Bongofish
December 11, 2018, 12:11:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: And along comes Patrick  (Read 3397 times)
Patterick

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2009, 11:54:48 PM »

Hi there!
Germany speaking here! After picking up my Hobby of sketching again, I wanted to add some extra into it. Get better, evolve. So I sought out the internet in a first attempt to find me some cool touch monitors I could use for that. Sadly it took me about 2-3 days of research to figure that I could not use a standard touchscreen Monitor Sad !

So I went further into the topic to realize that the cheapest Tablet Monitor I could buy was around 800€. Pretty depressing! While surfing the internet I eventually found the Bongofish page and thought, AWESOME!

I claim myself to be a skilled person with tools (Just impatient sometimes) but I have never worked on something this complex. So yeh, I take thy challenge!

Any kind of tip about what kind of tool-set I could buy and use would be helpful Smiley And the best would be if that store was in or would ship to Germany!

Patrick
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 05:17:35 PM »

Hi Patterick, welcome to the forums.

The best place to look if you are unsure is the successful builds section.  You can look through and find a build that is easy for you to copy. Here.    One of the "canvas" builds makes the case very easy.
Like this.

Really useful stuff:

A disposable scapel
A Dremel type hand tool
Various sizes of screwdrivers including some small jewellers screwdrivers for the really small screws.
You might need a fine toothed file for finishing off some edges.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Patterick

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 08:20:58 PM »

Thank you for your tips, the Build log you send me is really detailled and I like it.

Sadly my first big chance for an inexpensive Intous slipped away. Had my hopes up because the Seller in Ebay enlisted it as a Wacon intous (Two spelling mistakes!). I thought I might have been one of the very few who spotted it but sadly it still went up to 251€, which is out of my pricerange since its an experiment ^^

Is Wacom the only tablet kind you can use? Would a http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=15358 work too? They are a lot cheaper, but I don't know if they could sense the pen 1cm or sliglty more above the surface...

I'll see to get my hands on a Wacom asap. Hopefully I'll get one soon, I'm really anxious to do this Cheesy

Edit:  I just bought thi Aiptek https://www.aiptekshop.de/product_info.php?cPath=169&products_id=1030&osCsid=004d7d4941a11fffbdc767233f2a1ca8
to see if it will work too. Not so expensive but still pretty big, so I thought I could give it a try. (You may have to click that link twice, sometimes a login page shows up on first try)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 10:04:47 PM by Patterick » Logged
Patterick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:45:25 AM »

After "years" of waiting for my FFC (still not here) my motivation broke down a little.
Also I tested that the Aiptek 12000U has a locating reach far enough above the monitor (Could only test with the monitor not turned on due to the lacking of a FFC cable) but it wouldn't recognize the clicking of the Pen anymore.
So my first try is officially dead and I will have to wait for nice Intuos to come along for a student-friendly price.
Its probably going to take somewhat after Christmas, where I hope to snatch a Wacom from a snubby kid who didn't like it as a present Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 10:03:35 AM by Patterick » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: