Bongofish
November 15, 2019, 03:54:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: THE PLAN!  (Read 6174 times)
BHCS

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2010, 04:16:45 PM »

hi guys,

back again Smiley with a new 15" screen and a wacom intuos2 A4 in the post! and i have a new plan.

i am going to extend the backlight cables and LCD cable so that all the circuitry is kept in one lump. by doing this i will be able to fit everything inside my original intuos case, and jam everything else inside an ABS box! this will most likely be attatched to the back of the unit and used as part of a stand.

i have found the right extensions for my backlights-
http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/582-33629-8253/UPH-OEEX007-LCD-Wire-Extension.html

and have the right size box ABS box, ready to be drilled.

the only thing i DONT have is way to extend the actual LCD cable that goes from the board to the LCD unit itself, its a 20 pin connector, does anybody know where i can get one? it would help a lot.
also, i am going to insulate the ABS box, what should i use? to prevent danger and also to try to reduce any electric fields or whatever that may mess with the board Smiley

thanks,
Joe
cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 04:42:05 PM »

Welcome back!

FFC cables can be bought at DIY-beamer or quadrangleproducts. The first is European based, the second is in the US. You'll also need to know the pitch, or distance between two pins.

Insulating can be done with anything that doesn't conduct electricity, like insulating tape.
Reducing or shielding the electric fields is something entirely different. You need to make a faraday cage like thing. So if your abs box is a metal one, then that's covered.
BHCS

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 04:52:37 PM »

Welcome back!

FFC cables can be bought at DIY-beamer or quadrangleproducts. The first is European based, the second is in the US. You'll also need to know the pitch, or distance between two pins.

Insulating can be done with anything that doesn't conduct electricity, like insulating tape.
Reducing or shielding the electric fields is something entirely different. You need to make a faraday cage like thing. So if your abs box is a metal one, then that's covered.
no problem, the circuits are already in their own metal case that covers most of the stuff. im placing that inside another plastic box.

also, it isnt an FFC cable i need, its one of these-
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb177/blesshiscottonsocks/IMG_0458.jpg
BHCS

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 05:01:13 PM »

ok-

i have found one on the same site as the other cable i needed Smiley

http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/604-28195-5753/UPH-OECV010-LCD-Cable-Extension.html

only problem is that it looks like it is missing a load of wires? or am i getting something wrong, my cable has 20 full wires but this only seems to have 10 going across?

thanks Smiley
cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »

Are you sure that's the cable you need? It's not an ffc cable.
Maybe every blue cable has two wires in it.
BHCS

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 05:24:03 PM »

Are you sure that's the cable you need? It's not an ffc cable.
Maybe every blue cable has two wires in it.
hmm,

there isnt any FFC cable on this monitor, thats why i got it Smiley

its the cable from the main circuit board to the LCD pannel itself.
cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 05:28:13 PM »

Oh, that's great. What monitor did you get?
BHCS

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 05:35:09 PM »

Oh, that's great. What monitor did you get?
BenQ FP547

but i need to extend this cable!

what should i do??
cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 07:40:39 PM »

Well, since they're regular cables, you can cut them and solder a piece inbetween. Or when you dont like soldering, you can attach them by twisting 'm together.
BHCS

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 08:18:28 PM »

Well, since they're regular cables, you can cut them and solder a piece inbetween. Or when you dont like soldering, you can attach them by twisting 'm together.
i suppose so Smiley
i know this is going to be a horrible question- but what type of wire would be best to use for this, i dont want any loss of quality and such, and i need them to be very small.

im such an idiot when it comes to some things....
cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 08:26:56 PM »

Well, I'm generally clueless on these kind of things too, except for the stuff I read about on this forum. Your best bet would be to get wire that is as much like the original wire as possible. It doesn't have to be blue, but it should be of a similar thickness and material.
BHCS

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 02:47:58 AM »

Well, I'm generally clueless on these kind of things too, except for the stuff I read about on this forum. Your best bet would be to get wire that is as much like the original wire as possible. It doesn't have to be blue, but it should be of a similar thickness and material.
true, but im still not sure,

somebody on here must know more about this, 18 gauge seems allright but im still unsure.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 12:07:23 AM »

It is not always easy to find thin wires -- even in local electronic shops -- One thing that is popular, is to use "wire wrap" -- you can find a roll of it relatively easily and for cheap -- there are a few gauges but they are all thin (22 to 30 AWG) -- probably fine for your case.  You can use network or telephone wire too (22/24/? AWG). These are "signal" wires for the most part, and for the power to the LCD, 3 or even more lines are used for that so the "load" is shared across many wires.

Soldering 20 wires -- is hum -- no fun at all -- 20 pins is a lot of pins when doing delicate work like that, just managing which goes where is a lot of work.  But certainly not impossible -- someone I think did it on the forum (can't recall who).

For the extension you saw -- yeah -- 10 pins -- it is not ideal, and I can't guarantee it will work. My LCD panel -- the original connector I think is 30 pin but only 9 + 4 power was actually wired to the laptop (!).  I know the LVDS signals are "differential" (2 wire per signal) -- so maybe the circuitry can actually "work" with "one" only. The other possibility is that some panels are "single channel LVDS", then almost half of the pins are not used. It is also possible (but then, I am not sure) that you might be able to install the missing wires -- but I do not have experience with that, it may or may not be true.

From the picture we can take a guess at which wire is connected.  And your LCD Panel is 20 pin, would have to find the pinout to check which wires are connected. Did we know if it is a single-channel or double-channel LVDS?  For a single channel LVDS on a 20 pin connector -- I think 5 of them are just ground and some others are also unused.

Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 10:03:23 PM »

I did exactly that when I had to change the screen on my Alesis drum brain. 

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: