Bongofish
November 15, 2019, 10:14:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with finding out what I need.  (Read 6695 times)
brandon
New Poster

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2009, 05:48:22 PM »

Right now I have an old laptop that essentially stripped of everything, but the LCD was left and I got this all for free. So I figured I would try and use it for a project in either creating a second monitor or possibly a tablet with a screen. Right now I am kind of at a loss as I have no idea what type of board I need for this LCD. After Googling for a few days and asking friends I haven't really come up with much so I decided to sign up in the forums and ask here. Its a 15" Samsung LCD that came from an old Compaq and it still has it's inverter board etc. What I need to know is what type of board I need and then figure out which one works with the LCD I have.

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 06:28:01 PM »

This is called a "lcd panel" -- What is the precise model of your LCD Panel?

I am in a similar situation and ordered a LCD monitor kit (LVDS driver, powersupply, CCFL inverter, OSD buttons) from a chinese guy.  Look at my posts for more info.  I haven't got the board so I can't comment on it at this moment.
brandon
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 06:51:51 PM »

I'm not entirely sure what the actual model number is. It has so many numbers all over the place that I've yet to determine what is what. I will list a few numbers just to be on the safe side. LTN150XB-L03, 150XB-L01-00R5, 150XB-5L. There are some more numbers throughout so if any of these are not the number, I still have more left to list.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 07:09:31 PM by brandon » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 08:41:55 PM »

That's the one ->   LTN150XB-L03

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
brandon
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 10:12:47 PM »

That's the one ->   LTN150XB-L03

Thanks, it was confusing figuring out which one was the actual number. So what type of board should I be searching for? I say "board" as I don't know the actual name of what I am looking for so it makes things harder.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 10:04:25 PM »

You can look at my posts (or other people posts).

Both options I know are from china. I ordered one to drive my laptop lcd panel but didn't get it yet so I can't say if they work or what.

They tend to call this a "LCD monitor kit" -- because it includes everything to create a monitor out of your LCD Panel - power supply, buttons for the OSD (OnScreenDisplay), inverter, LVDS driver, RGB and/or DVI input.

Option 1:
" Luly " which is the cheapest option in my opinion. She sells a board with RGB input that can drive a few panels out there. Send her an email with your panel brand (Samsung) and that model number (LTxxx) - to see if would work. Her ebay store: http://stores.shop.ebay.ca/Professional-inverter__W0QQ_armrsZ1   

Option 2:
'Chen' which has higher quality stuff and more choices. He is the guy behind a couple of DIY projectors sites. Again, email him and send your model number. he has a hotmail address look for chen in this forum.

Here's the datasheet for your panel: http://beyondinfinite.com/lcd/Library/Samsung/LTN150XB-L03.PDF

It is a 15.0 inches TFT lcd - 1024x768 resolution - 6bit colors - 1 channel LVDS.   
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 05:15:11 AM by bernard » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 10:27:50 PM »

Another note, carefully watch your options - the prices of those things -- and also watch prices of LCD monitors -- you might get a better deal off buying a used (or even new!) monitor.  Account for shipping charges, etc.

This panel resemble mine a great deal mechanically. The big strip of cable at the back is not an FFC (soldering might be needed to connect stuff) and there is some electronics at the top that can potentially be problematic for the jitter problem. Normally you would want to move that behind the Wacom sensor board. I did not touch mine yet since I have not received my driver board - to test the panel before dismantling it. And given that large "Warning, do not touch" label at the top, it will be tricky playing in that area for sure.

What I am trying to say here: There is no guarantee that this will be successful. You may easily spend more than 100$+ on various stuff and gain nothing in the end.
brandon
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 03:42:28 AM »

I'm not entirely understanding you. I'm not sure what you mean by FCC and why would I need soldering? Also, on a side note I might not reply for a while as my computer is really messed up and crashing etc. I will probably continue fixing it.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 04:34:47 AM »

"FFC" (Flat Flex[ible] Cable) -- a type of cable that is used to interconnect stuff inside electronic devices. People often talk about those in this forum. They are often used to connect LCD panels (but not always).  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Flex_Cable

Soldering: I believe the connectors from the lcd monitor kit is of type FFC -- like many lcd panels.  There is a chance that this samsung one does not use an FFC connector -- so soldering might be required if no adapter exists. I mean solder each wire individually. Since your panel is 1 channel LVDS, your number connections is less -- only need to connect about 17 wires (normally it is ~30 for 2 channel LVDS).

BTW, you can ask the lcd monitor kit vendor what you would need to make it happen, is it as simple as plug-n-play? Also ask about the inverter -- there is also a connector in there.

Hope that helps,
good luck with your machine.  Tongue

brandon
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 03:54:21 AM »

I still don't have a ton of time for this yet, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any other places to get stuff from and if possible I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me an example of what would work with what I have.
brandon
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 12:31:15 AM »

Well I'm dropping in real quick since I have some time. Still no luck and the sites suggested never replied back to me so I'm at a loss here. Can anyone else help? I need a board that will convert the signal into either vga or dvi (preferably dvi) and also one to power the LCD panel.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 12:34:31 AM »

AFAIK, Chen replies always -- unless he is "away" like for vacation or other means.
As for Luly, I never heard bad things about her not replying.

Did you send them an email directly?  you can find the email looking at other threads.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 05:15:50 AM by bernard » Logged
brandon
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 12:45:30 AM »

No, I sent one through the site as I couldn't find an actual one on there. Thats probably why. If you could post that info it would be great so I don't have to spend a long time browsing the forums for it.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 01:37:36 AM »

Ok, busy guy, I'll do the search for you Tongue ...

Follow the thread about Possible cheap lvds controller supplier -- that's in the  Useful links section.

brandon
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 01:49:43 AM »

Thanks, I sent an email to him and hope to get a reply soon.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: