Bongofish
December 10, 2019, 09:08:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I use 30pin connector for 20pin extension ?  (Read 7426 times)
Rikart
New Poster

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2009, 11:27:09 PM »

I started my build quite a while ago. and the only thing holding me from getting to draw with it, is a 20pin .5 pitch pcb connector. Because I can't find one to buy anywhere, DIY-Beamer is out of stock on them.
I was wondering wether it's possible to use a 30 pin connector to extend the 20pin cable?

Much thanks in advance.

Rik
Rikart
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 03:22:15 PM »

I did some more searching and found that Farnell website.

If I were to extend my 20pin cable, would this be the correct connector bit?
http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/2000p-20g-220-01/header-0-5mm-3-5mm-20way/dp/1661158

Please somebody tell me it is so I can go buy it :O
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 03:25:13 AM »

I did not follow your story (maybe I should of before posting) - I would assume you are a "newbie" in smt electronics - so bare with me if I describe stuff that you already know.

I do not know which connector you are talking about exactly (you mentioned a "pcb connector" -- to me a pcb connector is like a PCI or (E)ISA card connector -- (that is a connector constructed by putting pads onto the edge of a pcb) -- your image does not seem to fit my description. But it does resemble a few connectors I have seen inside laptops. In any case this does not look like a FFC connector (for which you were asking in another post).  Another thing to be careful is the pad configuration.  I mean even if you find a proper connector that fits your cable, it may not have the same "pads" -- i.e. the pads may not align on the pcb the same way (maybe the distance (pitch) between the pads is okay but maybe the pads are placed further away from the center or whatever.

If you could send more images of what your are trying to "match" we might be able to help you out.  I can look at my mini junk yard and maybe find the same connector that I could send if you want.

Installing those surface mount connectors is not the easiest thing to do BTW -- although there are a few tricks out there to do that. In all cases, "flux" is your friend. Also a multimeter to test the connections is not luxury -- Magnifying glass is also cool to check those small pitch connections defects -- in any case, the more light you have, the sharper details your eyes will distinguish.  You could actually use a digital camera in macro mode (the little flower symbol) to take a shot and zooming in with your PC to see more details.

One alternative is to solder directly.  Using mini wires (the easiest to find are the "wire-wrap" type) and solder your cable directly by using separate small "jumper" wires - one by one. No connector required. You have to be sure of the connector configuration -- which signal goes onto which "pad" on the pcb. Make some construction to solidify your cable so no stress is applied to the soldering.  Btw, the pads are fragile and too much heat (or too long a heat) will make the pad detach from the pcb.  Not an easy ride, "20 pins" is a long count for this type of journey.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 03:28:56 AM »

Is your connector look like that one?  http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1474.msg9511
Rikart
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 09:48:12 AM »

Nope it doesn't.

the "pcb connector" (as they call it at Diy-beamer.com) I need looks like this:

I can't find them anywhere, not on the site of diy-beamer (not in stock), and I guess my search terms are wrong, cause I can't find them at other suppliers either.
So I went looking for other kinds of "pcb connectors" which I thought to have found at farnell.com, but it seems not Tongue.

Thanks for the help Smiley
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 12:01:22 PM »

Ahh. there's a post in my spam folder that might be yours.

I stuck it here ->
http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1497.0

You can also use the lumenlab solution which is to use a board connector to clamp the cable ends together.  Not a big fan of it as a solution myself, but would work in a fix.
http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4503
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 12:04:10 PM by Drewid » Logged

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Rikart
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 12:35:55 PM »

huh?

I thought I sent a personal message to Geo, how did you get a hold of that Tongue?

And about the Lumenlab solution, I'd give it a try, but I have no idea what product to buy exactly, as there are so many bits and pieces that look like eachother :<.

Is it perhaps called a zif connector?

Oh and my question still remains:
Is it possible to use a 30 pin version of the connector in the image above, to extend the 20pin ffc ?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 12:43:40 PM by Rikart » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 03:39:35 PM »

For the 30pin connector, I do not know but I would imagine it might work.  Not sure if the "side" of the connector needs to be clamped.  If you have one, try it out!  Aligning might be a problem. 

ZIF is for Zero Insertion Force -- these are the ones with a little clamp (there are a few mechanical variants).  Some FFC connectors are not ZIF and uses simple friction. (not as strong)

The connector name is "FFC connector" or "FPC connector"  and you most likely want the "ZIF" types.
Rikart
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 10:49:12 PM »

Thanks for all the info.

I ordered a 30pin connector, it isn't a lot of money, and I don't mind taking the gamble for the reduced risk of damaging any parts.

I'll keep you guys up to date when I get my projects rolling again Smiley
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 11:38:01 PM »

Few thoughts:

It might be easier to have a 30 pin ffc cable and remove 10 connections halfway into the wire so it becomes a 20 pins(?)
 -- so at least, on one end, it is a 30 pin cable connected to a 30 pin connector. That was just a random thought because I am not even sure if it is easy to strip off wires from FFC cables. I know it works well with IDC cables for example.

Just though of something else:  To help insert your 20 pin into a 30 pin connector (in case it is difficult to align stuff), maybe you could "fake" the extra 10 pins? -- by adding something that would help "guide" the FFC wire.  Like a piece of plastic, a short piece of scrapped FFC cable or anything with roughly the same height and "relatively" rigid. Could be "taped" on the cable.
Rikart
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 12:13:48 PM »

Yeah I have some other 40 pins I had to replace with longer ones laying around. I was thinking of cutting some of thosee off to fill up the remaining space.

But yeah it'll only be neccessary if it's difficult to line the things up Smiley
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 08:47:30 PM »

Good idea about the "Padding" .   You might want to tape it down as well, or even superglue or hot glue it once it's all tested and working. I imagine it might be prone to slippage.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: