Bongofish
November 16, 2018, 11:25:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Tanassi's build log  (Read 72793 times)
Tanassi

View Profile WWW
« on: January 13, 2007, 11:23:55 PM »

hi everybody,

ok, here i am, with my DYI project.
since i would like to resurrect my old tilting drawing board where i have dropped so much ink before the computer time.
here some image of the board how i would like to built.

the board is 1.70x1.00m, large enough to contain a big tablet in a rotating disk with all accessories (keyboard, secondary monitors and other) and, very important to me, the surface of the tablet will be on the same plane of the desk.
back to the old style drawing.
in the resulting cavity under the board i'll place all the cables, connectors, power supply boxes and stuff.
i'll probably use as secondary monitor, for menu bars, icons palette and other, a touch screen so i will not need any other input device.

now the DIY Cintiq.
i have bought on ebay a used Wacom Ultrapad II 12x18", the tablet is now on the road, it should arrive in the next week, i paid it €120 shipment included, i know, not so cheap but it's complete with pen, cables, manual and power supply.
i found some on the USA Ebay for about $50 but without any accessory. so i can be glad of my babe.
i would fit in it a 20" wide display, i have seen some display on the net but many cheaper have only 1440x900 pix.
i'm on the chance, being my first cintiq-like, if use a cheaper and low resolution monitor or an expensive and higher resolution one.
i have some experience of mechanical design (i'm indeed a mech designer since 30 years) and i think i'll go for the expensive choice.
i have found some new 20" monitor Fujitsu Siemens L20-1W 1680x1050 at €239 plus €15 shipment... very good choice!!!
only one issue... power supply INSIDE... damn! it was too fine to be true!
the quest continues.
i would like, if possible, to try the way of led lighting, let's see.
on the top of the tablet i think to place a 2 or 3 mm tempered glass, depends on the proximity distance.
if this project will come to a success i thiink to make another one, in fact i need two, built with a intuos 3 A3 Wide with a 22" hires wide monitor, hope to find a 1920x1200, larger then the original Cintiq, WOW.
ok, i'll take a coffee now and let's speak next week Smiley

bye... Vincenzo

FritzFantom
New Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 11:41:19 PM »

sounds like a lot of stuff to do... Wink

do you want to build the table from scratch? how do you wanna make this "rotating-thing" in the middle?
never mind a table like this, but it sounds nice... Tongue
Tanassi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 11:56:21 PM »

yes... a lot!  Grin
but i don't have dead lines...
i already have the board 1.70x1.00m large that come from the table attached to a tilting pedestal with counterweight that allow the board to be arranged as you want.
all the overstructure will be done with 10mm plywood.
the rotating disk shall have a pivot in the middle (a screw/bolt or something) attached to the under board.
i have a little wood workshop machinery in my garage.
it should come out fine Cheesy

Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 12:08:10 AM »

This looks very ambitious.  What an exciting project.

The disk could also have castors or small skateboard wheels mounted to the board underneath.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
robcat2075

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 01:38:45 AM »

the rotating disk shall have a pivot in the middle (a screw/bolt or something) attached to the under board.

A hardware store will have the pivot you need

Here in Texas we call them thar things "Lazy Susans":

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Ball-Bearing-Lazy-Susan-Swivel-Spinner-Turntable_W0QQitemZ120074711606QQihZ002QQcategoryZ41973QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120074711606

a good one will turn freely without any side-to-side rocking.

Robert Holmén
------
The Robcat View
Tanassi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 10:47:21 AM »

@ Drew: yes i'm the one of the ambitious projects, they are destined to fail miserably  Grin Grin Grin

@ Robcat: thank you Rob, that was exactly what i was looking for... a lazy Susan... mmm Grin
               seriously, very helpful! thanks!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 06:16:13 PM by Tanassi » Logged

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 07:52:07 PM »

How would that fit with the monitor there?    Huh

Clint

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 08:33:04 PM »

How would that fit with the monitor there?    Huh

You could embed the monitor in the wood then connect the wood to the lazy susan.. Wouldn't there be heat problems?

It's not just Texans who call swivels, lazy susans..
Tanassi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 09:16:22 AM »

here a lil schematic exploded draw.
the existing board supports with some spacers a secondary thinner board made of plywood so the disk, tablet and board are all on the same plan.
between the two boards will result a cavity for the mess of cables, supply bricks and other stuff.
of course there'll be some hole here and there for passing cables and allow air circulation.
may be i provide a large diameter low speed fan if a natural ventilation should not be sufficient.
anyway i would like to allow the cintiq-like tablet to work off of the board also for an occasionally portable use.

bye... Vince

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 10:04:48 AM »

Grin

Rumi

Mad Artist/Scientist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 10:37:43 AM »

Nice designs.  Smiley
A little bit of friction might be good for the swiveling because you don't want it moving so easily as when it is on ball bearings.

Tanassi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 11:47:34 AM »

i'm glad you like it Cheesy

i forgot to mention that i'll provide some kind of brake, in those holes i'll put a sort of sliding lever to actuate it.
something like this

bye... Vince
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 11:51:01 AM by Tanassi » Logged

FritzFantom
New Poster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »

looks nice so far - btw. which program was used for creating this schematics? (looks like SolidEdge..  Tongue)
Tanassi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 02:47:03 PM »

no, it's not solidedge, it's Rhinoceros 3D. http://www.rhino3d.com
a nice piece of software and not expensive like solidedge or solidworks or pro-e or so on.
bye... Vince

Tanassi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 10:50:25 PM »

OK guys...

the tablet is here in my hands! WOW!
it's a huge 12*18" Wacom Ultrapad Digitizer II

i have checked the proximity distance and it's not 9mm like in the Drew's one it's 5mm, this could be a problem.
i hope the display be thin enough to leave some mm before the pen touch the display surface.

i measured the proximity distance on my intuos I 12*12" and was in fact 9mm, i thought the Ultrapad series had the same.
but i have to say that the instruction manual of the Ultrapad declares 5mm prox. dist.

now i'll measure the distance without the enclusure and let's see what happens.
but anyway it works really well.

tomorrow i'll take some shots and show you.

bye... Vince

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: