lots of good ideas there, except for the superglue.

yes, that and he did not use any resistors to limit the current... Shocked
but the idea is simple and it seems to work well - but you also have to be aware of use to much ultra-bright LEDs (that would cause a too bright screen where you can't see anything Cheesy)
dmoser
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 03:21:09 PM »

Hi.  I would like to try the same thing Galen suggested.  I'm curious to know how much space will be lost by not taking apart the tablet.

Galen, have you tried the paper test on your Intuos3 A4 tablet?

Drewid, the paper test on your tablet showed 9mm of space before working on the project.  What is the result of a paper test after completing the DIY Cintiq?

Thanks.
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 03:38:16 PM »

Hi Dmoser.  I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Another alternative might be to see if you can find a MOBI monitor like this one  http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=166.15  which uses an EL film backlight.  so the film + screen + cover ought to be <5mm thick.

robcat2075

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 09:29:08 PM »

My own test with putting the backlight slab on the un-stripped tablet showed the backlight slab was too thick for the pen to be reliably tracked.

Robert Holmén
------
The Robcat View
Dom
New Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 02:11:10 PM »

I was thinking of it two, too bad it is not possible... Undecided
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 09:50:33 PM »

Oh it would be possible.  Either replace the whole backlight with a piece of EL film, or find a MOBI monitor that uses it.   The backlight would then be as thin as a piece of paper.

OR someone used a projector to throw the image directly onto the tablet surface.

kima87
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 08:42:49 AM »

Well, for now I want to post my newbie question on here as well...
I own a Wacom Bamboo Fun, and doing something with that. I was researching some LCDs around that size... and i'm not coming up with anything... and if anyone would even try attempting something like that on it, because it is a low end wacom. Yes, no? I'm a poor college kid, i just wanted to try something a little cheaper with the same results.
Geo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 02:35:22 PM »

The problem is wiht the size of the tablet not because its low end I'm not sure if you have the small or med size but Im guessing you would need a 7" inch screen that is pretty small. but you might be able to buy an in car tv screen or even mod an old ps1 screen and make it work but color might be a problem. Some people like fl0 have used small tablets on 15" screens and just maped it to a small part of the screen but again its a bit usless since you still need a mouse to use the rest of the screen.
kima87
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 09:44:34 PM »

i measured the diagonal on my fun tablet, and it came out to 10.5", i'm just not sure if there's a "widescreen" tablet, and a regular one... i've found some LCD's around it's size, (laptop lcd's would that be ok?), and they're looking pretty good. hmmmmmmmmmm...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 09:49:09 PM by kima87 » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 10:20:49 PM »

Laptop screens run from an LVDS signal, so to use one as a standard monitor you need a board to convert the DVI/VGA signal into LVDS.

Prices for these is very variable depending on which panel you want to drive, and the board may have to be programmed a bit too.

The advantages are usually a slimmer screen, often with good resolution.

So not a definite yes or no, but do the research. 

Geo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 10:36:36 PM »

They have 10.4" flat screens for like cars and stuff you could try one of them they are pretty cheap on ebay and then you dont need the whole laptop LVCD thing. But I never looked inside a smal flat screen so could be all shielding....
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: