Bongofish
November 17, 2019, 06:19:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Intuos3 A5 wide build... strange ratio. How would you proceed ?  (Read 34192 times)
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2011, 09:57:19 PM »

that datasheet (SFDMB3792F.pdf) is indeed a LED Driver -- if you look carefully the "inputs" include an "Enable", a "PWM" and power of course (Vin + Gnd).  The Output has 3 Anode+Cathode pair (sounds good for 3 "direct" LED strings -- that is for LEDs without LED drivers obviously).

The B116XW02_V0 definitely already includes that circuit. See? It has the exact same inputs!  Cool  Maybe the first LCD Panel is different (spec sheet not clear to me).

I mean, in the case that this circuit was not included in the LCD Panel -- That does not solve your problem -- you are still stuck with how to connect these inputs from -- you need to feed a PWM into this led driver to control the brightness!   Back to Square One. Smiley hehe

If you have access to a LCD that already includes the LED Driver circuit -- I would not spend 100$US on buying the pieces separately...
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2011, 10:11:33 PM »

For the other variants of their stuff, the one with the "internal PWM 255:1" not sure what it means -- maybe you can control the brigthness in some other way without feeding a PWM but feeding something else(?)  I have seen CCFL inverters with a "dim" pin which is essentially a voltage within a range. for example,  let's say the range is 0.5v to 6.0v   The voltage you apply will control the brightness. (0.5v dark -- 6.0v max brightness). 

little bit of digging:
glp.lescigales.org -- c'est ton site ca?  <- notice the language is not english. -- everything here tells me you are french (and french-speaking) Smiley
GwenLP

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2011, 10:36:03 PM »

Yesyes it is a LED driver of course !
But you say the B116XW02_V0 already includes a LED driver ? OKOK
So in fact, if it has an inbuild LED driver, all that fails is some way to control dimming via PWM, is that right ? In witch (again, I love that typo) case we could consider this Teensy thing.
Nooooooooow it all makes sense !
Absolutely.
Of course having no PWM means 100 brightness, which (OK let's be reasonable) is kind of stupid…

For the other variants of their stuff, the one with the "internal PWM 255:1" not sure what it means -- maybe you can control the brigthness in some other way without feeding a PWM but feeding something else(?)  I have seen CCFL inverters with a "dim" pin which is essentially a voltage within a range. for example,  let's say the range is 0.5v to 6.0v   The voltage you apply will control the brightness. (0.5v dark -- 6.0v max brightness).
Yes, this is how I read it too: dimming controled by applied voltage potential on pin 7. If you look at graph 1 (page 5 of this pdf), 1v is 100% brightness, 5v is minimum, in that case 1/255th (0.4%).

And yes, nice guess, I am french, but I suggest, as respect for the rest of this nice community, that we carry on using english.
glp.lescigales.org is not really my site. In fact i use it as an upload platform for my blender scripts, other files, etc…
My site is this one : www.contrepoint-records.com But it has nothing to do with Blender nor DIY nor Violin-making !
GwenLP

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2011, 11:46:03 PM »

I think this is turning out to be rather addicting. I can't stop googling things out and trying to learn some electronics.

There are apparently quite a few other possibilities to build my own PWM generating device. Analog and digital ones. I love that idea !

Something I noticed: There are apparently 30 and 40 pins LVDS connectors. The panels I like (that B116XW02 for instance) happen to come with the 40 pins flavour. But it seems that the controllers from NJYTouch control panels that have the 30 pins type. That worries me…

I will be on holidays from friday to the next sunday. And right after that I'll be in quite a rush at work, so I won't make much progress …

BTW: does someone know them :
http://www.fvdnow.com/index.html  ?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 12:39:35 AM by GwenLP » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2011, 04:23:42 PM »

40 pins? That is a lot of pins/lines -- normally we see 20pins or 30pins. Oh but wait, this board as the LED stuff and I think the extra lines are for driving the LEDs, no?  Yes, a different connector is a source of anxiety indeed.  These are really small beasts and difficult to "construct by hand".

I do not know fvdnow -- I suspect they are not cheap.  But they (as many others) could be a source of help.  You loose nothing (other than a bit of time) by asking.

GwenLP

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2011, 01:42:13 PM »

Hi every one !

I can't believe i still haven't found the time to really make my own build !

Because i don't want to mess up with complicated LVDS drivers and stuff, I thought i would find some "all-in -one" packages with a display and its controller.
Here are some:

http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/products/5754212/12_1_16_9_LCD_Monitor_with_VGA_and_Composite_Input_Optional_HDMI_DVI_input.html#normal_img

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/347730983/12inch_VGA_touchscreen_monitor_12inch_LCD.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/361124674-Free-shipping-12inch-VGA-touchscreen-monitor-12inch-LCD-CCTV-Monitor-12-wide-screen-PC-monitor-wholesalers.html

http://www.tradevv.com/chinasuppliers/carpclcd_p_d057e/china-12-1inch-TFT-LCD-industrial-SKD-modules-open-frame-touchscreen-HDMI-DVI.html

Do you think this could be a good idea ?
Has someone got some experience with such products ?
I tend to think that the quality of the display will be a bit poor (viewing angles, etc), but the fact that some are meant to be touch-operated makes me think they would be sturdier…
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 07:58:36 PM by GwenLP » Logged
GwenLP

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2011, 12:23:45 AM »

The more i think about it, the better i like this solution: you buy a kit with a DVI input and a panel. The pair is matched, so not much room for incompatibilities.
Some panels are even LED panels: i suspect these are less prone to jitter, due to the lack of high voltage currents for a CCFL.
Some have a resistive touch panel built-in: while that won't be usefull, i guess they are sturdier !

Bad news though: impossible to find a 12.1" 1366×768 panel, the perfect fit for a wide intuos A5…

GwenLP

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2012, 11:02:58 PM »

So the master entered the room, turned to the computer and told the forgotten topic: "Wake-up!"
And the forgotten topic got 1st page once again !

How nice...

More seriously, I could' find the kit i was mentionning in the previous post.
So i go back to the "separate sources" way.

I've found some nice LED backlit panels for my A5 wide.
Annnnnnnnnnd i have found that:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270872905933

Now there is something i don't get: the panel that is meant to be driven by that board is backlit. But do you see some kind of "inverter" (I man the PWM thing for the LED, i know it isn' called inverter) for the LEDs ?

And how do you control the monitor ? There are no buttons for brightness, etc...
The bad thing is ...VGA only.

Another thing:
The panel in question, the LP156WH2-TLA1, is a very close cousin to the ones i have in sight for my build: the LP116WH2 TLC1 or the LP125WH2SLB1. They share the same resolution, brand, and their specs are extremely similar. I join a link to the specs for you:
http://www.contrepoint-records.com/ressources/divers/LP116WH2-TLC1.pdf
http://www.contrepoint-records.com/ressources/divers/LP156WH2-TLA1.pdf
http://www.contrepoint-records.com/ressources/divers/LP125WH2 SLB1.pdf

I have asked njytouch if they thought that would work and what they told me was:
Hi,

Thank you for your emails!

I am afraid we couldn't help you. Sorry!

Regards,
Maria

That was quite disapointing, as i sent them the specs too...

Do you think i should try ? They look so close !

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:10:25 PM by GwenLP » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2012, 01:48:54 AM »

Maria is not helping very much it seems Sad  But where's Christina?

That LED controller can drive the LED backlight power and signals through the same 40pin connector (pin 31 to pin 40). It thus has an integrated LED (PWM) driver.
The eBay ad mentions a keypad -- so there you go for the OSD menu "buttons".

Ok, I opened the datasheet (LP116WH2-TLC1.pdf).

Let's check the specs. 

- Both are 40 pins, including the backlight on pin 31 to pin 40 and the signals appears to match too.
- The board is said to drive 1366x768 resolution - that matches the LCD resolution.
- no DVI connection - yup, that's a choice. in terms of quality it should be good, but if you do not have any VGA connection (or DVI that include analog signals to convert it using a simple DVI-VGA adapter).

I would go for it (personally).
GwenLP

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2012, 11:25:06 PM »

Hi Bernard !

Do you know if Christina has a personnal e-mail ?
I would love to ask them if they could do the same, but with a DVI input...

About the keypad: yes, well spoted. I oversaw that...

I agree: the datasheets shout "go for it" ! I'll email them once more about that DVI stuff and then, if my finances allow it, I'll  take the risk !
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2012, 12:33:33 AM »

All the info we have (including what you are asking) is already in our wiki page: http://wiki.bongofish.co.uk/doku.php?id=bongofish:lvdsvendors
GwenLP

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2012, 12:01:19 AM »

Ohhh, thanks.

I have sent her a mail and the datasheets: very curious to see what she can do.

Now some interesting news: the panel I've set my eyes on is... an IPS panel. So the viewing angles will probably be very nice.
BUT there seems to be a problem: early versions of that panel suffer from ghosting, as seen in this thread:
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Faint-Ghosting-on-X220-IPS-screen/td-p/435201/page/44
The panel in question is the LP125WH2 SLB1

In the meantime, I have stumbled upon another panel, the LP125WH2 SLB2 (notice the subtle difference).
Impossible to find any datasheet of that one... To me, the specs should be the same, the 2nd being some kind of altered version correcting the SLB1 problems... That's how i see the tiny naming difference (SLB2 instead of SLB1)

What do you think ?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2012, 03:01:00 AM »

yes, that's very possible indeed. I never saw that type of model number near the end "SLB1", but it does sound like that indeed. The "ghosting" may not be corrected though, it can be another bug fix, but the specs has good chances of working. Is it too expensive to take a risk?
GwenLP

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2012, 09:04:49 AM »

The SLB1 i can fin at about 100 € plus shipping. The SLB2 is marginally more expensive (15€)

Too bad i can't find any specs about that thing !

About the ghosting in the LP125WH2 SLB1: apparently, users of the Lenovo X220 (AFAIK the only laptop to use the panel) reported the problem, and panels manufactured after august 2011 are OK. So i could get away with a nice SLB1 after all, and avoid the risk altogether.
But that numbering really make me think that the SLB2 is a corrected version.

I'd love to stuck with one of the two because
  • They fit my A5 wide intuos 3 nicely
  • 1366 x 768 is not bad
  • LED backlit : less current at the edge, maybe less jitter ?
  • Matte surface and IPS
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2012, 02:58:22 PM »

You might regret it not to spend that extra 15 euros. I would pick the SLB2 personally. Like you said, chances are the specs are the same.

Bonne chance !
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: