Bongofish
December 14, 2019, 06:54:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Intuos3 A5 wide build... strange ratio. How would you proceed ?  (Read 34292 times)
GwenLP

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2012, 07:58:13 PM »

An update !

Believe it or not: I haven't given up !

But it is impossible to find the panel i want.
The LP125WH2 SLB2 is not to be found anywhere.

Panel sellers have the very bad habit of selling "compatible panels". For instance, in my case, they sell the LP125WH2 TLB1 and LP125WH2 TLD1 under the same specs as the LP125WH2 SLB1 or SLB2
But the first two are TN, glossy panels while the last two are IPS, matte panels !

When i ask a specific vendor to make sure they ship a SLB1 or SLB2, they simply reply that they don't have any of these, ALTHOUGH THEY ARE LISTED ON THE NET. It is just that any buyer wanting a nice SLB2 (IPS, matte) will get some TLB1 (TN, glossy). Heck, they are compatible aren't they ?

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2012, 08:09:58 PM »

Hello again GwenLP. I can feel the steam pressure getting out...  Smiley
jwkeiser
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2012, 03:44:39 AM »

I'm glad i came across this thread...

I have recently begun thinking about starting another build (i originally started what i called the disastiq using a usb powered 7 inch monitor and my original bamboo -- needless to say i doomed it from the start with that name). So, while i own an 11x6 intuos 3, i wanted to get a bigger working area, so i wanted to use an intuos4 large with an lp154wu02 (beautiful 15.4 inch 1920x1200 panel). however, securing a large intuos4 was just too expensive, so i turned to try to get something going with my 11x6 intuos3.

anyway, i did some research on the panels you were talking about, most notably the lp125wh2 SLB2. I remember from my laptop shopping that the lenovo x220 tablet used a 12.5 inch ips panel, so that got the gears working in my head. i googled around, and found this: http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/LP125WH2(SL)(B2)/ i know you can't trust the images they give you, but after some google image searching i was able to find a pic of the back of the panel with the correct model #, and it matches roughly what laptopscreen.com has for a picture, but i noticed that there is a lack of circuitry on the back, which would make it perfect to throw a digitizer behind it...

could this be a panel made FOR tablets? sure seems that way, as it's the recommended replacement screen for the x220 tablet. laptopscreen.com seems to have it for $70 USD, which is pretty good if you ask me, even then who knows if they actually have that panel in stock, the only other question is how to drive it. I have an email in to christina about this, so i'm anxiously awaiting her reply. I'm very tempted to go for it and try to hook it up to my broken down 10.1 inch netbook (that LED screen has the same 40-pin hookup).  Thoughts??
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2012, 03:08:30 PM »

I'm very tempted to go for it and try to hook it up to my broken down 10.1 inch netbook (that LED screen has the same 40-pin hookup).

This will only work if the resolution (pixels) and the number of bits per channel (6 or Cool the same?  (IPS is often 8 bits, TN is mostly 6 bits unless there is some sort of temporal dithering to boost the number of bits). In terms of pinouts, it is pretty standard, there are some variations (LVDS one or 2 channels, 30 or 40 pins and driving the backlight LEDs portion).

A panel *without* circuitry?  Never seen this before. Sometimes the circuits are inside the panel (some panels have a metal case). But in this case (I am looking at the tiny picture) maybe the circuits are really all "outside" the panel. Like you are saying, maybe it was done like that to fit a tablet *OR* just to remove a few millimeters off the thickness of the screen.

70$ is a great price indeed.

Note that if you still wanted to match this against your intuos3, you might run into a slight issue: The intuos3 A5 Wide will not cover the entire area -  it is a weebit too small. According to the active area published by us http://wiki.bongofish.co.uk/doku.php?id=bongofish:tablets#intuos3_series (271.0 mm by 158.8 -- lookup the intuos3 manual to be sure this info is good) and with the help of the Simtiq Planner, it appears that you would need 12.2 inches or less.   With a 12.5 inches, you will not be able to reach 11 pixels on the left and right sides (but it would be ok on the top and bottom).
jwkeiser
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2012, 03:13:58 PM »

So some more news, i created a support ticket on laptopscreen.com:

Jun 12, 2012 20:55:09
Joe wrote:
I am about to place an order for an LP125WH2(SL)(B2), and it says "compatible with p/n LP125WH2(SL)(B2)", does this mean the exact screen may not be available? I don't want to receive a lesser product if that particular one is not available. Please let me know if you have any panels that match EXACTLY this: LP125WH2(SL)(B2), and let me know how I can go about buying it. Thank you! Hope you have a great day.

- Joe

And here is the response:

Jun 12, 2012 22:42:21
Felix wrote:
Thank you for contacting our support team.
Please, note, that currently we ship the exact model # LP125WH2(SL)(B2).
http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/LP125WH2(SL)(B2)/

I also received a response from Christina that said they didn't have that particular panel, but I could give it a shot with this controller:http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-controller-kit-LG-PHILIPS-LP133WH1-TL-B1-LED-display-Screen-Panel-LVDS-/270978896593?pt=US_Server_Boards&hash=item3f1799d2d1#ht_4704wt_1163
"unfortunately we never tried before. If you think its LVDS pinout is the same as LP133WH1(TL)(B1) LCD, you may take a try."

I'm a little unclear as to what she means by pinout, are there other factors involved other than the pin count/voltage, etc? (excuse my lack of knowledge in the area, i'm a software engineer, not an EE :-) )

Sorry for hijacking this thread GwenLP, but i figured we were in the same boat.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2012, 03:22:27 PM »

pinout is the mapping of pins in the 40-pins connector. Yes, there is more than pinout.  For the voltage, this is pretty much standard, but there is more.

For driving the LEDs, this is less standard thus a bit more tricky.

You must now find the datasheet (PDFs) for both LCD panels and compare their specifications to see if they match. You must check:

- the pinout of course
- the number of LVDS channels (1 or 2) (this is implicit in the pinout, 2 channels means double the number of pins to drive the R/G/B)
- the native resolution of the LCD
- the number of bits per RGB channel (6 or Cool
- the type of connector (yes, there are variants) -- this is difficult to find, some LCD panels have variants with different connectors.

If unsure, post the links to both of the PDFs.
jwkeiser
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2012, 03:59:05 PM »

you're right about the active area bernard, there are a few unused mms of that grey cover sheet, but i'm willing to go without ~20 pixels, this won't be my primary monitor, it will be my third, and i'll only use it for drawing, so a few pixels here or there is trivial. (btw nice little piece of javascript with that simtiq planner)

so njytouch also has a controller for the exact panel you posted the specs for (lp156...), and the spec sheets match up almost perfectly (same bits/pin layout aside from some extra grounds for the ips panel) with the lp125wh2-slb1. Am i reading this correctly in that they SHOULD both work on the same controller?

EDIT: oops, didn't see your post just before mine, i've pasted the spec sheets that GwenLP originally posted:
http://www.contrepoint-records.com/ressources/divers/LP156WH2-TLA1.pdf -- njytouch has a controller for this exact panel.
http://www.contrepoint-records.com/ressources/divers/LP125WH2-SLB1.pdf

the connectors look slightly different, but the pin layout matches up.

ANOTHER EDIT: njytouch also sells a controller for the LP133WH1-TLB1, the specs for the TLA1 are here: http://www.avidia.com.tw/docs/product/LP133WH1-TLA1.pdf

they are identical to the LP156 panel in pretty much every significant way, except the controller for the 13.3 inch model comes with a dvi connection--figured that was worth mentioning.

great, now i'm re-addicted to this stuff.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:43:53 PM by jwkeiser » Logged
jwkeiser
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2012, 08:19:04 PM »

heyo, so i ended up starting a build log -- http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=2155.0

i ended up buying an lp125wh2 slb2, it was $70+$15 shipping from laptopscreen.com (they sent the correct slb2 version!). it came and it only took two laptop tests to get it working! looks like one of these controllers will work:
Controller for the monitor that was in the laptop i successfully tested the lp125 on (vga only):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-controller-kit-LG-PHILIPS-LP156WH2-TLA1-LED-display-Screen-Panel-LVDS-/280898386006?pt=US_Server_Boards&hash=item4166d93856
This controller is for a monitor with identical specs to the one for the controller above -- has both dvi and vga:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-controller-kit-LG-PHILIPS-LP133WH1-TL-B1-LED-display-Screen-Panel-LVDS-/280901507992?pt=US_Server_Boards&hash=item416708db98#ht_4704wt_1163

i posed the question to Christina (would the lp133 controller drive the lp156), and if the answer is yes, i'll get the lp133 controller and should be good to go, check back in my build log for updates.
GwenLP

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2012, 10:08:04 AM »

Waw, just as i discovered someone forked this thread and started a build, a seller contacted me to to say he has got a LP125WH2 SLB1 of recent manufacturing date handy !
But it's a bit expensive really: 100€ plus shipping !

Congratulations Jwkeiser ! I'll have a few questions to you in your build log thread OK ?
GwenLP

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2012, 10:54:18 PM »

Here is the latest: I've contacted jwkeiser per mail, and asked him to confirm the versions of screen and controller he ordered. They are the exact models i thought of buying back then earlier this year.
I have found a pdf with the specs of that LP125WH2 SLB2, and it looks almost identical to that of the SLB1 and related monitors. So I've placed the order to laptopscreens.com.
Not that expensive, but i am in Europe, and the shipping is a bit more expensive... so i ended up paying about 60$ for the panel and 40 for the postage costs. It's OK.

I've sent a mail to Christina, asked if she could see that the controller fits the specs, add a power supply to the bundle. If she's OK, then i'll order that on monday (or even tomorrow if they are swift to respond).

So basically jwkeiser's build and mine are gonna be twins !
I hope i'll be able to do my part of the job, which is to fit the damn thing in the Wacom !
I'd like to avoid raising the height of the device too much...

To be continued... (probably early october, won't be home for a week)
zsero
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2012, 09:40:48 PM »

I've opened a thread about laptop LCD panels:
http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=2202.msg17173#msg17173
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: