Bongofish
September 24, 2018, 09:10:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Robcat2075 build log  (Read 14456 times)
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 10:33:01 AM »

Have a look at the jitter thread. 

Can you adjust the read height in the drivers?

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
robcat2075

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 10:28:15 PM »

Have a look at the jitter thread.
I'll give the foil wrapping a try.

I did try screwing the controller board back into the metal cage from teh monitor, but that actually mad things worse.  The cursor was pegged at the top of the screen.  Hard to figure that out.

Can you adjust the read height in the drivers?
I'm afriad the Aiptek driver is pretty minimal.  I tried looking through the registry but didnt' see anything familiar.

Robert Holmén
------
The Robcat View
robcat2075

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »

Well, I guess I've reached the end of the line here. 

While lifting the board that runs along the top of the LCD, to wrap it, I seem to have damaged some of those very short FFCs that that attach it.  The right side of the display just displays vertical lines now.  At first it was intermittent, but now I think it's done for.  Manually repairing the connections looks impossible.

I had begun to feel that these boards are the cause of most of the curcor jitter because the farther I lfted them away from the tablet sensor the more the jitter would decrease.  But wrapping in foil only made the jitter worse..

Oh well. May you all have better results than I!

Robert Holmén
------
The Robcat View
robcat2075

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 04:06:40 AM »

For the benefit of posterity I think I know what went wrong.

In this pre-catastrophe pic you can see the controller board that attaches to the top of the LCD

there are 8 FFCs that connect them together, and they appeard as if thery were well attached to the circuit board.

But after a certain amount of handling they came unstuck, and once they came unstuck, the only thing holding them to the circuit board were the tiny traces from the FFC to the board.  It only took a few flexes for those to fatigue and break the connection.

If i find another VERY cheap monitor i might give it another shot, but the jitter problem seems so intractable I think I'll wait until someone discovers a reliable fix.

Robert Holmén
------
The Robcat View
Rumi

Mad Artist/Scientist

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 06:53:47 AM »

Sorry to hear about the monitor  Sad , we are in uncharted territory here so it is difficult to know which monitors to go with and how to handle them. I am going to carefully try and put my Samsung back together before I break anything. I extended the controller cable so I am not sure how I am going to fit all back in.Huh

Anyway your experience with this one will help you with the next one.

wei803

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 07:16:16 AM »

Cheesy Rumi, I have no problem putting back mine. But it take lots more trouble to put it back.
As usual, you'll find lot's of unwanted screws. And I left the last metal sheet to make space for extra cables.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 10:03:52 AM »

If you don't want to put it back in you could always have an LCD animated windoew in your PC case  Smiley

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
bal8664
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 05:22:26 PM »

Robcat,

Your monitor appears to be the exact same as the dell 1503FP I purchased.  Same screen, inverter, and everything.  Only difference is mine has DVI and VGA.  I can't get mine to work without jittering issues so I'm curious as to how your build comes out.

I decided not to use the actual LCD screen from the 1503FP because of the FCC issues, and because I had a working LCD from a dell e153fp.  I would be more than happy to sell it to you (just the screen of course, since you have a working backlight assembly).  I'm not sure where you are located, but I am in the US.  If you are interested let me know.

nathansmith

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 10:21:24 PM »

I can comisserate with you as you and I were using the same monitor and I had the exact same thing happen to my monitor. The FFCs connecting the top of the screen just kind of broke off. I could press some of them down and get the monitor to kind of display a picture, but for the most part it was just completely dead.

On a side note, I did find that placing a metal shield between the top controller board and my Aiptek tablet did elimitate at least most if not all of the jitter. I just used the metal shield that was inside the back of the monitor. It was very thin, but seemed to provide enough protection to shield whatever was causing jitter.
robcat2075

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2007, 03:41:51 AM »

The FFCs connecting the top of the screen just kind of broke off. I could press some of them down and get the monitor to kind of display a picture, but for the most part it was just completely dead.
Yup.  Embarrassed I'm thinking if I try this again, maybe hot-gluing them so they would stay flat onthe PCB and not be tempted to lift off might work?  mere electrical tape would probablynot be enough.

On a side note, I did find that placing a metal shield between the top controller board and my Aiptek tablet did elimitate at least most if not all of the jitter. I just used the metal shield that was inside the back of the monitor. It was very thin, but seemed to provide enough protection to shield whatever was causing jitter.
  I was beginning to think along those lines, since the Aiptek has a large metal sheet right behind it, the mere presence of metal doesn't seem to be the problem and perhaps some strategically placed metal (cut from galvanized roofing steel from Home Depot?).  Maybe I'll try some experiments with my dead LCD to see if shielding really can work.

The problem is the PCBs are so closely connected to the screen it seems difficult to ever really enclose them.

Robert Holmén
------
The Robcat View
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 04:42:39 AM »

Exactly what ball said, but i have only taken apart my lcd, not put together everything, looks almost exactly same, but ihave both inputs.

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
robcat2075

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007, 04:28:49 AM »

I decided not to use the actual LCD screen from the 1503FP because of the FCC issues, and because I had a working LCD from a dell e153fp. I would be more than happy to sell it to you (just the screen of course, since you have a working backlight assembly). I'm not sure where you are located, but I am in the US. If you are interested let me know.

Hey bal, I sent you a PM about your screen

Robert Holmén
------
The Robcat View
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: