Bongofish
November 22, 2019, 06:25:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some help with calibration,jitters,case ideas and cables  (Read 4367 times)
xguy
New Poster

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2009, 07:24:48 AM »

Hi all,
I have a 12x19 intuos 3 that i got pretty cheap and a samsung syncmaster 2232bw that I'm trying to get to play nice. The monitor has an internal power supply

and i was wondering if i could extend either the cable next to the ffc cable or if i could extend the backlight cable.

Next
This is where i am right now in my adventure:

There is very little jitter going on but right now the power supply is beside the intuos and the mouse pointer is offset when i go in any direction by about 1/2 an inch towards the center except when i am in the center of the screen. How can i calibrate to get it a bit more accurate?
Where do you guys normally start when shielding? The lcd controller? The power supply?
I plan to put the power supply in its own shielded box on the back of the case but i don't want to damage the intuos case or the monitor case, any ideas on cases for such a large project?
Funny thing is the jitter is worse when i first turn everything on but lessens as it all stays on over time, least jittery in the center, most jittery at the top and bottom.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 04:12:12 AM by xguy » Logged
Drew Baker
New Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 04:58:05 AM »

For calibration (in theory, I've not built one myself):

In the Wacom Tablet Properties click on "About" then click "Diagnose...". With that window up move your stylus to the corners of your screen, and make note of the X Data and Y Data. Try to square your screen to the tablet, so the top, bottom, left, and right edges are all consistent.

Close the diagnostics window and go to your pen's mapping tab. Select Screen Area: Full and Tablet Area: Portion. That will pop up a window to define the tablet area. You can use the second or third options -- Select Area with Tool or Enter Coordinates -- to define the tablet area under your screen as the area you want to use.

Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 07:34:08 PM »

Usually the first thing to shield are the panels attached to the LCD itself.  Those have proven to be the worst culprits. 
Also there might be issues with the metal shielding around the striplights.   Those are incredibly fragile, so it might be worth sourcing spares before you attempt to strip them out,  being bigger will be worse as well.
Interesting that it wears off,  it might be down to the power supply changing characteristics as it heats up.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
xguy
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 01:15:03 AM »

Thanks Drew Baker, and Drewid, once i cut down the jitter with one layer of plastic then one of foil then blue tape on the circuit board on top of the lcd. lt cut the jitter considerably and i was able to calibrate decently.
it went from jitter all over to no jitter in the center but only at the sides.
Once again though as the units were on for awhile jitter diminished on the right side were the power supply was to almost non existent.
There are these little brown ribbons not connected to anything on the left side of the lcd could they be generating interference?
I nearly shorted out my lcd too because i tried to shield the power supply with foil and plastic. The plastic shifted and the screen went dark...then i smelled burning!
so i plugged everything out, took away the shielding and plugged it all back in, to my surprise it was still working!
that scared the crap outta me.
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 11:44:17 AM »

Oops.  Good job you still have your eyebrows there Smiley.

Stray cables of any kind can pick up interference, if you're absolutely certain they are in use then you could remove them.

Are you going to do a build log ?

xguy
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 05:22:05 AM »

just to be sure i gonna post a picture of those cables.
Yes i'm gonna do a build log as soon as i work out what to put it in and how to go about it.
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 02:50:15 PM »

Smiley

metapharsical

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 05:04:51 AM »

Hey Guy, I hope you don't give up on this build!  I know it can be daunting working on the jitter and trying to fit a case for this beast...
I'm surprised I never zapped myself; considering I was puttering around with my build for so long with unshielded live wires hanging perilously close to grounds and such conditions of perpetual disrepair.
What I would suggest as far as the case is to build a box in two halves out of sheets of plastic
This is one source I found:
http://www.designpoetry.com/cgi/search.pl?S=sheet&C=61792
I've also had luck on ebay.  I believe ABS or Polycarbonate is gonna be strongest, correct me if I"m wrong.  And I'd get something between 1/8" to 3/16" thick, I wouldn't think you'd wanna build it out of anything thicker as it would get MASSIVELY heavy.  It would be much lighter  to add some strategic bracing in spots and use thinner material.
 The front half would have:
  • a rectangle cut out for the screen
  • blocks of plastic to hold the screen from moving (glue the blocks to the back of the front-half and preferably screw into the blocks to hold the monitor by the sides)
  • posts to position and hold the wacom tablet relative to the LCD panel (you could do this quick and dirty with some screws and washers and dowels but then you'd have those screws showing on the front of the case)
  • and finally, posts/brackets to hold the rear of the case to the front
I'm sure you can handle it with some careful power tool usage and a keen eye.
Wish you the best luck!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: