Bongofish
December 12, 2017, 09:21:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bamboo touch questions  (Read 5735 times)
m0fe
New Poster

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2009, 07:10:24 PM »

Hi forum

i have been wanting not only a Cintiq but a tablet pc for years, only problem is tablet pc's are to big........so my idea is to use one of my netbooks and a wacom bamboo and build a custom smallish tablet, has anyone had any experience with the Bamboo? and or turning a netbook into a touch screen?   

http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_fun.php
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001Q3LXDS/?tag=christmasgi0b-21
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 02:29:43 AM »

There is at least one thread that builds something out of a EEE netbook.  The LCD itself was a non-standard connection (not LVDS). Not sure about the Acer.  But that is of little concern if you want to use the netbook entirely -- and run your art tools on that (ATOM) processor.

How does the bamboo tablet size and active area fit in regard to the netbook screen and case size?  Typically you would want to have a the LCD the same or smaller than the active area.

I am not sure how far the bamboo can sense the pen on top of the surface of the pad.  And how accurate it is in regard to the pen tip. (is it doing the same calculation as the bigger Wacom boards that can sense the tilt and direction to align the coordinates with the "tip" of the pen -- even if the pen is tilted).
m0fe
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 12:39:59 PM »

I plan on using the entire netbook, I've been using autodesk sketch book on it and it runs fine, photoshop and painter are sluggish at best.
Here is the sizing image i knocked up, The screen is indeed smaller

I didn't think about deep the Bamboo can sense the pen but i would have though it would have been the same as the I3 and 4s, that's something for me to think about and try and test. I wanted to use the bamboo for it's multi-touch as just relying on pen input is a pain but i guess i'm ok with switching it for a I4.

I will keep the forum updated on my progress as the company i work for are ready buy all the bits i need and give me time to work on it (fun times)

Thanks for the reply bernard
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 04:40:48 AM »

deepness: I have a feeling that the bamboo technology is not the same, so you better check before you go to far.

oh yeah -- the multi-touch is pretty cool indeed -- but how is it going to work with an lcd in front? not sure I follow?

The "company" you work on seems pretty darn cool -- is this like the 20% Google pet projects (or whatever they call this)?

m0fe
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 02:42:22 PM »

I did a check on the deepness of the bamboo in a local store and got it to work nice at 1 cm, The multi-touch function is more of a wish than anything, When my colleague is back off his break i will sit down and see what is possible.
I also got in contact with a vacuum forming company who have good experience in building cases for custom projects, now i can start designing the look  Cheesy

I work for a design agency skive.co.uk, we don't have the google pet project set up but we are supportive of staff individual projects.
cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 03:09:52 PM »

If it's anything like regular touchscreens, it won't work with an lcd inbetween. You really have to touch the thing itself. Try it in the store with a sheet of paper inbetween your finger and the bamboo.
tuszi
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 07:53:19 PM »

Touch sensing i think is achieved by a foil over the surface of the thing (at least in the lcds of gps devices and the like) so maybe it can be done if the sensing layer is on the top of the whole thing.

I used to think im wierd, then i met someone from Earth.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 05:05:36 AM »

interesting -- do you think you would be able to "peel off" the "touch layer" and put it on top of the lcd?  I suppose that the touch layer is not necessarily transparent in the bamboo.  Tongue
tuszi
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 01:11:30 PM »

I have no idea. Probably yes, since i dont think they glue it on to something, it is rarely so in modern manufacturing process. (i belive it is avoided becouse in an event of faulty unit it increase the loss)

I used to think im wierd, then i met someone from Earth.
m0fe
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 02:29:44 PM »

Hi forum

Interesting idea on peeling off the touch layer, I will look into it.
Just a small update, I have ordered two Bamboo's for delivery tomorrow so I can start working out how this is all going to work
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 05:00:27 AM »

Any news for the bamboos?
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 07:58:41 AM »

Fascinating. I had no idea the bamboo used a different system.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 06:45:57 PM »

I would think the Bamboo uses the touch screen (like an iPhone) AND their good old RF sensor stuff.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: