Bongofish
January 18, 2020, 07:05:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Intuos4  (Read 10390 times)
jmatch
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 09:55:34 PM »

Do you happen to have any pictures of the assembly of an intuos4, i'm looking into getting a large one and starting my own build. I just wanna know what i'll be working with before I buy
random-jimmy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 12:51:06 AM »

I took some pictures last night, so I will upload those on the weekend.
jmatch
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 03:13:18 AM »

Awesome! can't wait to see
random-jimmy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 01:11:21 PM »

In terms of room, there is plenty inside the intuos4 (well at least for me to work with - but I'm weird). I think there is enough room inside to fit an entire 15.4" display (including repositioning the driver board).
caunt
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 07:10:45 PM »

Random jimmy,
any progress?  This is exactly what I want to do. . . an intuos4 large with a 15.4 screen.  Could you specify the lcd screen you are using?  One thing I am really wondering is about the fact that 15.4 screens are slightly larger than the declared intuos surface.  Will this leave a dead space on the edge, making it difficult to click, say, the "close" button on the tile bars of maximized apps, or difficult to grab the scroll bars on the right.  My very first tabletPC was an old one from ebay where the edges of the digitizer were dying and it made the thing hardly worthwhile.
I also am very interested in if you can actually fit most of the pieces inside.  I'd almost decided to just tape the screen to the surface of the intuos.
cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2010, 08:17:59 PM »

Some webssites state the wrong dimensions for the intuos4 range. A 15.4" screen should fit perfectly.
caunt
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 09:17:05 PM »

Thank you cellotran!  Wacom's site lists the intuos 4 large as 12.8x8 inches.  the 15.4 screens I've seen with the length and width specified, give the dimensions of 13.1x8.2.  That, in theory, makes the lcd bigger by 0.3 and 0.2. ,or roughly 0.1 inches on all sides.  I say in theory because I don't know anything really, about lcd's.  Are you saying it fits perfectly because that extra bit doesn't matter, whether because the visible pixels don't extend to the physical edge or some other similar reason? 

Thank you BTW, for your helpfulness.  It really is encouraging to get real answers like yours in a case like this.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 09:41:26 PM »

I've been aggregating some tablets dimensions on our (upcoming) bongofish wiki : http://wiki.bongofish.co.uk/doku.php?id=bongofish:tablets    These are in mm, but for the intuos 4 L (large) -- that makes: W:325.1mm x H:203.2mm or 12.8inches x 8inches (maybe we should put inches in there too). This seems to concord with what caunt is saying, but I haven't actually measured it. This is from the intuos 4 user manual "Specifications".  Are those numbers correct? Cellofaan I think I recall you mentioned being able to "steal" a few mm of the edges, but not sure.

The size of the lcd depends on the Aspect ratio -- what is the aspect ratio of your 15.4 screen? One way to tell is to look at the lcd native resolution in pixels to determine the aspect ratio.  Btw, all Intuos4 are 16:10.

Here are the numbers for the typical aspect ratios:

DiagonalAspect RatioHorizontalVertical
15.4   16:913.427.55
15.4   16:1013.068.16
15.4   16:1212.329.24
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 10:32:44 PM by bernard » Logged
cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 10:44:43 PM »

My stealing theory is just that, I haven't tested it, but I will when I get a new monitor, and I'll let you know.

The physical dimensions listed for 15.4" lcd screens are indeed slightly bigger than the active area of the wacom, but as far as I know, these are the dimensions for the entire screen (not the casing, but the actual panel). LCD screens also have an active area, and a small border around it, of about 2 or 3 mm, which I think is used for the wiring of the pixels. That would make the active lcd area match the wacom's active area.

Even if I'm wrong about that, one tenth of an inch is smaller than the width of a scrollbar. I don't think that would be a problem, or even noticable.
caunt
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 11:22:26 PM »

I haven't bought anything yet. . . still researching, though the screens I see are all 16:10.  
The spec sheet I found for a Samsung LTN154P-L02 (as an example) says:
SIZE     15.4"
RESOLUTION     WSXGA+
NUMBER OF PIXELS     1,680 x 1,050
ACTIVE AREA(mm²)     331.4 x 207.1
PIXEL PITCH(mm)     0.197
NUMBER OF COLORS    262K
Color Gamut(%)    45
CONTRAST RATIO    300:1
BRIGHTNESS(cd/m²)    185
RESPONSE TIME(ms at 25 °C)    25
VIEWING ANGLE(U/D/L/R)    50/50/65/65

Doesn't seem very impressive.

I need to be sure the screen I buy has a good viewing angle (One of my first, very early model tabletPC's from ebay had a viewing angle that required you to hold it not more than 15deg off dead center in any direction.   VERY limiting)
cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 11:42:04 PM »

Seems like you were right and the panel is indeed slightly larger than the wacom. 3mm on the sides, and 2 on the top and bottom.
25ms response time isn't great. Sounds like an older screen? The viewing angle is quite bad too.

Have you had a look on DIY-beamer yet? They sell lcd's too, with controllers. Not cheap though.
Agilentpixel also has some screens and controllers.
caunt
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 12:39:06 AM »

I'm finding it very difficult to find spec sheets for specific panels.  Based mostly on user reviews of laptops that are known to contain a particular panel, I've decided to rule out samsung panels in general, also hitachi.  I think that leaves me with variations of LG panels. 
Thanks for the tip on DIY-beamer .  I'll check it out.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: