Bongofish
November 14, 2019, 05:25:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: has anyone used these  (Read 6548 times)
seojea
New Poster

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2008, 10:38:04 PM »

I was wondering is these would work for an lcd backlight

http://www.oznium.com/led-ribbon
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 08:27:19 PM »

Interesting product.  I suspect the LEDs are rather far apart, but then you can get light diffusing strips to break up the loght blobs.    Maybe they do samples?

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
ward1e
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 05:12:06 PM »

Hi,

I wanted to post my own thread but I don't think I can because I'm a new member here.

I have spotted Apple MacBook Pro LED backlight screen LCD replacements on eBay in the UK and I was wondering if anybody had attempted to use one of these to make their own wacom tablet screen as they are LED back lit, have an impressive resolution of WXGA+ 1440x900 pixels, and are only £120 new on ebay at the moment. These are possibly similar screens to those used in the modbook (macbook pro apple tablet modification http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook).

Does anybody know the peculiarities of making a powersupply and dvi/vga connector from one of these for an input from a desktop pc and whether or not it is easily made to work with a similar sized wacom tablet before I splash out and buy myself one.

Thanks

Ben
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 12:02:00 AM »

You need to make three reply posts before you can start a new thread. 

It stops the spambots.

Not sure about the power supply, but LVDS cards can be had either on ebay or elsewhere.  You'd have to be able to give panel make and model, so the supplier can match them up.  The price can be really variable between panels, but it would certainly be worth investigating.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
tuszi
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 11:16:11 AM »

Im curious if anybody had tryed a "led monitor" such as the   BenQ G922HDL  ? There are variations... but they are relatively cheap bought new and the lack of ccfl s and the accompanying inverters soud good to me. However im not really clear on how these backlights work. Are they just an array of leds in place of the ccfl s or are they directly behind the panel? And if the later, do they shield the pen useless? Huh

I used to think im wierd, then i met someone from Earth.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 06:57:04 PM »

there are two ways:  side leds (a bit like the CCFL we often see) -- or as an array of leds in the back -- but I think these "arrays" cost more so they try to avoid it.
tuszi
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 07:46:54 PM »

Thx! I tought so. Smiley  Now main problem remains however, namely the panel itself, which was the cause of jitter last time... Anyway, i decided now that i risk some cash and buy one new (BenQ G922HDL). Take it apart the day i can lay my hands on it, then i report back how it went... Grin After all if i manage not to completly ruin it, it will be a nice enough display for family use Roll Eyes  Or an expensive backlight slab with leds in worst case Cheesy

tuszi
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 07:39:14 PM »

Ok, so as i promised, i report in abaut the "led monitor".
So i recieved the monitor and managed to take it apart. Now to the deal: it has a (single) backlight formed from 84 smd led placed linearly on a slim circuit board. This backlight is really tiny, i almost missed it since it is glued to the back shielding of the panel. (It has a dimension like 2x4x300 mm.) Now the backlight slab is something intresting too: It is a ~3mm thick engraved plastick sheet with white paper glued to the edges, except the edge with the leds.
The panel seems to have some jitter around the edges.

Conclusion: LED moitors may have a big future in wacom modding, Well if i can pry the led board off the metal plate that is Cheesy

Im going to write this in a more detailed manner in a build log, when i can figure out a name for the beast. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 07:49:23 PM by tuszi » Logged

threedprof
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 01:00:08 AM »

this is excellent, tuszi.  Anyway for you to post pics of this backlight w/diffusers from several angles, please?
jasiu
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 11:25:29 PM »

And where are the photos? ;P Nice job Tuszi! We are hoping to see Your results soon!

Cheers!
tuszi
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »

Actually the display part of the thing is already assembled (and it was a pain to allign) , so im going to go trough the pics i already taken and hope it helps.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: